How to use an apostrophe

KingBear

Hooligan
If you get my point, I don't care..... too much.

Which brings up a good point. Communication is a two-way street requiring effort to understand as well as to be understood.

I believe I am a reasonably articulate person when I write, but when I speak I often find myself stammering or halting while I search for the right words to express my thoughts. Some people like to make others look foolish by deliberately misunderstanding them, playing dumb, showing impatience or confusion, or restating a comment back as, "oh, you mean blah blah blah..." Yes, that is exactly what I mean and you obviously understand me, so why are you being such an asshole? I'm guilty of it myself from time to time. I recall expressing regrets that a business correspondent's medical practice was failing, but what did that have to do with the situation at hand? (He had repeatedly written that he was running out of "patients.")

I also dislike when people pretend not to understand common, though perhaps not technically correct phrases or expressions. If you don't understand the use of colloquialisms then you are the one with the communication problem or, more likely, simply not a very gracious individual. I love to use slang phrases for humor or emphasis. If you don't get it then the joke is on you.

We all fall prey to what I like to call the "Curse of the 'Send' button." Those are the errors we discover the moment we have submitted or sent a message. Sometimes I wish it worked more like the "Delete" button, with a pop-up message reading something like, "Are you sure you want to send this? It might make you look like an idiot."

And while I am on a roll, please allow for this gentle reminder. Italics are for emphasis, CAPS ARE FOR SHOUTING! Do learn the difference and use accordingly.

There is no more definitive indicator of intelligence and education than the way we write. Society is much more forgiving of the words we speak than those we present in writing, presumably because the written word can be seen and edited before publishing. I like to think we are all friends here and we treat posts as we would any casual conversation, but we might do well to pay a bit more attention, if for no other reason than to maintain good habits. For when it really matters. :)

Last edited:

Kframe

Street Tracker
Ooo, just thought of another example.

One goes to orientation to become oriented, not orientated.
(This may seem obscure, but in the workplace these words are thrown around quite a lot as we always have new hires that talk about being orientated.)

(I am aware that in the UK, orientated is acceptable, but I am referring to my region, :usa:)
-K

I admit it. I'm a self-proclaimed grammar Nazi. I can't turn it off. Here's a little something to help remind you guys about the correct way to use everyone's favorite punction mark: the oft-misued apostrophe. Seriously, some of you guys really fuck this up. I won't name any names....Bring on the hate.

You misspelled "punctuation" and "misused", and clauses that begin after a colon should be capitalized.:rtfr:

Last edited:

Kframe

Street Tracker
Sweatmachine said:
I admit it. I'm a self-proclaimed grammar Nazi. I can't turn it off. Here's a little something to help remind you guys about the correct way to use everyone's favorite punction mark: the oft-misued apostrophe. Seriously, some of you guys really fuck this up. I won't name any names....Bring on the hate.
You misspelled "punctuation" and "misused", and clauses that begin after a colon should be capitalized.:rtfr:

Oooo, calling out the caller-outer! :fight:

Hey Sweat, you're not supposed to close a sentence with a preposition!
:C
-K

KingBear

Hooligan
I once received a contract from a client with a sticky note attached pointing out a typographical error we had made. I sent it back to him with a sticky note of my own, pointing out that on his sticky note he had misspelled the word "misspelled." :D

I guess it could be worse.

(Edit - follow the link above, then see the word immediately following "misspelled" in the header.)

Last edited:

ivar

TT Racer
I think automatic spelling correction has made us lazy. We just don't think about correcting or proof-reading anymore.

No doubt about it! 10 years ago, my grammar was pretty good, now it's slipping more and more.

Well, as long as we're venting our pet peeves...
One thing that amazes me is the ability to find new, creative ways to spell Keihin. Not so bad here , but on a couple snowmobile forums I belong to, I bet it's spelled correct less than 20%.

A favorite of mine is "break", as in "break pads". And I've noticed that the Brits in general don't do better with the language than the rest of us, even though it's their language.