Trip Odometer Reset Knob

jphickory

Banned
Just realized I am missing my knob. :shh:

Anybody know where I can find a replacement?
My bike is a 2002. Thanks

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
You can find it at bike bandit, it's cheap like a few bucks. My problem is, that not only did the knob come off, the end of the stem that it attaches to somehow also broke, so I no longer have a threaded hole to screw into to hold the knob on! So it's futzing around with the damn needle nose pliers every time I go fill up. Ugh.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
Oddly enough, I took my bike into the dealer and my trip reset know was like a cone. I got it back and there was a cylinder type on there. No biggie. Mine has not flown off yet.

ivar

TT Racer
mine flew off. I'm replacing with a D9 custom brackets & guages! Expensive fix but worth it.

I'm thinking of finding a suitable valve cap to replace the plastic knob - should complement the D9 stuff nice. Cut off the plastic knob, then some epoxy on the shaft and thread on the valve cap after it sets.
aluminum-tire-valve-caps.jpg

jphickory

Banned
Thanks for the help guys. I see a brass colored threaded stem where the knob use to be. Anybody know the size of the threads? BlueJ - will the one from BikeBandit thread onto the stem?

Thanks for the help guys. I see a brass colored threaded stem where the knob use to be. Anybody know the size of the threads? BlueJ - will the one from BikeBandit thread onto the stem?

The stock item doesn't thread on. It slides on and is prevented from turning by a flat on the shaft. It's held in place with a small screw down the middle.

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
The stock item doesn't thread on. It slides on and is prevented from turning by a flat on the shaft. It's held in place with a small screw down the middle.

What Balto said. Except mine appears to have broken the shaft. I thought of the epoxy route also, but then you have to re-break it to get to the speedo lights when replacing them.

jphickory

Banned
Finally found an odometer reset knob. Now I need to locate the correct retaining screw that holds the knob in place. Does anybody know the size of the retaining screw? With this info I am hoping I might be able to pick one up at the hardware store. Thanks for any help folks.