how to spend my money?

drlapo

Hooligan
here is a fun question
I shoud be able to retire comfortably in 12 months if Obama does not destroy the economy or take away all our rights before then

I have a 1985 BMW R80, 1979 T140, 1972 BSA B50,2005 Thruxton, 2011 Tiger 800, 07 Mazda MX5, 2001, Ford F150
so I don't need any more vehicles

should I continue to work and amass more $ (for my heirs?) or should I retire and figure out how to enjoy life?
I've worked since I was 8
I'm not married and the kids have finally left the house so its my money
and my life
but what do I do with it??
:d

Last edited:

loxpump

Rocker
here is a fun question
I shoud be able to retire comfortably in 12 months if Obama does not destroy the economy or take away all our rights before then

I have a 1985 BMW R80, 1979 T140, 1972 BSA B50,2005 Thruxton, 2011 Tiger 800, 07 Mazda MX5, 2001, Ford F150
so I don't need any more vehicles

should I continue to work and amass more $ (for my heirs?) or should I retire and figure out how to enjoy life?
I've worked since I was 8
I'm not married and the kids have finally left the house so its my money
and my life
but what do I do with it??
:d
I always heard that if you plan right the last check you write to the undertaker should bounce.

strokerlmt

IFFFF I was in your position I wold retire.......its your time.....your heirs will be "ok"....have fun, experience, give back when you can....the way you feel with that freedom will be seen by your heirs and will give them more than money .
Enjoy...see....feel....experience....you are only here for a millisecond in the big picture......
LMT

2Monkeys

Street Tracker
I heard a great quote about this but can't remember who it was from... "It is not a sin to be wealthy, but it is a sin to die wealthy." I like the idea, keep and spend enough to live comfortably and do good with the rest.

Dave

Street Tracker
Perhaps you should renounce citizenship and retire abroad since you don't like the way this country is headed. Put your money where your mouth is and bounce. Retiring in another country does offer advantages.

hankmarx

750cc
Try a month or 2 off and see how you like it. I would try a short break and take a nice long ride around the country.

Perhaps you should renounce citizenship and retire abroad since you don't like the way this country is headed. Put your money where your mouth is and bounce. Retiring in another country does offer advantages.

Needlessly combative response is unwelcome.

Dave

Street Tracker
Needlessly combative response is unwelcome.

That's all fine and well, but I said it with a bit of seriousness. There have been many articles lately about how much farther your dollar can go whilst retiring in another country. Of course, not all countries are as receptive to that pesky free speech deal we have here :rolleyes:

RETIRE!
I retired when I was 56 and am now 62.
I made one mistake, I could have retired at 55, one year of my life wasted at work, bummer.

T-boy

Rocker
here is a fun question

should I continue to work and amass more $ (for my heirs?) or should I retire and figure out how to enjoy life?:d

I faced this exact same decision last December. I chose to retire at 62 & take the money. I put up with a lot of bullshit with my job, so I don't miss it one bit! Just to stay somewhat active I will be looking for a part time job where I can work 16 hours a week or so. If all things stay the same, my wife & I should be able to live comfortably on our savings & Social Security.

In a nutshell, there were 2 things that weighed heavily on my decision to retire at 62.
1. My father-in-law retired at 65...passed on at 69. the years from 62 to 65 should be pretty healthy years, but you never know when your time is up.
2. If you absolutely love your job...why not work until you're 65? I was not fond of my job at all.

By the way, today I'm scheduled to receive my first Soc Sec check. Please keep working hard you youngsters!

DandyDoug

750cc
I was sort of forced in to retiring early due to some health issues . It took me a while to get myself straight emotionally and physically, but have now adjusted to the situation as it is .

My advice : if you can afford it , retire as soon as you can , enjoy life , travel to those places you have always wanted to see.

When asked by younger folks about retirement, my answer is;
no matter how well you have planned , it won't be enough if any problems health wise come up. Plan better when you are young and retire as soon as you can.

drlapo

Hooligan
I doubt that I will leave the USA but I will leave the liberal Northeast and move to a red state
got to get my teeth fixed first while I still have dental insurance

slobinski

Scooter
If you can retire early, by all means do it. I'm 57 and just retired more or less accidentally-the construction business in central Orygun pretty much shut down back in '09. We held on for a while, laying off employees and scraping by on half pay when there was any work. Finally had everything pretty much wrapped up last summer and closed the business.

After at last getting the endless paperwork submitted, the pension checks will start coming in a couple weeks. It's going to take some getting used to. Some days are fine; plenty of projects and fun stuff to do, other times I don't know what to do with myself. Better weather will certainly help.

The big trip this year will be a return ride to Alaska via the Yukon and Northwest Territories; no time constraints for a change. I'm really looking forward to that, come June.

drlapo

Hooligan
I'm not going to retire eaerly unless 65 is early: my empoyer thiks I should stay until 70+
I'm healthy and like the job, bit is it time to play?
I'm just trying to figure out what to do
so many of my friends retire, stagnate and die: I'm not doing that!