How fast will it go?

79t140

Scooter
How fast will a new Bonnie go? I have a 79 and its slow as Molasses in January. I am getting a new/newer one this year, something from 2003 or newer. How fast will they go? Mine tops out at 95mph. Also, will they wheelie without popping the clutch? The 79 sure won't. I love my classic but need something faster and more fun.
Thanks

T-boy

Rocker
Sounds to me like you're looking at the wrong bike...especially if you're looking for top speed and the ability to pop wheelies. Just my opinion.

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
You get your new Bonnie all tricked out and performance increased, and you *might* be able to kiss 110 but that would be pretty effing amazing. If speed is of the essence, you want a different bike. But be careful!

:pd:

TXRider60

Scooter
You might read the review of the Bonneville SE (by Bill Stermer, I think) in a recent Rider Magazine... It helped determine my choice of a new Bonneville. Author has pretty high praise for the bike-- but with the disclaimer that if you want to burn rubber and pop wheelies, it's not the right vehicle. Wish I also had your '79 in the garage!

dbacher06

Scooter
I have an 03 Bonnie with a bunch of extra's and it tops out around 112. You cant squeeze much more then that out unless you open the motor, but then you lose reliabilility.

drlapo

Hooligan
I have a 79 T140 and an 05 Thruxton
the 79 is much quicker and accelerates much harder but the Thruxton will do 115 + so it is faster than the T140
the Thruxton will "wheelie" but it takes some effort
get a Speed Triple, Street Triple or a Daytona if you want handling, speed and wheelies (yes I have them in my garage too)

mikenva

Rocker
I have an 03 Bonnie with a bunch of extra's and it tops out around 112. You cant squeeze much more then that out unless you open the motor, but then you lose reliabilility.

not realy you can have a reliable bike thats built to if you plan it right and dont run the piss out of it all the time.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
I agree. you're looking at the wrong bike. Get a street triple. You can do wheelies and stoppies with that a lot better than any Bonnie. It will go faster and handle better than your skills and 99% of us out there.

fergie

Scooter
Slip it into 1st, Pin it and drop the clutch . It will wheelie for about 1 second before you are on your ass!

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
You can clutch up a wheelie in first at about 10 mph if you know how but its not great. I hear that they top out around 110. The Bonny to me feels torquey and quick most times.

strokerlmt

It is whatever you want......you can get a Jason whatever his name is, asian bike and it says it does 160 mph and you would be an idiot to try to do that. I remember watching him ride the salt at 140 something and he got freaked out because it wasn't pavement goin straight somewhere in Northeast USA. You can go for a Speed Triple which from what I understand is an excellent bike. Its a little tall...plenty of torque for wheelies and it looks great at the curb when the chick walks by that doesn't know shit about bikes. For me...no offence....the fairing asian bikes all look alike. My bike rolls by 100 easily keeps pulling hard and I back off quickly because it keeps going. I have no idea what it can do. BUT I know, is it can do a bunch and that is all that matters and I don't care who knows it.
LMT

Bonneville1

Scooter
Sounds to me like you're looking at the wrong bike...especially if you're looking for top speed and the ability to pop wheelies. Just my opinion.

Totally agree, I swapped my Honda CB1300 for a bike with class and style, a bike that every one stops to look at. a bike that will create discussion, a bike with enough power to give me the grin factor, Yes the Triumph Bonneville does everything I ever needed from 2 wheels.

mikenva

Rocker
You mean your bike wont pick the wheel up with just the throttle ?wonder why mine will. dang I wish my bike would do 130.