Eeek Guns!

Bonafide

NBR founder
Here's the Derringer and the Kel-tec vs Ruger.

Attachments

• derinnger.jpg
    derinnger.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 0
  • mini_pistolas_1.jpg
    mini_pistolas_1.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 0
  • mini_pistolas_2.JPG
    mini_pistolas_2.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 0

innominate

Street Tracker
Just picked up a Walther P99 QA in 9mm and take it to the range tomorrow for the first test. I'm digging it so far. My other pistol is a XDM .40 and the P99 has some features that I wish the XD had. but hey we shall see how it performs.

i picked up a XDM a few wks ago. only put about 100rds thru it so far. takin it back to the range tomorrow.

The Mrs. went all out one Christmas and picked up the Smith model 340sc snub for me. I love it for off duty. 12 oz. empty weight, .357 mag,"scandium" frame, hammerless. The first thing people ask me is "what about the recoil". It was not a problem. The black grips soak some of it up at the range when using 357s. The 38s out of it are not a problem. Under stressful shooting who is going to notice recoil anyway? You wont remember the sound, number of shots fired, etc., muchless the recoil.
i have one of these too. 357 outta this packs a punch. not too bad. but 38 is def easier at the range

Texas94fs

Hooligan
i picked up a XDM a few wks ago. only put about 100rds thru it so far. takin it back to the range tomorrow.

I really like it. Only thing I did was put a solid guide rod in and have put about 1500 rounds though mine. Once it loosens up it's even better. However every XDM I've shot shoots slightly left. Everyone I've ever seen shoot one, shoots them slightly left. Very small groupings but slightly left. I reckon it is just how the rear sight is from the factory.

Gretsch

Rocker
I really like it. Only thing I did was put a solid guide rod in and have put about 1500 rounds though mine. Once it loosens up it's even better. However every XDM I've shot shoots slightly left. Everyone I've ever seen shoot one, shoots them slightly left. Very small groupings but slightly left. I reckon it is just how the rear sight is from the factory.

Yep that happens to me too. I'm sure aftermarket sights could fix the problem (or make it worse :eeek:). I have the full size 9mm XDM. It's the ultimate zombie day gun with 19+1 rounds.

Bob80220

Scooter
I have had a change in direction regarding my new handgun purchase for CCW. I originally was looking at the compact S&W's, as well as other makes, but after doing my due diligence I am now looking to pick up a Springfield 1911 micro compact .45. I feel this will be a better piece for my personal needs. I am going to the gun shop tomorrow and their range to hopefully confirm my decision...

Bob

Skeeter

Rocker
on that link i posted for the new version of the LC9 they have an outline of the LCP on top and the LC0 is bigger bbut not but a lot. ill keep my eye on these.

I'm going to start the process to get my CHL soon. A new year's resolution if you will. I don't currently have a pistol but my dad is going to give me a really nice nickel S&W .357 snubnose revolver that originally belonged to my grandfather.

I also am thinking about picking up a subcompact Glock in .40 or an XD40. Thoughts on the Glock vs the XD?

innominate

Street Tracker
I'm going to start the process to get my CHL soon. A new year's resolution if you will. I don't currently have a pistol but my dad is going to give me a really nice nickel S&W .357 snubnose revolver that originally belonged to my grandfather.

I also am thinking about picking up a subcompact Glock in .40 or an XD40. Thoughts on the Glock vs the XD?

i've never shot a glock. just never liked the way it felt in my hand. but some swear by em. love the xdm i just got. it's a 9 but you can shoot it if ya want. what you doin this weekend? the saxet show is this weekend. i was gonna head out there to pick up some ammo. you wanna tag along?

innominate

Street Tracker

i never shot mine with the factory sights. i had the guy put triglo sights on before i even picked it up

i've never shot a glock. just never liked the way it felt in my hand. but some swear by em. love the xdm i just got. it's a 9 but you can shoot it if ya want. what you doin this weekend? the saxet show is this weekend. i was gonna head out there to pick up some ammo. you wanna tag along?

Maybe. I have to work Saturday but I won't know what time until Saturday morning. I'm off Sunday though.

I've shot a subcompact Glock in .40 a few times but it's been a long time. It's my dad's CC gun of choice, but he also keeps a few keltec .32s in the car. He has a gun in just about every direction ;). I think he keeps one on him, one in the door, and one in the center console.

geolpilot

Street Tracker
You may find that smaller is better both from the point of conceal-ability and comfort. I have carried a S&W 642, light and fairly easy to conceal, but harder than a small auto. I like the double action only because there is no hammer to catch on things and it is less likely to get lint in it. However, I have mostly carried a Seecamp .32, a Kel-tec .32 and more recently a Kel-tec .380. When I want more power, I carry a Kahr PM-9. Of those only the S&W and the Kahr are very accurate. Most of the time it is the Kel-tec .380 in a front pocket in a pocket holster ( a good ahern leather one which holds the gun upright). I like front pocket carry because it is well concealed, and I can be standing looking totally at ease with my hand on the gun with it loosened in the holster. It can appear very quickly. Between Honduras and the US I have carried for nearly 30 years. Small and light works. If it is hard to conceal, or uncomfortable, it tends to get left at home. The Kel-tec .380 is completely comfortable. I have never carried the revolver since getting the Kel-tecs and the Kahr. I shot the renewal with the Kahr and shot 244/250 even though it is a pocket pistol. I would not even consider trying with the Kel-tecs. I had a glock 19 for a long time, way too big.

geolpilot

Street Tracker
The .380 is more powerful and less accurate. The .32 is almost pleasant to shoot, the .380 hurts. With the .380, it is necessary to dremel the face of the trigger and the inside of the trigger guard and make it very smooth. When you fire it, your trigger finger slams into the front of the trigger guard. If you are going to shoot more than two or three magazines, put a band aid on your trigger finger first, it will get bloody. That said, it is generally my every day carry. Good .380 rounds are in the same power range as .38 special, but in a very compact package. I use .380 Remington golden sabre ammo. In the .32, I use either Winchester Silvertips, or the much more powerful Fiocchi hollow points. I prefer the Fiocchi. The Fiocchi .32 hollow points have the following velocity and energy values in the Kel-tec. 1071 ft/sec and 152 ft/lbs energy.

I don't have data for the .380.

The Kahr PM-9 with Winchester Ranger +P+ ammo yields 1131/360

.38 special semi-wadcutters are on the order of 771/208

Really hot .380 ammo can be on the order of 1050/220. This is from an internet search and is probably from a longer barrel than the Kel-Tec. The other values are chronograph measurements from my own guns.

All of these little pocket autos really need to have the feed ramp polished and about 200 rounds through them before they can be considered reliable. Kel-tec has fantastic customer support. Kahr seems good too. S&W revolvers benefit highly from a slight lighter weight trigger rebound spring. It is best to leave the hammer spring alone, if used for self defense.

Last edited:
thanks for the info. I had a Sig P232 in .380 a few years ago. I sold it when I was laid off and broke. I wish I'd kept it, but eating is important!

I didn't know you could get hot .380 ammo. Ignorance on my part. Does it affect the way the autos feed?

Oxblood

750cc
All of these little pocket autos really need to have the feed ramp polished and about 200 rounds through them before they can be considered reliable.

My wife loves her LCP and we haven't had a problem in over 1k rounds, never had to polish anything. On a side note here is a crappy cell phone pick of my birthday gift from my mother in law, I super excited to shoot it just haven't got a chance yet.

Ruger Mark II government target model belonged to my father in-law before he passed away in 99.

010711062423.jpg

Oxblood

750cc

I think it's kind of a chevy vs ford question. I carry a glock 26 and love it, never shot an xd though. Hear alot of good and bad about both and it seems to break down to personal preference.

Gretsch

Rocker

I have both. I like them both. I carry the Glock because I trust it and shoot it well. You should rent both and see what you shoot better.