Distressing your paint

Bullitt

Two Stroke
I'm on round 3 of tanks. Tank #2 is cursed. Thinking about taking my stock black tank and sanding it down, first taking it to completely matte, and then roughing it up in some areas, down to primer, and down to bare metal. Probably just matte clear over it once I'm satisfied.

Anyone done this before? Thoughts, advice, warnings, or just want to tell me I'm nuts for ruining a perfectly good paint job?

Not planning on going as nuts as this one, but somewhere in the ballpark:
DsitressedTank.gif

Last edited:

Bullitt

Two Stroke
What happened to your powdercoated one? Did I miss something?

Since putting on tank #2 (aka the powdercoated one) I've gone down twice - once off road which was really my own fault and once again 2 weeks ago where I was cut off by a huge van and went down on the side of the freeway. On top of that, I had a shelf break in my garage and dump old handlebars directly onto the top of the tank and put a nice golf-ball dent into the dead center of it. Prior to that, I'd NEVER gone down and never had any issues with the bike/tank.

I just think the silver tank needs a time out...

hankmarx

750cc
Since putting on tank #2 (aka the powdercoated one) I've gone down twice - once off road which was really my own fault and once again 2 weeks ago where I was cut off by a huge van and went down on the side of the freeway. On top of that, I had a shelf break in my garage and dump old handlebars directly onto the top of the tank and put a nice golf-ball dent into the dead center of it. Prior to that, I'd NEVER gone down and never had any issues with the bike/tank.

I just think the silver tank needs a time out...

Get rid of that thing!
It's worse than a tiki idol for Peter Brady!

Last edited:

Bullitt

Two Stroke
+1 If you want something old buy old. Don't force it. It's like buying pre-torn clothes. Kinda :ghey:

:flag: Hahaha.

Good analogy with pre-worn jeans. I do like to "earn" my rips and tears the proper way myself... Just trying to figure out something to do with my black tank other than go back to black. I love the look, but they're just becoming so damn common lately.

whyme

TT Racer
if you are going to faux at least take paint off where it could actually have worn off...underneath the badge is unlikely

Savantjk

Street Tracker
:flag: Hahaha.

Good analogy with pre-worn jeans. I do like to "earn" my rips and tears the proper way myself... Just trying to figure out something to do with my black tank other than go back to black. I love the look, but they're just becoming so damn common lately.

You could trade me :)

utah1

Scooter
Previous

i-FWwzXVw-L.jpg

Previous owner did the cooking on it, left a nice dull patina and a slight BBQ smoke smell. If you go this option make sure to empty contents, remove cap and wait a few days for fumes to clear. I'm planning on running it as is until I decide on paint or other options.

i-QWqkQ5w-L.jpg

i-8MXWbrL-L.jpg

Last edited:

Sixty-6

Scooter
I'm on round 3 of tanks. Tank #2 is cursed. Thinking about taking my stock black tank and sanding it down, first taking it to completely matte, and then roughing it up in some areas, down to primer, and down to bare metal. Probably just matte clear over it once I'm satisfied.

Anyone done this before? Thoughts, advice, warnings, or just want to tell me I'm nuts for ruining a perfectly good paint job?

Not planning on going as nuts as this one, but somewhere in the ballpark:
DsitressedTank.gif

Here's my take on it...

Attachments

• 268.jpg
    268.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 272.jpg
    272.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 1