Shinko 705's

Easy13

Street Tracker
DIY Seat Mod

The Harvest Classic in Luckenbach. Im stoked about it but I need to do something about this seat on my bike, this wknd was the first time I rode it since screwing my back up last month. I did only like 130 miles Sat. and Sunday and I wasnt worth a shit today. Good shocks would probably help alot but no dollars for that right now. Any good advice on re-padding and re covering would be cool. Moses you should go if you can. Sweat I may end up trailering to Austin and riding from there.

Nohawk, you might look around at:

http://diymotorcycleseat.com/

Good information and it turned out to be alot easier and cheaper than it sounds(at least it was on a stock seat...). I ended up using an exersize mat for the foam and it really made a big improvement in comfort with no change in appearance.

Rocker

Two Stroke
Dunlop 607s might be my next set of tires if I can't source Avon Azaro-STs.

Dunlop link: http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tirecatalog_tire.asp?id=83

I run the 607s, good in the rain, bit squirrelly/floaty on any loose stuff like unpaved graded roads. Seem to run 2 rear for 1 front, front seems to be scalloping though and have lots of tread left, run at recommended pressures so not sure why that's happening.
Don't ask how many kms, I seem to change out my speedo quite often and always forget to make a note of the oddometer reading.

2Monkeys

Street Tracker
I run the 607s, good in the rain, bit squirrelly/floaty on any loose stuff like unpaved graded roads.

Damn it! I was about to get some 607's as i have gravel in every corner of the country roads I ride... perhaps the Shinko's... reports on the 705's anyone?... please.

em_dot

Street Tracker
run the 607s, good in the rain, bit squirrelly/floaty on any loose stuff like unpaved graded roads. Seem to run 2 rear for 1 front, front seems to be scalloping though and have lots of tread left, run at recommended pressures so not sure why that's happening.

Yea, I heard 607s are really sticky on pavement, worthless off road, and don't seem to last all that long (aka sticky).

It's super hard to find a good street radial in 140/80ZR17. Plenty of 150/70, but it's such a sketchy size for a 3.5" rear rim IMO.

northcountry

Two Stroke
705s

On advriderdotcom in the beast section, there is a shinko post with 100 pages of threads. All things considered, good bang for the buck. Stick and wear good, and decent in the gravel.

six by six

Two Stroke
Nohawk, how does the wider front tire work out? I just ordered a rear tire but I was unsure of changing the size of the front from stock. My local shop preaches to never change tires from the stock size. I like the tread pattern so I may buy the front tire you have.

nohawk

Rocker
The wider front might have made the steering a little heavier but not much. I got some pretty wide bars so maybe I just dont notice it. I rode in some very heavy rain this weekend and the shinkos performed excellant. Mileage will be interesting though, they feel like a soft compound.

six by six

Two Stroke
Thanks. I'm replacing the Sport Demons that lasted barely a year. Nice and sticky but I commute too many miles for it to be worth it.

nohawk

Rocker
Easy13, thanks for the seat link. I just need to figure out the best way to stick the cover back on to the fiberglass seat pan and then Ill have a go at making it more comfy.

nohawk

Rocker
Thanks. I'm replacing the Sport Demons that lasted barely a year. Nice and sticky but I commute too many miles for it to be worth it.

The shinkos will feel alot different then the sport demons I bet but Im sure getting used to them. Even scraped the sidestand on a left turn today,chicken strips are shrinking.

2Monkeys

Street Tracker
well just bought a pair of 705's from Americanmototire for $113.08 shipped... 110 front 140 rear, we'll see how they are, but I certainly won't be complaining about the price. Cheers

cynr1023

TT Racer
wow!
I've still got to buy a back tire to match the front I got a couple months ago. And it'll be more than both of your tires.

MOSES

750cc
Alright, first impression after ditching the old Tourance's was a little scary but a good day of riding and i like em so far. These things definately have some tread and track a little strange, a little bumpy at low speeds but is a given with the lugs. They seem to dig into the corners very well but seem to pull you in more than I like. None the less, these things are a steel for the price and if I can get 4000miles out of a set then I'll be a happy man !

Attachments

• backrest 3.jpg
    backrest 3.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 0

nohawk

Rocker
Spot on Moses except mine dont really want to pull you in harder in turns, seems to take a little more effort to fall in to a curve.I have about 1300 miles on the shinkos now and I can see some sort of stress cracks around the base of the treads on the rear but I kinda like how they feel and like you, if I can get another 3k out of them Ill be stoked.

six by six

Two Stroke
Got my set mounted today. I only got to ride the 3 miles home from the shop in the pouring rain. Some dipshit cut me off and new tires aren't grippy in the rain. Saved it though. I'll update more next week when I get some commuting miles on them.

I received the rear with an "H" speed rating and the front came with a "Q" speed rating. I e-mailed Shinko about it and a US rep replied in 15 minutes. He said no problem just don't run hard at 99 mph. Easy enough.

2Monkeys

Street Tracker
Got my set mounted today. I only got to ride the 3 miles home from the shop in the pouring rain. Some dipshit cut me off and new tires aren't grippy in the rain. Saved it though. I'll update more next week when I get some commuting miles on them.

Not surprising that they don't grip when they are new and in the rain. Hope you like them better as you break them in. Keep the updates coming.