Cb450

There have been a lot of updates actually, but when I would think of posting shit here and elsewhere I would just end up thinking, "Eh, who cares?"

So I guess I'll post some stuff this weekend. Glad to see some interest!

It's probably more to do with my own interest level. I've been finding it hard to get excited about anything motorcycles for about a year.

I think a big problem is that none of the companies I like are making new bikes, and if they do, they're things that I am personally uninterested in (ie, Tiger Explorer, Trophy, Diavel, etc).

I need to get back into it, but not sure how. I just got back from a trip to Europe (England, France, Italy) and I was really pumped by their motorcycle cultures. Our hotel in Paris was on a street by the Arc de Triomph called Les Grande Armee, and the entire street on both sides was motorcycle dealerships and gear stores and shops. Not only that, but it was all really high quality, tasteful shit. No chrome in sight, no painted on flames, no ridiculous nonsense. It was just mean machines, purpose-built, and ridden for the joy of riding.

I'm just so tired of being mean-mugged by weekend warrior pussies on Harley's. I ride my fucking motorcycle as a commuter, I ride in rain and lightning, and I build shit myself- Don't look at me like a tough guy because my feet are on rearsets instead of highway pegs. I hate the superiority bullshit from people riding machines that are rolling obscenities of noise and poor taste.

I came back from Europe wanting a BMW F800R, New Norton (rumors aside), and another project bike to work on, but I hate spending money.

If only Triumph would come out with a NEW motorcycle. I know it's controversial, but I want a Bonneville with edgier styling and more intense equipment (suspension, wheels, etc.). I know this is kind of the niche of the Street Triple, but... I don't know.

Ah well. I guess I'll finish shaving my triple tree tonight and hope that old spark comes back. Sorry to bitch.

Last edited:

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
It's probably more to do with my own interest level. I've been finding it hard to get excited about anything motorcycles for about a year.

I think a big problem is that none of the companies I like are making new bikes, and if they do, they're things that I am personally uninterested in (ie, Tiger Explorer, Trophy, Diavel, etc).

I need to get back into it, but not sure how. I just got back from a trip to Europe (England, France, Italy) and I was really pumped by their motorcycle cultures. Our hotel in Paris was on a street by the Arc de Triomph called Les Grande Armee, and the entire street on both sides was motorcycle dealerships and gear stores and shops. Not only that, but it was all really high quality, tasteful shit. No chrome in sight, no painted on flames, no ridiculous nonsense. It was just mean machines, purpose-built, and ridden for the joy of riding.

I'm just so tired of being mean-mugged by weekend warrior pussies on Harley's. I ride my fucking motorcycle as a commuter, I ride in rain and lightning, and I build shit myself- Don't look at me like a tough guy because my feet are on rearsets instead of highway pegs. I hate the superiority bullshit from people riding machines that are rolling obscenities of noise and poor taste.

I came back from Europe wanting a BMW F800R, New Norton (rumors aside), and another project bike to work on, but I hate spending money.

If only Triumph would come out with a NEW motorcycle. I know it's controversial, but I want a Bonneville with edgier styling and more intense equipment (suspension, wheels, etc.). I know this is kind of the niche of the Street Triple, but... I don't know.

Ah well. I guess I'll finish shaving my triple tree tonight and hope that old spark comes back. Sorry to bitch.

Fuck dude...I was reading this and getting the impression that I could have written it. I recently had to go to Alaska in support of a fly exercise for a month and quickly got the same impression after being back in the states only a few days. Just remember what brought you into this...it wasn't the fucktards playing dress up...it was the bike itself. That and everyone once in a while flip someone off...it truly does help! :finger2::beer:

sanjuro

Two Stroke
I know it's controversial, but I want a Bonneville with edgier styling and more intense equipment (suspension, wheels, etc.).
Isn't this why almost everyone on this forum has bought an aftermarket exhaust, upgraded the suspension, removed the airbox, bobbed or removed a fender, etc. Point is I don't think it's such a controversial thought; we pretty much all feel in some way that Triumph has dropped the ball on a high performance, stylized special edition to the Bonnie lineup.

Great point. It was people's reactions to the speed twin concept bike that made me think it was kind of a sore spot here. I happen to love that concept bike personally. Just the right blend of modern technical engineering and classic style.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
I hear you on the poor taste. You wrote the ultimate rebuttal to those who say to each his own. After a while the skulls and flames and ridiculously loud pipes really wear on you. Sounds like you are a little burned out on motorcyle culture.

I just ride as a fun transportation and a little stress reducer.

simpson

TT Racer

Hell. Yes.

-simpson

Well I just got back from the 20th annual Larz Anderson Classic European Motorcycle Show.

Seeing all those bikes that I love was a big mood adjuster as far as the motorcycle culture talk.

It also helps that I won(!) first place in the Modern Triumph Class and got a little glass plaque!

Feelin fine. Haha

sanjuro

Two Stroke
Congrats on the win, and glad you got to be around some good motorcycle culture. It helps big time. That's why I'm looking forward to the Barber Vintage Festival next month.

So here's a couple shots of some work. This was when I decided against the Clubmans I had mounted and went instead with shaving the top triple tree and using clipons.

First I ground off the cast handlebar risers, and the tabs that held the old gauges.
7988851294_368c0b567a_z.jpg

Then over to the deburring wheel to flatten the bumps, then to the polishing wheel. You can also see here where I decided to mount the speedometer. Its off the frame, near the front of the gas tank down below. From a riding position you can see the gauge clearly, though I know looking down that far isn't totally safe, but who uses a speedometer anyway? The tach is mounted in the CEV headlight bucket.
7988839666_4a07b8896d_z.jpg

Next I rebuilt the hand controls, which were toast internally. Decided to paint the back portion while polishing the aluminum tops and levers.
7988843773_aa1ae50ba4_z.jpg

7988850562_8ecd3d4221_z.jpg

Will post up the mounted controls, clipons, and other junk later on. Working on the brakes today!

Small update and a question :

Put on the Tarozzi Clip Ons that came in the mail and attached the left side lever and controls.

8001529523_68f654d876_z.jpg

New rear brake switch and I had to splice together the dongle for the charging system. I'm preeeetty sure I got the right wires together...

8001529290_5cb5c78547_z.jpg

I painted the battery box just a satin black because it will be hidden behind the side covers and seat. It looks clean and is rust free, so that's good!

8001529932_3055a62d62_z.jpg

So this is where I need some help. IDK if anyone here has some experience with these old Honda's. Well, I know Bonafide does, since his old 750 was what made me first say "Damn, those Honda's can be the awesome." Anyway...

I removed the cable going to the starter motor from the solenoid and atached the solenoid and rectifier back on to the battery box. Did this because my starter was shot and I am going kick only, until that becomes a huge nuisance.

From that solenoid, doesn't that large red cable go to the positive post on the battery? If so, what is the other large red cable that has a (potentially aftermarket??) fuse box attached to it?? I'm trying to get the electrics sorted, but this is NOT my strong suite.

8001529632_0b28d2664f_c.jpg

Please help. Thanks!

Oh, I also resto-modded this planer.

8001528137_ee52f604ed_z.jpg

Couple small things again.

Finally found a rear sprocket after getting at least four that the ebay seller's claimed would fit. They didn't till now.

8024831833_b61e1fbb5c_z.jpg

Finished cleaning up the brake reservoir and replaced the master cylinder boots and circlips. Just have to polish the cap.

8024832069_35c354af7d_z.jpg

And pretty much have the controls together. Also installed a front fender from a Honda CL350. It's smaller than the 450, but uses the same mounting points. I just had to cut away a bit of the bracket because the CL has a drum brake and the bracket contacted the 450's caliper mount.

The fender will be painted along with the bodywork, but it's mounted for fitment and so the thing starts looking like a motorcycle again. Wheels are coming soon.

8024830758_1fb8271423_z.jpg

I've got another wiring question (sorry), so those pics are coming.