Cb450

Cereal KLR

Two Stroke
Looking Great!

Just one thing to mention, the sprocket acorn nuts are not a locking fastener, hate to see anyone get scabbed up with a quick stop.

Looking Great!

Just one thing to mention, the sprocket acorn nuts are not a locking fastener, hate to see anyone get scabbed up with a quick stop.

Thanks. As I put those on I was thinking that. I didn't have the right size in any other fastener, but you're right. I'll definitely change those out. Probably with oem stuff. Thanks again!

Cereal KLR

Two Stroke
No problem. I like the "finished" look of acorn nuts, but will not use them on anything structural or driveline related. You can`t tell the depth of the fasterner to see if it bottoms in the nut first (bad news) or is clamping the material correctly.

I have tried using Loctite with them, and included a lock washer (which looked wrong) and still didn`t like the result, so on this stuff use grade 8 bolts with fresh lockwasher and nut. Probably overkill, but I prefer to exit the vehicle the old fashioned way, when stopped.

Bonafide

NBR founder
Impressive project.

Ya know I've had a couple Benjie tanks/seats. Got an aluminum set sitting in boxes - waiting for the perfect bike to build. I prefer 750s tho.

Bonafide, Thanks. As I said a bit earlier I think, your 750 you posted was what initially got my attention on the older Japanese bikes. I found the 450 for I think 400 dollars so I couldn't pass it up.

My friend has a 750 and the thing is awesome. He needs to get some work going on it and make it something special.

The Benjie's tanks look so good. I heard someone say they needed a lot of body work before they were ready for paint, is that true?

So more bullshit to pass the time till parts for the CB arrive.

Found this at the scrap yard when dropping off a load of aluminum from work. It's a Walworth pipe wrench with leaf springs. Made in Boston, MA (20 minutes north of me) between 1892 and 1911, it was in great condition, albeit completely rusted and with a worn out handle. The jaws of the wrench are completely unmarred, almost as if it had never been used but simply stored in a tool box for the past 101 years.

I blasted it, primed it, painted it, clearcoated it, oiled and buffed the wooden handle, and tightened up a couple wiggles it had. Looks great and matches my Walworth pipe vise!

I like it a lot, but as always, my family members have problems and it's up for sale on ebay. Hopefully it sells and someone can appreciate it!

I'm continuing work on the CB this weekend, so more of those updates will come.

8031212453_dabe63ae42_z.jpg

8031209208_b8f4fd9854_z.jpg

8031210084_3001d6d8f4_z.jpg

8031210372_0532455d19_z.jpg

8031213529_6dae8731db_z.jpg

Bonafide

NBR founder
The Benjie's tanks look so good. I heard someone say they needed a lot of body work before they were ready for paint, is that true?

Well, I dont do paint/body work so I really couldnt tell you. The painter who painted the black bike never said anything about it. That bike's body work was steel. I would imagine those negative opinions are based on fiberglass parts .. and dont ALL fiberglass parts need a lot of finishing work? I dunno.

My current Benjie tank/seat .. been sitting around waiting on me to do something.

Attachments

• alum_2011_re2.jpg
    alum_2011_re2.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 0
  • alum_re2_2011.jpg
    alum_re2_2011.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 0
Well, I dont do paint/body work so I really couldnt tell you. The painter who painted the black bike never said anything about it. That bike's body work was steel. I would imagine those negative opinions are based on fiberglass parts .. and dont ALL fiberglass parts need a lot of finishing work? I dunno.

My current Benjie tank/seat .. been sitting around waiting on me to do something.

They actually were talking about the fiberglass stuff. Good call.

And that aluminum is just too incredible. Get to work on something.

Bonafide

NBR founder
And that aluminum is just too incredible. Get to work on something.

Got two 74 CB750s (sold a 73) .. but not enough time in the day and lack of motivation. Purple Haze is getting attention first (easiest project). I like the color so much that I'm going to keep the stock body pieces and re-paint the "Boss Maroon". It is getting a few 'upgrades' tho.

Attachments

• 1974CB750_2.jpg
    1974CB750_2.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 0

monty

Street Tracker
Can I just add how much I am enjoying this build. Came to this late as I have not been around much recently.

I love the way this is coming together. In particular the CEV headlight and the top yoke give the bike a real sixties Italian lightweight { Ducati single?} look to the front end.

Wonderful!!

More please:snack:

Monty

Your not the only one that came in late on this project monty, but I concur this project is sweet but there doesnt appear to be any updates since.

I've been working on it, believe it or not. Sorry the thread died.

I'll post up soon. This month things are coming together in a big way, so the bike will be pounding pavement by summer.

Been doing some work on the old Honda. Here are some updates with a lot more coming after this weekend.

I removed the old points and breaker plate and replaced it with a NOS one. I also replaced the coils, condenser, spark plug wires and plug boots.

I had to fabricate some simple little aluminum brackets to mount the new coils, as they were not NOS coils. This was the most time consuming part, but it works.

I also got a new tachometer and installed that (simple). You can see what the dash area is going to look like now. Doing something a little interesting (ie. stupid) with the speedometer to keep the top end looking clean and minimal. When sitting on the bike you can see the speed easily sitting down below and next to and to the front of the gas tank.

Pictures :

Old parts. Yuck.
9273007306_3d3bed3eb3_z.jpg

New parts. Yeah.
9270221521_b70a5e9e95_z.jpg

Simple brackets.
9270222005_9e2d2dd3d4_z.jpg

New tach. Think that's running a little high?
9273008640_48a73d6c7a_z.jpg

The dash area.
9273009118_54c5f804f8_z.jpg

That's it for now. As I alluded to earlier, I have a lot of parts coming in the mail. Custom indicator lights for one. That should be something fun and new. Aiming for a September finish on this project that has taken an outrageous amount of time. Granted, I did simply decide I wasn't working on it for over a year...

I just wanted to post this up here because I like keeping a log of everything I've been doing in the garage. Not necessarily related to the Honda or Triumph, but these are some of the things I tinker with when I've had enough of the bike scene.

A really old Speedy Pipe Vise with Bronze jaws!

8343689515_224b48c732_z.jpg

The nice bronze jaws.

8343689031_81eca96698_z.jpg

An old vise, before and after.

8243121832_eaa911bd78_z.jpg

8251260598_2332dc485b_z.jpg

And I've been spending some time replacing some rusty OEM bolts on the old Bonneville with 18-8 Stainless. Just really small improvements. I have Ohlins shocks and a Brembo brake kit to install, but that can wait. I really don't even ride this thing anymore and it makes me really unhappy! Then again, I'm a fucking adult man with no children and an understanding wife. I'm going out for a ride right now. So long assholes. : D

9273103154_9065db6f53_z.jpg

Kiwi

Two Stroke
Just read the thread from the start - wow. Great work on the bike, and I like the restored tools too. Thanks for posting it all.