Booze and bikes

msc66

Two Stroke
Went to a shindig/ street party at a local pub called the Hellbilly Family Reunion last night. Good turn out of brit bikes, couple of nice Ducatis and the usual shit load of Harleys (some cool ones there too).

Towards the end of the night some guy goes ripping up the street through the crowd and just as he passes us his buddy pulls out from the curb right in front of him and BLAM! Busted up bikes, spilled oil and gas and some blood. The first dude kept saying he was ok but he wasn't walking too well. Don't know if he was hurt, drunk or both. Call me square but I never mix alcohol and riding for reasons just like this.

cynr1023

TT Racer
It's like poker runs that stop at 4 different bars, not the brightest idea in my book. But hey, it'll think out the idiots that drink and ride.

RoyNC

Street Tracker
2 Harleys?

No big loss.....:fight:

Agreed. Reminds me of the ABATE group here in NC that was flashing their rights not to wear helmets with a protest and one of the Harley guys crashed and died. Doctors said he would have lived if he had a helmet.

Stupid is as Stupid does!!

badda_bing

Two Stroke
I never drink booze on the bike. The ice melts too fast. But I do love a good beer coozy to keep the beer cold.

motomaniac

Street Tracker
Agreed. Reminds me of the ABATE group here in NC that was flashing their rights not to wear helmets with a protest and one of the Harley guys crashed and died. Doctors said he would have lived if he had a helmet.

Stupid is as Stupid does!!

What? You mean his dew rag and pirate outfit didn't protect him? That's a shocker!

nohawk

Rocker
Darwinism.

yup.

Some brainiac on a big dog chopper left a bar around here awhile back and hauled ass up the two lane road, passed a couple of cars on the shoulder and hit a broken down pick up at about 100 mph while on the shoulder. He lived but he doesnt have legs anymore.

KingBear

Hooligan
A couple weeks ago I went to bike night at a local wing joint. I'd been once or twice before but not for a couple of years. I guess I either didn't remember what it was like or maybe never really realized it, but I found that I didn't fit in with the dirt-bag Harley crowd or the high-speed sport bikers. I quickly left and headed across town for a different place. I guess I'm more of a quiet coffee shop kind of rider than the loud drunken crowd type, and I don't have to worry too much about getting caught driving under the influence of a soy latte.

mark66

TT Racer
There you go! Sounds just like me. I left that shit behind when I started riding again. In fact one day my son and I where outside SBUX with our bikes and some lady says to us......funny to see you guys here at a coffee shop!

Booze and Bikes, do NOT go together. Booze and cars don't either but that's another story.

koifarm

Hooligan
Unfortunately and likely due to years of the public hearing tales of "Outlaw" bikers, there exists in society a preconceived notion that all bikers are both outlaws and drunks.
If the person uttering such concepts is over 50 it's likely they carry the misconception that "all" bikers are the same way and that's difficult if not impossible to erase from the minds of the mindless.
It's just something we all have to live with. Although it's a pain in the ass to listen to it and the urge to try and change that notion is strong it's doubtful we can change that opinion at all. But we can try.
The other unfortunate part of that equation is that despite what "regular" bikers do to try and change the perceived image of drunken outlaw bikers, there still exists the occasional Neandertal throwbacks who validate all those preconceived notions to the news media driven public. And thus perpetuate those original thoughts and impressions.
And there you have it.....

Mike Britton

Two Stroke
Coolest thing happened right after I bought my Scram back in May.
Up at the mall is a sports bar that caters to bikes. They have a bike exclusive parking area, and on the weekends it's usually full of the standard mix of Harleys, clones, and crotch rockets. IMHO, the DFW area is slim on Triumphs, both old and new.
I'm cruising around getting to love my new to me Scram, and I decide, "what the hell, I'll idle through the parking lot of the "Red neck bar" just for giggles. Quite a few people there, it was a beautiful day. As I turned into the lot, and went idleing by, all the activity out on the lot came to a stop. It was like I was driving the lunar lander! One big leather covered buffalo jumped up to say something, and knocked over several beers on the table he was at.
I had to grin a little in my helmet when I pulled onto the frontage road.
I don't think any of us bought a Triumph to "be seen" on it, we bought it for how it makes us feel. And as a rule, I find Triumph riders don't think they have to be "snockered" to have a good time. Riding, in itself is the good time. Still, it was kind of nice to see your bike cause a break in the action. Pun intended.

Kframe

Street Tracker
In my area, we have Defeat of Jesse James Days each September, and other events begin in August as a lead up to the festivities.

Yesterday we had the "Outlaw Run" motorcycle ride, that started and stopped at two bar/grill's, and stopped at two others during the ride, for 'refreshments'.
We happened to drive by the start point a few hours before the ride started and there were already several dozen bikes lined up, and I assume the riders were inside boozing.
Total, I think there were about 200 bikes that participated. Stupid.
:piss::cheers:

NOT my idea of fun: riding with a huge group of riders with unknown levels of skill, and unknown BAC levels.
No thanks, I'll stick to lone riding or with a couple people I know well.

I love drinking beer, but I save it for AFTER the ride, when I'm home.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
I'm definitely not a fan of a guy heading out to a bar get a few into him and proceed to swing a leg over a bike.

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Mike there is a lot of cool trumps up there in the DFW, you just gotta get out and find the joints. check out hollywood 5 and dime I think the 24th they're having a Brit bike burnup night

Mike Britton

Two Stroke
Thanx, 94.
I've never been too much of a club guy, so I don't always get the latest info on where everyone is. Add to that the fact that I'd rather get out on the two lane by myself.
It's not that I'm trying to be anti-social, I don't really have to try, I just naturally am.
For me those rides out on the county roads are meditational. Is that a word?

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Old guy named Ralph IIRC owns the shop, it's worth a ride down either way, no club just a good group of guys that like caffs and hangin out. I understand about those country road rides though, soon as it cools off I'm gonna ride the damn wheels off my bike!

RoyNC

Street Tracker
I love riding and I love drinking. Yeah I meet friends all the time out at bars, etc... fortunately for me we go to bars where I have gotten friendly with the owners and if i am too drunk to drive I just park it round back and hitch a ride. Never had a problem.

oldmanjob

Scooter
I put the cork in the bottle back in 1976 (yes i am an old fart:headbang2:) and have never looked back. Booze and bikes do not mix, the same goes for booze and any motorized vehicle. I stay away from any charitable or group rides that end up at biker friendly bars. The last ride for a Breast cancer cure ride i went (three weeks ago) on at the final stop at the local VFW post, around the back the beer flowed like a river. Will not do that ride again. Save the boobs, but kill a biker :chair: