Blue headers - once and for all

dschief

750cc
Why would any manufacturer send a bike out that lean? They can't know the weather conditions a bike is going to endure. As you say it would get leaner in the cold and what if the air pressure was really high as well, it could be so lean engine damage could occur. Every Triumph twin I've tested comes from the factory averaging about 12.3AFR, which gives plenty of room for changing weather conditions.

Maybe your bike needs 1/4 of a turn out on your pilots to help cold starting.
I never said I was still having problems, both my bikes have had the jetting corrected.
On the subject of lean versus rich, I do know that at least one bike that was being tested by The Horse magazine, a 2001 Bonneville if memory serves, holed a piston due to a lean condition. I have not heard of anyone complaining (in the US, remember bikes are market specific) that their bike was set up too rich from the factory. Anyone?
I'm sure the A/F ratio is within the safe realm, it would have to be or, as you said, the engine would be ruined on the first cold day.

nohawk

Rocker
Both the Hinkley twins Ive had (04 Thrux, 05 t100) have been too lean, maybe different emission laws in the UK?

Boofhead

Banned
I though the idea was release them lean to get past emission control laws , running them to rich would be against there best interest in getting approval i would have thought

It's easy enough to figure out if different jetting is used for different markets, the standard 865 setup is 110 mains, 40 pilots & NBZT needles. Has anybody found that their Bonny 865 came from the factory with anything other than these settings?

PieMan

Two Stroke
The air injection system gets them past the emmision control laws. This doesn't mean they run lean, just what comes out of the exhaust appears lean.

Last edited:

mikenva

Rocker
well being a old auto mechanic I will tell you this much when they first started useing air injection it was to get rid of HC .HC is caused by mixtures being to lean (unburnt gas)If it goes to rich it puts out CO. I dont know how the bikes on your side of the pond come but most over here are to lean to make max power .Most everything we ride ,drive or even cut grass with comes from the factory to lean to run its best.The other thing that might not be the same over here most places over here dont have stright gas any more.E10 in most cases ,it takes more E10 fuel then gas to run its best allso.EPA laws are not the same here as over there allso.So who knows .

PieMan

Two Stroke
As AussieT100 says, all the carb Bonnies came out of the factory with the same jetting. Maybe E10 is the difference, but having no experience with E10, would it make an engine run that much leaner?

mikenva

Rocker
It will make it leaner .I allso wonder if a bike tuned there might tend to run leaner over here .My bike stock was over 14to1 on the dyno .I know of some that have been leaner then that.whats normal air pressure there mike?Alot of things can come into play with tuneing thats why I say no one size fits all as far as jetting goes.

Stars&Bars

Two Stroke
Why would any manufacturer send a bike out that lean?

Three Letters My Friend, EPA One of our Alphabet Agencies here in the US. These misguided Do-Gooders, for the most part, are just a burden to the people of America. :screwy:
As Thomas Jefferson once said, "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."
I believe this quote to be true especially when the subject of the EPA comes up.
BTW, I've used Blue Away in the past but now I just live with the golden bluish hue with some greasy fingerprints "burned" in for the depth effect. :cool:

Three Letters My Friend, EPA One of our Alphabet Agencies here in the US. These misguided Do-Gooders, for the most part, are just a burden to the people of America. :screwy:
As Thomas Jefferson once said, "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."
I believe this quote to be true especially when the subject of the EPA comes up.
BTW, I've used Blue Away in the past but now I just live with the golden bluish hue with some greasy fingerprints "burned" in for the depth effect. :cool:

Your B.S. comment about the EPA got me riled. Let's bring back DDT, allow Pall Malls and Lucky Strikes to be smoked on airplanes, pour untreated waste water in the rivers and seas, eat fish loaded with mercury..... Thank god someone gives a damn about the air we breathe and the water we drink. END OF RANT.

KingBear

Hooligan
What a [nit]-wit you are, FL-T100! Informed people now know that banning DDT was a stupid and unnecessary thing to do, a decision which to this day is responsible for the continued spread of deadly malaria throughout Africa. And forget the mercury in our fish, now we bring it into our homes in the form of "better" light bulbs while the jobs to produce them are shipped overseas. Yeah, maybe the agency does do some good, but they do just as much if not more bad. So [forget] you and the EPA you rode in on. NOT THE END OF RANT.

Last edited:
I ended up on buying Raask headers, no more blueing problems :)

I love the Raask headers too. I was a little shocked when I saw my 03 T100 Bonneville displayed in their web site. I am not sure how they got the pictures, but there they are.

Attachments

• NH and Raask Installed 001.jpg
    NH and Raask Installed 001.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 0
  • NH and Raask Installed 004.jpg
    NH and Raask Installed 004.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 0
  • NH and Raask Installed 005.jpg
    NH and Raask Installed 005.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 0

tuquoque

Scooter
Nice looking bike and headers look great.

Is it necessary to remove AI to keep the blue away? Because of the environmental reasons I wouldn't want to remove the AI but if even the Raask will get blue with AI installed I need to consider it.

Kappy

Two Stroke
Travelingtenor, I see that you have installed the same HD mufflers as I have installed on my T100 ( 2010 MY). Did you have to modify the mufflers or did they just slip on the 2" Raask headers easily ?

I have the same mufflers but do like very much the combination/ looks with the Raasks