2011 vs 2012 Bonnevilles

palmxp3

moped
Hello All,

I am a first time rider and have just completed the MSF. I plan on purchasing a Bonnie as my first bike and my local dealer has a 2011 instock. Are there any improvements on the 2012 models or should I just go with the 2011 model if I can get a better deal on it? Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks!

mark66

TT Racer
If it was me and I liked the color of the 2011, and I could get a better price, I'd go for the 2011. Not sure of any differences because I haven't checked out the 2012's yet, but someone here probably does. Oh yeah, welcome to the forum.

palmxp3

moped
Thanks! If that is the case, then I will try to negotiate the for the bike with the best price all things being equal. From what I can see on the website, the colors for the 11' and 12' are identical??

bs20ric

moped
It's possible the older model may not have the latest CANBUS electronics.

Personally that would be more of an influence than the colour of the bike.

albo

Scooter
Just returned from main dealerand have been shown the 2012 Bonne.The useless 'idiot' lights are now within the speedo and tacho displays and I am given to understand are brighter! Couldn't be dimmer.Anyone know otherwise?

9mmMike

Scooter
Someone posted that the 2012's may have a reworked airbox to allow for a larger battery to address the tiny battery/low voltage EFI issue.
I cannot confirm this though.
FWIW, I have not had any problems with my 2010 T100 Black with the small battery.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
The Bonneville's styling has been very basic ever since it came out. The engine has gone from 790 to 865, without a huge difference in performance (cams are hotter in 790s). The fuelies have been out a while again without a huge difference in performance (might just have been The EPA requirements).

Like all long model runs (has it actually been over ten years?) that are successful, Triumph doesn't mess with success. I'd say differences between a new 2011 vs a 2012 are minute. Park a 2000 Bonnie and a 2012 Bonnie side by side and there might be differences, but you'd have to point em out and be fairly close to see what they are.

T100JIP

Scooter
palmxp3,

I understand the 2012 has a Cherry Red/White color on the T100 and a Gray/Black on the T100 also. The Bonneville is available in Gold.
T100JIP

Last edited:

palmxp3

moped
palmxp3,

I understand the 2012 has a Cherry Red/White color on the T100 and a Gray/Black on the T100 also. The Bonneville is available in Gold.
T100JIP

Does that mean Triumph's website has not been updated yet? I am looking at the SE model, and the 12' colors are the same as 11' (black, blue & white, orange & black) with no Gold.

Stars&Bars

Two Stroke
bs20ric, What is this CANBUS electronics you write of? This is not a term I'm familiar with.
I guess I'm the only one who isn't aware of what your speaking of.
Please, Do tell.

Last edited:
>"What is this CANBUS electronics you write of?"

New electrial system on late model BMW's... early variations were famous for problems. Don't think it would be on Triumph though.

bs20ric

moped
Canbus is a fairly modern wiring sytem used on motorvehicles. It allows far more interaction and fault detection between the electronic parts with less wiring to do it.

In a nut shell, if you remove,swap, disconnect or alter an electronic item monitored by the system it will see it as a fault and will more than likely prevent the engine from starting.

A Bonny that comes with a digital odometer will come with Canbus

Does that mean Triumph's website has not been updated yet? I am looking at the SE model, and the 12' colors are the same as 11' (black, blue & white, orange & black) with no Gold.

Just bought a 2011 Bonnie over here in the UK in Aurum Gold - very nice ! Am just waiting for the fly screen to arrive after many weeks waiting before I pick it up !