2010 Thrux leaking oil at the base of front cam cover

jhillier71

Street Tracker
So.... I drive home from work and notice a film of oil and some 'pooling', if I can call it that, at the base of my (front) cam cover, seems to be mostly on the left hand side. The bike only has 3000 km on it so I dont think it can be deteriorated gaskets or anything like that. Does anyone suspect this is nothing more than a loosened cam cover? What else might it be other than a loose cover or shitty gasket? Without taking the tank off, am I even able to tighten up the cam cover?

mark66

TT Racer
You'll probably have to pull your fuel tank, I've got an 03 Bonne America and I have to, and then retorque the the cover bolts. I'd loosen all four first then retighten and torque. The book for mine calls for 10nm torque and use a cross pattern when you do. Also you find something with the rubber gasket in that area if you look closely. Hope that works for you.

jhillier71

Street Tracker
Good Point, didn't think of that. Should still be under warranty, right?

I set up an appt with the dealer and told them, it better be under warranty. The dealership is a 45 min highway ride away so I need to look at this myself first. I am not about to head down Canada's busiest stretch of highway with a wobbly cam cover!

I guess the tank is coming off this weekend. The last time i did this it was on an old dirt bike...same thing right :)

Last edited:
I guess the tank is coming off this weekend. The last time i did this it was on an old dirt bike...same thing right :)

Nope, you have an EFI bike which complicates things a little. Leave it to the dealer, a little oil leak won't hurt over a 45 minute run. It will be fixed under warranty so don't fret.

hs01jowe

Two Stroke
I agree, just take it to the dealer.

If you start to take the bike apart you may void your warranty..

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
I've had my EFI bike all apart and haven't affected the warranty. In fact just got the front forks back on. I have also had the tank off OP. If you scour the web, you can find a link to removing the EFI tank...clasp for the fuel line quick disconnect, connector for the fuel pump, small vent hose...two bolts in back toggle up from the rear and off it comes...5 minutes. But will save you trouble and see pics below. A tip is prop the tank up in back with a scrap wood piece of 2 X 2 and pad the front of the tank. When you tip the tank up from the back, the padding will keep the front from getting scratched or worse and the block of wood in back will help with the fuel line and pump connections. You can get both hands under the tank with it tipped up.
I personally would not let the dealer touch the bike for this job because I don't trust dealer techs. Now if my motor explodes under warranty, I will have them have a go but for small stuff, I will save the paint on my bike and save the hassle and gas and not go there. Techs are under time compression and they tend to scratch paint and if you are fussy this ain't cool. Plus they keep the bike a long while and getting it there and getting a ride home etc. Generally easier all said to do it yourself if you like to wrench.
The reason the cam cover leaks 98% of the time are the seals under the bolts that secure it.
Good Luck.
PS: Unfortunately the EFI bikes are a bit oil leak prone. I have had two leaks on my bike which I fixed....cam cover has been OK though.
See below for what you need:

Attachments

• CamCover Seal Pic + Part Number.jpg
    CamCover Seal Pic + Part Number.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 0
  • EFI Fuel Tank Resized.jpg
    EFI Fuel Tank Resized.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 0
  • EFI Fuel Tank.jpg
    EFI Fuel Tank.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Fuel Tank Removed 1.jpg
    Fuel Tank Removed 1.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Why would an EFI engine be more prone to oil leaks you think?
No good reason hawk. Interfaces where they leak should be the same as with carbed bikes. Poor assembly mainly with recent bikes which can be resolved if redone properly. The overall build quality of my '09 EFI bike has been excellent however.
Lots of cam cover leaks on the new bikes reported...and common for the front block plug to leak on new bikes as well. Mine had a leak from a bolt on the left engine cover...maybe due to porosity in the cover...RTV sealed it.

Last edited:

nohawk

Rocker
I see, didnt think any real mechanical differances between the carbed and the newer ones. I wont go to a dealer for service if I can help it either.

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Yeah...old school is fix your own. These bikes are very easy to work on...nicely designed and simple. Lots of guys buy motorcycles and want turn key. That so called turn key bike rarely is and if not willing to do basic maintenance which to me is as much fun as riding, you get what you get...somebody else who cares less about your bike than you do wrenching on it...and maybe the guy doing the wrenching is a newb or should be doing something else for a living...a lottery. No disrespect to the excellent techs out there and they clearly exist....some very talented techs in fact...have to be lucky to get one.

Last edited:

Kirkus51

Hooligan
It's the infamous cam cover leak and it is under warranty. It's no biggie and the dealer should have an ace guy that can fix it in under an hour. That's what happened to me. I called the dealer up and he asked if I could bring the bike down then and there. 1 1/2 hours later it was a done deal.

HiVel

Scooter
my '05 had a camcover leak when fairly new and dealer fixed it with a new gasket and torque job at no cost..Easy deal. my DIL has a 2002 black that has 36,000 miles and it leaks oil in a couple of places. need to get the gaskets and reset the tightening--no warranty!

I had an oil leak from the neutral switch (under the engine near the oil filter)-fixed with a glib of black silicone sealer after I bought a new switch for $30.00. The actual switch itself leaks!

These bikes are really not problematical when it comes to oil leaks.

jhillier71

Street Tracker
Guys & especially Speed3Chris -Thanks for the posts.

I took off the seat and tenderly put a 2x6 under the tank near the screws to raise the back-end of the tank and was able to access the cam cover. No need to completely pull the tank. The cam cover bolts tightened slightly, I didn't think it would make a difference and after short test ride, it leaked again. Will be talking to the dealer tomorrow and will let you know what turns out to be the issue.

DIRK

750cc
your dealer should be pleased to sort this out for you. i know we would but we are a ways from you woops!

atwal

Scooter
Does anyone suspect this is nothing more than a loosened cam cover? What else might it be other than a loose cover or shitty gasket?

I have 05 TB T100 with 17K miles on it. It was leaking on the right side. Dealer fixed it for me by adding flat washers at four locations valve/camshaft cover. Now it is not leaking anymore.

jhillier71

Street Tracker
Appt is booked but I found it interesting when he needed my VIN # as he said there are two parts/seals listed for the 2010 Thruxton. The dealer wasn't sure what the diff was but I thought it odd that that there are different kinds of seals (but wouldn't be surprised if that isn't the case at all and the part #s are different b/c it's not just a cam cover seal but something else entirely)???

Anyone know if there are 2 types of seal kits/parts?

BTW- He had the "right seal" in stock and will get the bike in and out in an hr or so...not sure why it would take more than 30 mins.

mark66

TT Racer
Bike Bandit lists 2 different bolt p/n depending on your engine #(up to a certain # you use one type and then engines after that they use another bolt). Triumph must have put in an engineering change to the bolt, perhaps for this leak problem.

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Appt is booked but I found it interesting when he needed my VIN # as he said there are two parts/seals listed for the 2010 Thruxton. The dealer wasn't sure what the diff was but I thought it odd that that there are different kinds of seals (but wouldn't be surprised if that isn't the case at all and the part #s are different b/c it's not just a cam cover seal but something else entirely)???

Anyone know if there are 2 types of seal kits/parts?

BTW- He had the "right seal" in stock and will get the bike in and out in an hr or so...not sure why it would take more than 30 mins.
As Mark stated...common for a silent, running engineering change when there is a known problem. Perhaps jhillier, you have taught us why the job can be done in 30 minutes...cam cover doesn't have to be removed as typically its the bolts where the leak comes from. Maybe the job can be done without lifting the tank off the bike but just tipping it up for access with a standard L shaped allen wrench as well....though hard to swing a torque wrench under there with the tank on...though removing the tank once the seat is off takes only a couple of minutes.
Hope it fixes it.
Cheers.