neuroboy's bike shopping adventure

neuroboy

750cc
A few weeks ago I had to lay down my '05 bonnie as I was pulling away from a green light. A jackass decided the needed to beat the green and the line of traffic behind me, but neglected to see me. Long story short: 5mph lay-down, no damage to me, roughed up the right side of the bike, her insurance company took full responsibility but decided the blue book minus salvage cost was less than the cost of the repairs. . . verdict: totaled.

I walk away with $5200 and money for a new Arai Vector. Time to find a new bike and I want a change. My #1 is a Street Triple R (which, used, run about $7500). I have a friend here in Boston feeding me other ideas, too, and I'm going to post them here. Perhaps I pull a blog out of it or somethign with descriptions and history of the bikes. For the time being, though, I have y'all.

So. . .

neuroboy

750cc
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Lemans
(on ebay)
$5500 with 6 hours left on the auction

owner's description:
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Le Mans, 91 Horsepower V twin, Only 455 miles, never registered, Mass. title, VIN 114697, Color: gray and red, Cafe seating position, Dual seat with solo cover, Twin plate dry clutch and 6 speed transmission, Brembo 4 piston floating disc brakes, Adjustable upside down forks and mono shock rear suspension, Three spoke alloy mag wheels, Nylon fuel tank,Fuel injection, Shaft drive w/ floating rear drive, Confidence inspiring handling and braking, Tractable power range.

Distinctive V twin song, Sure to turn heads. This bike has soul. Feed your machismo. New battery. Factory tool kit, mirrors and manual included. This is an excellent, fresh bike, ready to go, or an awesome component platform to use for a custom or hot rod. This bike is garaged in Beverly Massachusetts and can be picked up or shipped from there. Auction price does not include shipping. New owner must arrange transport. Bike is sold "as is" warrantee has expired due to age.

$(KGrHqMOKowE54(GBSmGBOsK(+pR7Q~~60_12.JPG

$(KGrHqEOKj8E6Wnp-ebKBOsKYGECb!~~60_12.JPG

$(KGrHqUOKkEE6UTU5Ts+BOsKYOC8kg~~60_12.JPG

$(KGrHqEOKkUE6KlNo2PyBOsKYO7qv!~~60_12.JPG

A 2002 with under 500 miles. What?!?

Pros: low cost/low miles, cool looking/sporty, very unique, not needing of mods
Cons: wicked heavy & a bit underpowered, a bit gaudy now that you mention it, 10 year old rubber, not ridden ever?, no test ride (auction)

Verdict: NAY! (if I was going to go classic I'd just buy a another bonnie)

Last edited:

neuroboy

750cc
2009 Triumph Street Triple (Quincy, MA)
$7.500/o.b.o. (on Boston Craigslist)

owner's description:
Flawless Black 2009 Triumph Street Triple 675. Bike has barely been ridden, only 2235 miles. Comes with tons of extras including a Triumph gel seat, under belly faring, black frame sliders, and a rear grab handle (all the factory originals included too). This bike is comfortable, easy to ride, super fast, and tons of fun! $7.500/o.b.o.

5Q55W45U23nd3m03p2bb2982bb453421f1933.jpg

pros: fast, flickable, low miles, a wicked bike, test rideable
cons: $2k over my $5200 insurance check

verdict: probable/possible (emailing for more pics, definitely going to check it out)

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Can't go wrong with that. 2000 miles is nothing.

Have you at least sat on a S3? Its small and leans you forward. Not saying its bad, but you don't want to make a mistake.

loxpump

Rocker
A 5 mph lay down totals the bike! What a bummer. If that happened I think I would buy it back and turn it into a track bike. The trip is nice. :motorbike2:

Craigore

TT Racer
does one really need more than a Thruxton for city riding?
i'd like an s3 but honestly, it's way more power then i'll ever use.

neuroboy

750cc
i'm in town and day trips primarily. i make weekend trips a few times a year. honestly, it's very tempting to stay with a bonnie, but i'd like to branch out a little bit even if (who am i kidding, when) i return.

neuroboy

750cc
2011 BMW F800R
$6400 with 3 days left (ebay)
2,474 miles

Dealer description:
2011 BMW F800R DEMO BIKE FOR SALE. WE OFFER DELIVERY ALMOST ANYWHERE IN THE NORTHEAST AND SHIP ALL OVER THE COUNTRY. CLEARING OUT FOR SPRING INVENTORY SO SAVE AND BUY NOW.

SERVICED AND READY TO GO. BIKE HAS HEATED GRIPS, ABS, TPM ( TIRE PRESSURE MONITOR), ON BOARD COMPUTER, WINDSHIELD SPORT, WHITE TURN INDICATOR.

FULL FACTORY WARRANTY UNITIL 08/08/2014 OR 36,000 MILES. CALL DAVE OR ZAC AT THE CT STORE 203-740-1270 WITH ANY QUESTIONS

$(KGrHqV,!i0E6I+8+lNTBOjbj,4mR!~~_4.JPG

$(KGrHqR,!hwE6GpEg10BBOjbjc(GUw~~_4.JPG

$(KGrHqIOKpkE5cO3iW82BOjbjdtjMg~~_4.JPG

$(KGrHqIOKkIE5Toki+Q,BOjbjfGO3Q~~_4.JPG

$(KGrHqEOKoYE5ktTB)eJBOjbkpNJgQ~~_4.JPG

pros: clean, reliable, similar to the Street3, never had a Beemer
cons: looks like a transformer, maybe the price is premium because it's a dealer, yellow?, not super-close, auction (i.e. no perusal before committing)

verdict: i don't like laying cash down sight unseen

neuroboy

750cc
2007 BMW F800S
$1800 with 3 days remaining on auction (ebay)
29,449 miles

Dealer description:
2007 BMW F800S

- ABS BRAKES

- HEATED GRIPS

- ON BOARD COMPUTER

- FRAME SLIDERS

- 30K SERVICE COMPLETED

A very clean, well maintained bike by a motorcycle enthusiast

Call Craig or Steve at 518 279 3040 with any questions or to purchase the bike today!

$(KGrHqEOKowE6)nT!1TIBOtWZuQ1)g~~_4.JPG

$(KGrHqMOKogE6ekolrj5BOtW,BnTJw~~_4.JPG

$(KGrHqMOKj0E6mQp4CHVBOtW,YwuZw~~_4.JPG

$(KGrHqMOKnQE6YBGF(9BBOtWbGQcv!~~_4.JPG

$(KGrHqJ,!g4E6ZKEV7CDBOtWdzkNy!~~_4.JPG

$(KGrHqZ,!lQE6CImlldfBOtWeRm19g~~_4.JPG

$(KGrHqN,!lkE6B066ZWZBOtWert1Lw~~_4.JPG

pros: BMW reliability, clean, low-ish price, not yellow, doesn't look like a transformer
cons: high miles, 3 1/2 hours away, cash without seeing it/riding it first

verdict: cool bike, but hold off

neuroboy

750cc
2007 Triumph Thruxton
$4600 Naples, Maine (craigslist)
3440 miles

Owner description:
07 Thruxton. Like-new condition. Only 3440 miles. Panniers included.

5Z05X65R03k93m93lebb95c584c059b4811d6.jpg
5V65P25X53o23p03l1bb91684a13aab22165a.jpg

5Y55T55P63ne3o93l7bb92c855a56e44f10af.jpg
5Q65T05X63k93mc3ldbb9b75000e021841413.jpg

pros: love thuxtons, no EFI, pretty much exactly where my old bike was when it went down, low miles, reasonable price
cons: kinda wanted to try something new

verdict: damn tempting!

Last edited:

Craigore

TT Racer
I too was considering an S3... HARD. Was going to sell my bonneville and everything. Really wanted something to do longer distances with, something fast to feed my need for speed

I did a 1,000 mile round trip with clip-ons, rearsets, and a bag and small tent strapped to the seat. went up 1 tooth on my front sproket.

had a great time- at no point was I nervous about 70hp being too little power on I-90W. in town, plenty usable power (with proper "mods").

My friend did 3,000 miles last summer on his CB400 from Bend, OR to Buffalo, NY. Another friend of mine rode from Buffalo to South America on his chopped up Virago ratbike.

In the end, I questioned whether I really needed all that extra power. Sure, it would be nice... but there's just something appealing about an "old school" bike

neuroboy

750cc
In the end, I questioned whether I really needed all that extra power. Sure, it would be nice... but there's just something appealing about an "old school" bike

yep. old school is totally my style, too, and i know i don't need the extra power. The bonnie was my first bike though, and I don't know if I want to go my whole life never having had a different bike at some point. Like I said, I really don't doubt that I'll revert to a bonneville at some point down the road.

that said, those beemers really don't do it for me.

neuroboy

750cc
totally out of left field, but it's maybe my buddies favorite bike. . .

Kawasaki ZRX 1100 (no year given)
$3000 on craigslist
12,000 miles

Owner description:
This is my fathers bike he has not ridden it for a few years so there is low miles 12xxx it has been lowered a bit with new rear shocks and custom corbin seat will come with origanal shocks also. It also has a muzzy pipe and brand new battery and new front tire.. if you have any questions please call Jeremy 508-450-9791 asking 3,000 or make us an offer thank you

5Y55Q35P23na3m63odbb49f86feb5c773108e.jpg
5Y15P05R33n43o13lebb4d8fb65d825f01fb4.jpg

pros: powerful/mile chewer, unique/distinctive, decent miles (especially for it's age), versatile, better colors than the standard lime green and purple
cons: polarizing looks, not sure if it's my style, not ridden in years can a bad thing, four-cyl japanese bike doesn't stir the soul

verdict: not my bag, baby

jhillier71

Street Tracker
thux10, thrux10

get a tiger over the b'mmer and why not just get the thruxton. Then you can still readily contribute to this forum....not too many of us care about how bmw advriders navigate potholes