Handbuilt from the ground up

Bonafide

NBR founder
Been out riding the Southeast for the past couple weeks. Ran across this old guy on the Cherohala Skyway. Said he built it from the ground up. Made his own frame .. blah blah .. you get the picture. What cracked me up the most ... that engine. It's a 35hp Briggs & Stratton Vanguard.

Video .. link

attachment.php

Attachments

• moto_2011_2.jpg
    moto_2011_2.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 0
You could almost buy a new Harley crate engine for what that Vanguard costs. You could certainly find a nice used one for about the same price. Still, it's an interesting piece.

Bonafide

NBR founder
That's pretty neat. I guess he had it tagged and street legal?

Yes. Seeing how he was riding it on a govt maintained roadway, you guessed right. From Illinois .. see the tag's profile?

You could almost buy a new Harley crate engine for what that Vanguard costs. You could certainly find a nice used one for about the same price. Still, it's an interesting piece.

Wow .. what a dumb thought. Why would he want a Harley engine? Cause then he could look and be like everyone else? The 'build a bike around a Harley V twin' is soooo played out to a cookie cutter style. I guess if he wanted to be like all the other guys ... :d - but I like this guy's style.

Does he use a key or does he have to pull a cord to start that thing up?

HA! I asked the same thing. It was electric start. See the video.

koifarm

Hooligan
Pretty cool dude, he looks like he's out there havin fun for sure, gotta love guys like that, give em a garage full of tools and parts and you never know what comes out the door next....thanks for the post and video....

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Dont like the look of the motor, but its cool that he built the whole bike. Wish i had time and money to do it.