Home Protection...what do you use?

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
One of the aspects of CCarry is that you feel as you described, to some at least, it gives you the confidence to carry yourself a certain way. - Koi

I am more confident without. That's just me. Whatever works for you as a lawful gun carry guy is 100% cool with me. In Brooklyn, where I was - you cannot bring your gun, its mandatory 1 year in Riker's, just ask a certain Jets receiver, - it's NYC. No guns.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
I believe in the aspect you reap what you sew in a lot of ways and is part of the reason why I have always tried to be a good citizen and contribute. With that said though, I also believe through my own experiences that bad things happen to good people. I choose to ready myself and hope that bad thing never walks through my door to put my family in danger but if it does....then I'm not going to rely on karma to save my wife and boys.

strokerlmt

Then imagine yourself on a nice sunny beach/twisting down a mogul hill/blowing bubbles over a coral reef/holding hands with a pretty girl/tearing up the countryside on your bike/hearing little kids laugh...

Who needs the dark alley anyway??!?!?

:)

Cheers!!

I am with you. One of my "happy places", Little Cayman, Jackson Point wall, starts at 45 feet vertical drop to 1000'sss just let yourself fall to about 120/30/40 and let the deep beckon.
LMT
sorry to bust in on home pro

slowgator

750cc
I believe in the aspect you reap what you sew in a lot of ways and is part of the reason why I have always tried to be a good citizen and contribute. With that said though, I also believe through my own expekarmariences that bad things happen to good people. I choose to ready myself and hope that bad thing never walks through my door to put my family in danger but if it does....then I'm not going to rely on karma to save my wife and boys.

I feel ya Tang. Having been an enthusiastic Little Leaguer growing up, karma can include the Louisville Slugger behind the door! :fight3:

Kframe

Street Tracker
One of the aspects of CCarry is that you feel as you described, to some at least, it gives you the confidence to carry yourself a certain way. - Koi

I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding what you or Koi wrote about confidence, so if I did, my apologies.

Concealed carry is not a license to finally go to that seedy restaurant in that cruddy neighborhood, if anything, when one carries one must go further to avoid such known bad spots.
You don't get to flip off that asshole that cut you off anymore, you can't sass off to the 400#'r named Tiny that is taking over your billiards table, you can't do anything you couldn't do when unarmed, in fact, there are things you mustn't.
As one of my CCW instructors once said, when you are carrying, and get into a conflict, it is an ARMED conflict, even if you haven't drawn and the other guy doesn't know you are packing, because, you know, as the person with the gun that no matter how minute, the potential exists for the conflict to end up in a shooting.
The responsible gun-owner-carry'er does everything in their power to avoid, de-escalate and retreat, whenever safely possible.

Like I said, I'm not saying Sal or Koi professed anything the opposite, I just wanted to make this point.

koifarm

Hooligan
I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding what you or Koi wrote about confidence, so if I did, my apologies.

Concealed carry is not a license to finally go to that seedy restaurant in that cruddy neighborhood, if anything, when one carries one must go further to avoid such known bad spots.
You don't get to flip off that asshole that cut you off anymore, you can't sass off to the 400#'r named Tiny that is taking over your billiards table, you can't do anything you couldn't do when unarmed, in fact, there are things you mustn't.
As one of my CCW instructors once said, when you are carrying, and get into a conflict, it is an ARMED conflict, even if you haven't drawn and the other guy doesn't know you are packing, because, you know, as the person with the gun that no matter how minute, the potential exists for the conflict to end up in a shooting.
The responsible gun-owner-carry'er does everything in their power to avoid, de-escalate and retreat, whenever safely possible.

Like I said, I'm not saying Sal or Koi professed anything the opposite, I just wanted to make this point.

I think you have a very valid point Kframe, a lot of responsibility goes with that permit to carry and as you stated, you musn't do a lot of things you might do if not carrying. Of course, like anything else, there is a different POV from each individual who is carrying or not and that's open for discussion. We all have thoughts of what to do or not and thus there is a huge amount of variation among those who do and those who don't. It's really a personal choice and one that should not be taken lightly.
I totally agree that the best choice is one of retreat, and that fact alone makes carrying a heavy responsibility.
As I stated before, my main concern are those individuals with virtually no experience with firearms, just enough to pass the cc course and can afford a decent sidearm and then carry it concealed.
Although I'm sure some of them are good responsible gun owners and can accept the burden of responsibility there are no doubt a few of those who haven't got a clue what it means to carry. It's those people I worry about mostly.
If you wish, go to some of the concealed carry forums and read the posts there. It will wake you up in a huge way and likely scare the shit out of you when you read some of the stuff posted on them.

Kframe

Street Tracker
As I stated before, my main concern are those individuals with virtually no experience with firearms, just enough to pass the cc course and can afford a decent sidearm and then carry it concealed.
Although I'm sure some of them are good responsible gun owners and can accept the burden of responsibility there are no doubt a few of those who haven't got a clue what it means to carry. It's those people I worry about mostly.
If you wish, go to some of the concealed carry forums and read the posts there. It will wake you up in a huge way and likely scare the shit out of you when you read some of the stuff posted on them.

+1000
I've been in/around the biz long enough, and have been on the firearms forums ever since BBS's, gun net and shooterstalk (long defunct) and I agree, there are many dumbasses and yahoo's out there that are exactly as you describe.
Those idiots are much more likely to get themselves or their family killed or will end up in prison, than they are to be 'the hero' someday as they fantasize.
Those that think there is something 'glamourous' or 'badass' about carrying a gun, are not mature enough to handle it.
Unfortunately, we can't trust the gov't to adequately figure out who is ready and who isn't, so the choice is either allow nearly all, or forbid nearly all. And where that line is, is a whole 'nother debate.

jphickory

Banned
Non law abiding citizens will carry a gun regardless of any permit. Most people that go through the process of getting a permit are going to be fairly responsible. I don't worry about those carrying with permits - very few of them are going to cause anybody trouble.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Hey Kframe,

Koi wrote:

And then I wrote back ;
"I am more confident without. That's just me."

I wrote that for all the reasons that you just cited, but I hesitate sometimes to talk guns because people can get very defensive very fast. But I agree with you.

Sal

msc66

Two Stroke
Wow, a lot of paranoid mf'ers out there. :) The only time I've ever felt my life was in danger was when I put myself in those situations. I eventually wised up and don't put myself in those situations anymore.

I've lived in the city of Atlanta for 23 yrs and have no security systems besides a locked door. If someone really wants my shit they'll more than likely break in during the day when no one's home. That's how it goes around here, alarm or no alarm. If they come in when we're home, the locked up .38 (I have kids) won't do any good and if there's more than one of them they'll probably take my bat from me and beat me to death with it. I just can't give myself an ulcer worrying about it.

Like someone said, most times violence begets violence. Sure random violence happens to innocent people but the ratio just isn't high enough for me to keep a loaded gun by the bed or to carry. I'm now 52. I come from a lower working class background, was a punk rocker when I was younger and have lived and hung out in some sketchy places and at no time have I felt that I needed a gun other than the few times when I put myself in danger due to very bad decisions.

Be smart, be alert and be careful. Now if I didn't have a family I could see myself becoming a vigilante when I do hear about innocent victims of crime. :rocket:

Lone Trumpet

Street Tracker
Huh... I haven't seen anything posted here that remotely resembles paranoia. Just some good folk that value their families and aren't willing to continually take their chances playing the odds. To write them off as 'paranoid mf'ers' just because they don't share the same philosophy as you seems pretty narrow minded to me. I own guns, but don't use them for home protection... not yet anyway. If my 'well established' neighborhood continues to decline at the rate it has over the past several years however, I can see the point where my 12 ga. may be making an appearance by my bedside at night. :D

JRMSR

Scooter
I think "confidence" is better defined as "heightened awareness." In reality, you should have no more confidence then you would as an unarmed citizen. To place confidence in the carrying of a small arm, is dangerous and will get you into trouble. On the contrary, your heightened awareness should make you more cautious of your surroundings and people in general.

The responsibilities of lawful concealed carry are immense, not only for yourself but others. They should never be taken lightly. Just because you strap on a pistol doesn't make you in the right or able to take unnecessary risks. You don't have the right to be a vigilantly or a protector of others. It's solely designed for your personal protection alone.

I find people in general have a grave misunderstanding when it comes to using firearms for "personal protection." It's just that, personal, not public. Your rights end when you involve yourself directly in others problems or unlawful situations. Misinformation and misinterpret, can get you or someone else in grave trouble and possible killed.

I suggest, if you feel more confidence carrying a small arm then you should reevaluate why you're carrying it. It doesn't make you in the right and it sure doesn't make you anymore justified or give you special dispensation then the next person.

It's our lawful right to bear arms without infringement but it's not your lawful right to do so, without realizing the responsibiliities and consequences. Something to keep in mine.

Last edited:

Kframe

Street Tracker
Hey Kframe,

I wrote that for all the reasons that you just cited, but I hesitate sometimes to talk guns because people can get very defensive very fast. But I agree with you.

Sal

Yes, this is a very polarizing topic, I'm actually pretty surprised this gun thread has lasted 10 pages on a bike forum, everyone here is pretty opinionated (myself included). Nice to see we can have an in depth discussion.

Peace.

Lone Trumpet

Street Tracker
While I'm enjoying this thread a good bit, I don't think the OP's intention was for it to be a 'gun thread' per se (correct me if I'm wrong AceT100). The use of firearms for home protection is merely one option... and probably NOT the best option IMO. I guess people just aren't as opiniated about home alarm systems, dogs and other such non-lethal methods of home protection. :d

AceT100

Rocker
While I'm enjoying this thread a good bit, I don't think the OP's intention was for it to be a 'gun thread' per se (correct me if I'm wrong AceT100). The use of firearms for home protection is merely one option... and probably NOT the best option IMO. I guess people just aren't as opiniated about home alarm systems, dogs and other such non-lethal methods of home protection. :d

Yup...I did :up:

And dogs... Check this out, my trainer did a demo at the car show we were at...

http://youtu.be/SWyGRmp8iHo

slowgator

750cc
This thread has definitely been enlightening and informative about a no-doubt polarizing subject. Kudos to all for keeping it rational and leaving out the emotions.

However, there is an elephant in the room that remains silent. It would be most informative to know the perspective of law enforcement officers (LEOs) on this topic. I understand the owner of this site could possibly provide such a perspective.

Dude, with all due respect, will you?

koifarm

Hooligan
This thread has definitely been enlightening and informative about a no-doubt polarizing subject. Kudos to all for keeping it rational and leaving out the emotions.

However, there is an elephant in the room that remains silent. It would be most informative to know the perspective of law enforcement officers (LEOs) on this topic. I understand the owner of this site could possibly provide such a perspective.

Dude, with all due respect, will you?

Yes, please do Bud, we'd love to hear your comments !

wobblygong

Street Tracker

I think it's pretty obvious we are talking about the US and I'm not really concerned about other countries at this point, especially since no one from another country has chimed in.

As an Australian, I don't feel the need to chime into this thread because the subject is as foreign to me as discussing say...what sort of flying saucer do I use to transport my family to a nearby planet on our vacation. It just doesn't concern us as much as it does Americans. Guns are not part of an average Aussie's life. There is far more chance of being attacked by a shark or bitten by a snake than having your house invaded.
My house and contents are fully insured. If I came home to find my TV, computer etc stolen, I'd put in a claim to my Insurance Company and get them replaced.