Yamaha XS400 Budget Project

Craigore

TT Racer
I really like the cast wheels with what you're doing with this... just think it looks badass. I'd seriously sand and prime, spray bomb w/krylon high heat... stuff is amazingly durable. Awesome project. By the way, where did you get that dished tank? Looks great! Really sets your bike apart from what I've seen.

Savantjk

Street Tracker
I like the cast wheels, and I already have tires for them, so I'm rolling with them. They'll get powdercoated in black before the new tires go on. But I I love all of the powdercoated hubs on the bonnies and thrux's that I've seen.. so if I got my hands on some spokes cheap, I wouldn't mind trying them out.

I got the tank from a guy on the xs400 forum that I joined. He does body work in NY and had done a triumph-esque knee dent tank for his bike that everyone was lusting after. He did a tutorial for the forum and used another stock tank and did full side dents... aka my tank. Got it off of him for $150 to my door. For all the labor involved with getting rid of the badge mounts (they have tabs with indentions around them -- not just holes), dishing the sides, and priming with ppg and lining the tank plus shipping from new york to louisiana, I deemed it a very fair price.

Since the tank was already primed and sanded paint was only $75. The color really looks great in my opinion. The house lighting and shitty cell-phone camera brought a really yellow tone to it and it doesn't show the true color. When I remember, I'll roll it outside and get a shot for you guys.

Savantjk

Street Tracker
I asked the guy who did the xs tank about deepening the knee dents on my bonnie and he said he would trade the labor for my old stock xs tank... thinking it over. Think the triumph tank with a little more contour could look sweet.

Savantjk

Street Tracker
QUESTION

Have the wheels off for powdercoating and tire swap. Should I work to get all the grime off the fork bottoms or leave the grimy patina look to them? I think I'm going to leave the motor with the aged look rather than trying to restore the cases. I've cleaned all the excessive nastiness off but think I'll leave it there. Unless I decide to paint it.. which is highly possible in the future.

Opinions?

Sweat & Craigore.. help me out here!

Savantjk

Street Tracker
Also, do you guys think that if I pulled the seals from the wheels that the bearings would stand up to the oven temp during powdercoating? Seems like they should be able to tolerate heat given their position... :shrug:

Clean up those fork legs! Start with rough grade sand paper, like a 300-400 grit, then work up progressively to a finer grit, 1000+. Then buff with a cotton wheel and buffing compound. Polished baby!

You'll need to pull the wheel bearings prior to powdercoating. I'd replace them anyway.

Craigore

TT Racer
Clean up those fork legs! Start with rough grade sand paper, like a 300-400 grit, then work up progressively to a finer grit, 1000+. Then buff with a cotton wheel and buffing compound. Polished baby!

You'll need to pull the wheel bearings prior to powdercoating. I'd replace them anyway.

I'll have to try that on my RD.

It's super easy, and I find it relaxing and rewarding. Plus it looks great when you're done. You can get all of the supplies at Home Depot. Look for polishing rouge, or something like that.

Savantjk

Street Tracker
I think I'll have a go at it during the upcoming break from school. Carbs are back on cleaned with new boots, jets and the tops pc'd black.

With the wheels off I had to see what my tires looked like. New ears and gaiters on. I think the headlight position looks good from the front, but not sure about the side profile. Help me out here Sweat.
moto_0842.jpg

moto_0844.jpg

Last edited:
Looks a lot better than before. One thing about that headlamp: I don't like those bulbs, with the raised lip around the edge of the glass. If you go to the auto parts store you can get a 5-1/4" bulb for about $20 that sits a lot more flush in the headlight bucket. A friend of mine has that same bulb and I hate it, but I'm particular ;)

Savantjk

Street Tracker
I'll see what O'reilly and Napa have and if it's the same price here I'll pick one up. I didn't realize they were that cheap.

Savantjk

Street Tracker
I have a lucas housing powdercoated in black that I've been thinking of using.. but I think I want to skip out on a rear fender. Should I stay lucas? I've been looking at this and thinking of mounting it upside down from the seat pan. Just having the light floating would look nice and do well with the headlight.

detail_905_classic-motorcycle-tail-light-bobber-black-photo-1.jpg

Last edited:

Craigore

TT Racer
here's an idea... strip the frame down to the bare, clean and powdercoat clear over the raw steel.... soo cool!

... but I think I want to skip out on a rear fender.

I beg to differ. I like a short little fender. Check out my buddy's KZ550ltd that he and I modded a few years ago. I dig the little fender on it. We started with a $300 pile of shit and made it pretty cool. Ended up coming in just under a grand when the bike was done, and it's a good runner too (also, check out my badass heavy-duty welding table and vice in the background):

DSCN1481.jpg

Savantjk

Street Tracker
Yea that's how this will be. $250 for the bike and under a grand total. Most expensive thing I've bought is the new tank and that was $150.. $225 including paint. Tires were $130 to the door. Bike, tank, tires, seat pan = $680. Everything else that I've bought has been under $40 a part. Grips $12, custom battery box $25, headlight ears $16, carb boots $30, uni filters $20 (for both), gaiters $22, R6 master cylinder $35, headlight $40, emgo aluminum turn signals 4 for $24, header wrap $15, mx bars $19... There are more things like new hardware to replace the old weakened and rusted screws and bolts, but all that is cheap.. like 10 cents a piece. Doing research and finding deals pays off. I'm getting close to breaking budget, but I'll make some money back selling all the parts I took off the bike... so I should meet the $1,000 limit I set.

Last edited:

Savantjk

Street Tracker
Did a mock up by cutting down the stock rear fender and drilling holes in the lucas mount for the signals...had to add some spacers, but found some alloy ones at the hardware store. Taped the hell out of it to keep it up.

moto_0845.jpg

moto_0846.jpg

moto_0847.jpg

Last edited: