Yamaha XS400 Budget Project

Savantjk

Street Tracker
I agree on the Copper color. The green? Not so much :(

But, if there's enough black and/or silver to tone down the green, it could look cool.

The tank will be the ONLY thing that color. Rest of the bike is silver and black. I was looking at copper colors while there.. there are some textured finishes that look really nice.

Bullitt

Two Stroke
You're powder coating right? Not sure if you can with the PC, but it'd look sick to distress the shit out of it like my buddy's '67 here...
(sorry it's showing so big)

67T100c500.jpg

Savantjk

Street Tracker
I've seen some older bikes with it done and I think they look great.. just cleans up the look even more. I probably won't, but it's fun to entertain. You know a hell of a lot more than I do so it's probably wise to follow your advice!

Savantjk

Street Tracker
You're powder coating right? Not sure if you can with the PC, but it'd look sick to distress the shit out of it like my buddy's '67 here...
(sorry it's showing so big)

Bullit, I dig that tank job! Did he just sand the paint and clear over it?

Bullitt

Two Stroke
Bullit, I dig that tank job! Did he just sand the paint and clear over it?

Yeah. The owner before him actually did it but that's what it looks like. Rough sanding and some matte clear. If your tank looks too girly, that might be something to think about.

Savantjk

Street Tracker
Yea I'm pretty skeptical as the guy used the words "looks lime green" when he called. OH SHIT. That wasn't on the color chart.

Savantjk

Street Tracker
Hate on the color all you want... but after the initial shock, it's grown on me a tad. Still want the copper color though.

Started assembling and cleaning up. Still waiting on a good bit of parts to come in. Quite a difference already!

moto_0801.jpg

Savantjk

Street Tracker
Good news. Selling the green tank. Picking this one up off a guy for a fair price and it will be primed and lined. No powdercoating because of filler.. but I'll get my copper color!

frame001.jpg

Savantjk

Street Tracker
Yea I'm feeling it. I was thinking of attempting it myself, but this guy is giving me a good deal so I figured I'd just flip the blue bell mint chip tank and get this one painted the color I had in mind to begin with.

Seat pan came in today. Guy did a solid fab job especially for going off my specs that I sent him via email. Fits great, looks nice, I feel like I should just have it finished instead of covered! He'll do whatever you need and does nice cafe pans too out of steel, stainless, or aluminum. Very fair prices most around $125-150. Mine was simple so it was easier.. the lip carried the price up a little but not much. Came out to $75.
Mine:
moto_0803.jpg

His other work:
attachment.php

His contact is: [email protected] for anyone who is interested.

Savantjk

Street Tracker
Starting to come together. Carbs are off for cleaning and jetting, new tank should be in this week. Going with on/off 60/40 tires. Won the HD factory shocks on the bay for 9 bucks and shipping was cheap too. Electricals are weeded down to kick-only and there's a pan under the seat to hold the wiring.

What do you guys think about putting the plate mount off the the right side of the axle? There is an awkward spacer that sits on the outside of the swingarm and I'd like to mask it.

moto_0811.jpg

Last edited:

Savantjk

Street Tracker
I hate side-mounted plates with a passion.

I'm generally not a fan either. The light is going centered under the seat pan, no wavering there. There's just this BIG spacer that sticks off the outside of the axle. I'm really not sure what the point in the design was. I hate it though.

I'm generally not a fan either. The light is going centered under the seat pan, no wavering there. There's just this BIG spacer that sticks off the outside of the axle. I'm really not sure what the point in the design was. I hate it though.

Could you make a new, smaller spacer and have the axle turned down a bit? If it's outside the axle plate, it seems like it could be eliminated.