Yamaha XS400 Budget Project

Savantjk

Street Tracker
couldn't you just drop the front end an inch?

The forks are already up through the top clamp an inch. If I lower it any more then it is too short for the kickstand and will fall over the other way because the lack of lean. Plus it would just look tiny!

Craigore

TT Racer
If I could make one crazy suggestion it would be to take a spare tank and cut it at the end by a few inches and have someone weld it to your seat pan. Get a 12v 5aH "alarm battery" like those found at radio shack and hide it up in there. That Lucas Style light might just fit up in the space allocated for the backbone- if not it wouldn't take much to get it to fit. Would match thr lines of your tank well (obviously). That's just me. Not my build, just thinking out loud!!! Either way... LOVE IT!!!

Savantjk

Street Tracker
Trying to picture it. Like a cafe tail using the tank for the hump and as storage? I bought the battery I have because the cca's were decent and it was considerably smaller than stock. I did look at the alarm batteries as a guy on the yama forum did it. I don't mind it now that it is sitting low in the box I had made. When it was high up it bugged me.

I may be bringing the mods to a close as I'm thinking of selling to fund a classic car project. My buddy has been wanting it once I finished since I picked the bike up. I've had some other interests since then too. I'm really wanting something with a roof and in the next month I'll be coming into about 5k and having the money to add from the bike would help. Had a guy want to trade a 65 mustang coupe for my bonnie.

Mike Britton

Two Stroke
Tell ya what Jeramy, if you're not proud of it, give it to me! I'm not a cafe bike fan and I'd be proud of it enough for bofus!

Savantjk

Street Tracker
Haha Mike are you referring to the Yama or the Bonnie? The Bonnie isn't going anywhere and the Yama wouldn't if it weren't one of my best friends getting it.