Talking my friend out of a HD nightster

cafenoir900

VENDOR
a little more input... look at the quality of the components, hardware on the Thrux is more of stainless steel, where the Nightster uses zinc chromate... quality of the frame - compare the welds on the bikes... and if the riding position has him stumped, there's the T100. For the $s Triumph is hard to beat...

drlapo

Hooligan
and the Harleys are just so godawfull ugly
why can't HD make a motorcycle and not a fashion accessory?

Last edited:

cycleddie

Scooter
You originally asked for arguments for the Thrux and against the sportster. You also mentioned that your friend wanted to "fit in". Well, my advice would focus on the social aspect of riding.

IMO sportsters are seen as "chick bikes" to Harley riders. Pulling up to your favorite bar, cafe, whatever, on a "chick bike" Harley riders are going to see you as a "wannabe" who can't or won't spend the money on what they see as real Harleys (Road Kings, Soft tails, etc.) So, avoid all that crap, set yourself apart from the Harley DRAMA and get the Thrux!!

drlapo

Hooligan
the only HD that ever had any potential is the Sportster. none of the blotted Pigs (Hogs) will ever be a decent motorcycle
and now they have discontinued the Sportster and offer only "bad ass" cruisers
I know Americans will not buy a real Sportster but wouldn't it be nice to see a 450 lb 90HP standard bike with low bars, normal control position and a 5 gallon tank?
and who gives a crap what the knuckle draggers think?

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
A good friend of mine is in the market for a new bike. He likes the HD nightster but has been curious about the Thruxton. Of course I say Thruxton all the way but what would be some good arguments against the HD? I mean, besides that fact that it's a Harley Davidson LOL.

Just sit on it. It has like a half inch of suspension travel in the rear. Imagine hitting a bump at speed. Thats a bike for posing, not riding.

Stars&Bars

Two Stroke
Ask yourself what kind of ride do you enjoy, Cafe style, semi crouch or more of an upright body position. The Thruxton would have one advantage over any configuation of Sportster and that is in the amount of rear wheel travel. The Harley Sportster generally has less than 2 inches and that would make riding one a bone jarring experience for me. BUT then again, I see alot of women that do ride hell out of 'em.
I'm just saying.......

A friend of mine rides a Nightster. Another friend of mine rides a Honda Silverwing scooter. The scooter kicks the Nightster's butt in the twisties. No lie.

Ninja K

Two Stroke
Update!

He picked up a 2011 Thruxton in black with the champagne strip last week. Now I'm regretting him buying one because he won't stop talking about it!! I get Texts and FB messages all day now asking about different upgrades, where he wants to ride and when we're gonna ride next! Oh my god, I created a monster!!!

It's a beautiful bike though!

AceT100

Rocker
Update!

He picked up a 2011 Thruxton in black with the champagne strip last week. Now I'm regretting him buying one because he won't stop talking about it!! I get Texts and FB messages all day now asking about different upgrades, where he wants to ride and when we're gonna ride next! Oh my god, I created a monster!!!

Sign him up on here!!

simpson

TT Racer
Update!

It seems your work is not finished...instead, it has just begun!

-simpson

CafeCool79

Scooter
I've convinced him get some new pipes and get rid of the airbox... but he wants to keep the stock turn signals :ghey:

Good parts to start with. Though, the stock turn signals are becoming more rare to see on a bike than aftermarkets! haha just my opinion, you can probably guess I've kept mine :)

T-boy

Rocker
Update!
Now I'm regretting him buying one because he won't stop talking about it!! I get Texts and FB messages all day now asking about different upgrades, where he wants to ride and when we're gonna ride next! Oh my god, I created a monster!!!

Aw come on now...Admit it...weren't you the same way?