How fast will it go?

Texas94fs

Hooligan
There's nothing unreliable about a properly hot-rodded Bonnie.

PREACH!

You mean your bike wont pick the wheel up with just the throttle ?wonder why mine will. dang I wish my bike would do 130.

:lol3::finger2:

It all comes down to what your prefer, sounds like you'd be happy on a modern supersport bike. The bonnie/thrux/scram can do those things but that wasn't the purpose it was built for. I'll add another tick to saying maybe you ougpleht to get a street or speed triple.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
I think one of the charms of the Bonny is being able to hammer it on a backroad without reaching warp speed too soon. Makes you feel good, and no harm done..but - ridden agressively by a good rider, a Bonneville will keep up with nearly anything on a back road and embarass most bikes. In fact, a good aggressive rider on a Bonny can put some whoop ass on a novice sport bike rider in the turns.

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
It all comes down to what your prefer, sounds like you'd be happy on a modern supersport bike. The bonnie/thrux/scram can do those things but that wasn't the purpose it was built for.

Just remember that MikeNVA wasn't the OP - his Bonnie is "just a bit" modified and I can tell ya that it gets up and moves like crazy. And, yeah, OP wants a sportbike.

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Just remember that MikeNVA wasn't the OP - his Bonnie is "just a bit" modified and I can tell ya that it gets up and moves like crazy. And, yeah, OP wants a sportbike.

Yea i know, that part was directed at the OP, i did a poor job at clarifying that.
Just a bit modified. . . bhaa ha hah ah ha riiiiiiiiight

Kirkus51

Hooligan
OK, don't throw stones at me yet. But if you are on a budget and want a nice unique go fast bike, look at Buells in your area. Usually right around 100hp and they actually handle really well. You can get parts for the motor. the 98 to 02s are my favorties.

strokerlmt

another thought......having a bike that can go 160mph why???? you ain't gonna do it unless you want to get killed or hurt or ???? why not a bike that is light, not expensive, can be modified without a mechanic from Italy, good handling and has great pull thru 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th......who cares after 100mph
LMT

MES

750cc
strokerlmt, you have a 988 with cams, carbs and a hot box. If it doesn't pull hard in 5th then something is wrong.

strokerlmt

Mes....my bike pulls hard in every gear, the point was isn't it fun to be able to sport up to 100 and enjoy.....why pass 100 with a 'over the top sport bike" jus can u can and get into uncharted waters.
LMT

Kirkus51

Hooligan
I don't care about "the ton" nearly as much as I care about the 30-70mph range. We all live in that speed zone and the Bonnie equates itself quite well in that range.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
From Chuckhawks,

Rider magazine did a road test of the new Bonneville in the March 2001 issue, and reported the following performance: Acceleration, 0 to 60 mph in 5.5 seconds; top gear roll-on, 40 to 60 mph in 5.41 seconds; braking, 60 to 0 mph in 151.6 ft.; Average mpg, 43.8.

Cycle World magazine took a new Bonneville to the drag strip and recorded a best 1/4 mile time of 13.83 seconds at 95.34 mph. They reported a 0-60 time of 4.9 seconds, and the bike's top speed was 105 mph. Fuel mileage was 45 mpg.

Steve did some performance tests of his own, and here are the results: 0-60 mph in 5 seconds; 0-100 mph in a little under 16 seconds; top gear roll-on, 60-80 mph in 6.3 seconds. The top speed in the various gears is as follows: 1st=45 mph; 2nd=65 mph; 3rd=81 mph; 4th nearly 100 mph; 5th=115 mph @ 7,400 rpm. Steve's average mpg during his first 1,000 miles was approximately 50 (in U.S. Gallons).

Rider also took the Bonneville to Borla Performance, where it was run on a Dynojet dynamometer. They reported that the stock Bonnie motor delivered a maximum of 55 rear wheel horsepower at 7,350 rpm, and 40.7 pounds-feet of peak torque. Torque remains above 35 lbs-ft from about 2,750 rpm out to the red line. Horsepower increased in a very linear manner, exceeding 40 at about 5,500 rpm. These seem like pretty good numbers, consistent with the over-square configuration of the engine.

Triumph reports that their accessory mufflers, combined with their carburetor jet kit, add about 8 to 10 horsepower. Steve wants the new low restriction mufflers as soon as they are available in Australia. He finds the performance quite adequate, but really wants that extra horsepower, which would give his bike about the same power to weight ratio as his riding mate's old Kawasaki Z1.

mikenva

Rocker
19/43 gear @9000 rpm limit 140 rear tire
1st 64.2
2nd 89.9
3rd 113.1
4th 135.9
5th 163.9
I dont think I want to try and hit the rev limit in 4th or 5th

Craigore

TT Racer
Mine hits 100 (indicated) with no problems but the fucking clip-ons buzz and the headlight chatters so much that it's not too fun.

fergie

Scooter
So what is the maximum comfortable cruising speed on one of these bikes? Whithout working the motor too much?

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
I'm comfortable cruising at 80 - with a 19t front sprocket that's like 5000 rpm in 5th, I beleive.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Its interesting when people want the top number only, I have ridden sport bikes that were just unhappy at 45 mph and I think my Bonny generally seems quicker in the crucial 30- 70 mph range than some other bikes with more top end speed. And its happy..

Why?

If you have to "pop a wheelie", "do the ton", "do a stoppie" or "burn off a rear tire doing a "smoke out" to have fun with any motorcycle,YOU ARE RIDING FOR THE WRONG REASON!!!!!!! :rant: over