My New 1968 T100C

mark66

TT Racer
Took it out for a night ride tonight. The neutral light works; in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th. So does the brake light; always. The same can't be said for the lights on the speedo. The clutch works great after a slight adjustment on the lever. Seriously. No regrets. This is a fun bike to ride and corners great! Plus it's really comfortable. I can't wait to share it's progress with everyone.

Not sure if your just joking but if you've got just 2 warning lights in the head light bucket (which you should) they would be your high beam, and the oil pressure light. Always fun chasing down those old wiring looms.

Bonniebret

Rocker
Brett,
How did the carbs look when you took them apart?

Here's the latest. I swapped out the plugs and man, did that help a lot. It was crazy how just doing that helped it. It was running strong with no sputtering however I had to keep feathering the throttle to keep an idle. I rode it over to my mechanic's and we tried dialing it in. We got it idling albeit a little high. There was a slight leak coming from the banjo fitting on the carb. Here's where it got weird. We cranked the air/fuel mixture all the way shut (no fuel) and it ran fine. That told us there was something wrong inside the carb itself.

Friday I took just to see if it would pass emissions. It didn't but only on the sitting idle part. Friday night I rebuilt the carb. For starters it was missing the inner sleeve for the spring on the air valve. Then it had the wrong clip on the needle along with a twisted piece of wire as an attempt to keep it centered. Clean and put back together with fresh parts and gaskets back on the bike it went.

Long story short it ran about the same as before including with mixture shut off. I delivered it to my mechanic's and he noticed a number of things wrong including:

Float bowl a little high.
Some warpage from someone over-tightening the bowl.
Some warpage from someone over-tightening the banjo bolt.
Wrong jet size (too big)
Someone had increased the size of the pilot jet pressed into the body.

All this explains why it was running so rich and with the fuel off.

Fortunately the 1968 carb bodies were converted over from 2-stroke off-rode carbs so there's a spot to add another jet in the circuit. The plan's to add a new jet and close out the old circuit, fix the bowl, decrease the jet size and file down the carb halves and banjo bolt fix the warpage.

I'm supposed to pick it up tomorrow so I'll let you know how it goes.

Hamr Mark

TT Racer
Urban legend? hmmm, more like a myth.

You keep talking about how it runs, so share it with the rest of us. I am looking at picking up a '71 T100c basket case, so it would nice to have an idea of what I would be in for....

mark66

TT Racer
Urban legend? hmmm, more like a myth.

You keep talking about how it runs, so share it with the rest of us. I am looking at picking up a '71 T100c basket case, so it would nice to have an idea of what I would be in for....

Hamr, "71 basket case, Your in for plenty, like in for a penny in for a pound.:lol3:

Seriously though, if it's a real basket case be prepared to put several thousand easily into it. But remember its a labor of love.

R

Robe338

Congrats on the bike Brett. They are fun bikes. Ive got a 70 model. I could never get mine to run right with the amal carb. Rebuilt it several time. I tried several other rebuilt ones. Tried a new one, just never ran right. I finally went with one of thoes jrc replacement carbs. Runs great now and starts easily. Just doesnt quite look the part. I hope you have better luck with yours.

Oh yea post up a video when you get it running right. Id like to hear the exhaust. Im running open headers, its a bit loud. Id like to add some mufflers to mine. I like the looks of the ones on your bike.

Hamr Mark

TT Racer
Hamr, "71 basket case, Your in for plenty, like in for a penny in for a pound.:lol3:

Seriously though, if it's a real basket case be prepared to put several thousand easily into it. But remember its a labor of love.

I started a complete tear down of the '73, picked up the sandblast cab, and just waiting for a couple of extra minutes to get at it. The '71 T100C I found is pieces....everything is out and off. But I am seriously having alot of fun with the '73 that I am thinking another is due. And I just love those high pipes...would make a sweet little cafe racer. Add to that I have another 11 days until I am secure in my job (touch wood) that I can once again pick up some toys.

Bonniebret

Rocker
Alright, guys. Here are some overdue pics I snapped off this morning. The bike is currently sans carb since it's out being worked on. I haven't even had a chance to give it a proper cleaning yet but hey, It will make the next batch of shots that much more impressive.

dsc00529lg.jpg

dsc00530hg.jpg

dsc00531p.jpg

dsc00532y.jpg

Wrong tank badge (pre-unit) and tank pads will be replaced.

dsc00534lu.jpg

Original tail light has a small crack on the underside but is in good shape overall.

dsc00537le.jpg

Chain oiler works great and will probably have to be dialed down a bit.

dsc00540m.jpg

dsc00541o.jpg

For you Arrested Development fans because of these pipes the bike has been named "The Cornballer".

dsc00542b.jpg

dsc00544o.jpg

dsc00545b.jpg

Steering dampener and original Smiths speedo.

dsc00546p.jpg

dsc00549lk.jpg

mark66

TT Racer
Nice pics, bike shows a lot of promise. I do really like the look of those pipes. Shouldn't be to much to have those cases repaired and polished. Around here there's a shop that would charge around $60 to $90 depending on the extent of repair. Course if you just polish them yourself it'd be free!!!!
Does the brake pedal still hit the case or is that from some old mishap?

Makes me want to start looking for a new project bike.

Bonniebret

Rocker
Thanks! I want to take it to the point of cleaning it up but not too clean if that makes sense. Knock off the grime, polish the fenders and put some protectant on the seat, tires and rubber bits and that's it. Leave some rust here and there. Although I was going to hand polish the covers think I'll leave them for now. I like the battle scars on there. Kinda like proof of purchase. I really like the overall white and black thing going on so I'll leave it that way.

BTW the brake does not scrape the case. That was from someone else's incident.

Bonniebret

Rocker
Brett it takes 40 odd years to get it to look like that , shame to change it in a way

I want to preserve the natural look as much as possible however due to the sun and heat in Arizona I will have to put some protectant on the rubber bits. Unfortunately that will "renew" their appearance.

Newly rebuilt Amal concentric carb awaiting to be installed. Given the amount of parts swapped out it's heavy on the "new" part.

dsc00550xq.jpg

dsc00551t.jpg

dsc00552db.jpg

Last edited:

Bonniebret

Rocker
Well I installed the carb and it started on the first kick but now the bike won't start after it's been ridden and the engine's hot. When I say hot I mean normal temperature. It acts like it's flooded and it takes kicking it with the throttle open to get it to go. That's after several attempts. Once it starts it won't hold the idle long and you've gotta get moving. Once I'm going it's fine at lights. I just had the carb re-furbed and the timing adjusted. The needle is set at the middle notch. Couldn't tell you right now what the turns are for the mixture screw. The idle sounds fine when it does idle.

This happened to me twice yesterday and it's starting to piss me off. Both time were trying to get it smogged and they kicked me out out cuz it wouldn't stay running on it's own long enough to test. What pisses me off more is that I took it over to my buddy's who has a CO2 meter and we adjusted the bike to pass.

Today I just had to take a break from it all together.

WTF?!!!!

mark66

TT Racer
If it is flooded then you can try setting the needle clip in the top grove, (lowering the needle in its jet). Also make sure the floats not sticking.
Now don't get pissed at me, but this actually happened to a friend of mine on his '69 Bonnie that wouldn't run right. Check to make sure you've got the choke (air valve) lever in the right position after you start up. You could also check that the "O" ring between the carb and the manifold is seated right. Just a couple of ideas.

tezza

Street Tracker
hey Bret,heres a couple of things to try.to check float level ,take of the fuel bowl and blow in the fuel banjo with your mouth and move the float up till you dont get any air through.the float should be parrallel with the top of the bowl .if not heat in hot water the float tabs that hold the float neddle and bend into correct position(if plastic float is used otherwise just bend if alloy) .the idle air mixtuer screw should be 1 1/2 turns out as a starting point then screw in until bike starts to run rough ,screw out till it starts to run rough then 1/2 the difference. at idle it runs on the idle air mixture jet not the main jet so neddle clip height dosnt affect this, also try pouring some motor oil over carb to manifold join while it is running,you will hear the difference in the way it idles if this seals the joint showing it is leaking there. hope this helps, Tezza

Bonniebret

Rocker
Hey guys, have I got a story for you.

So this morning I went out and pulled the carb, something I've gotten really good at lately. For grins I dropped the needle. Then reset the mixture/idle to spec and guess what? Rocked it! Took it out for a spin, came back, shut it down and it fired right right back up. Did a little tweaking between the idle vs. mixture and when it sounded good I grabbed my shit any beat tracks to the testing station.

On the way there I pulled over and shut off the engine just to push my luck. Fired right up and I actually played with the idle a little more.

I got to the testing center and waited in line in the 100+ PHX heat with the engine off but would start it to move up in line. When I got inside they took my retest form scanned it and asked if I was from a dealership. "No?" They then told me the bike had already been tested and passed. As they gave me the certificate of compliance the woman asked "Don't you remember bringing it in?" Guess not.

I can say this, apparently it pays to be courteous and friendly to the manager who was on duty the last time I failed. I immediately went to the DMV and the bike is now like M.C. Hammer - Too Legit Too Quit.

Thanks everyone for your tips and suggestions. It takes a village. The bike's going to get it's douching this weekend so stand by for more pics.

mark66

TT Racer
Cool man, good news. One more time on that carb and you'll qualify for a job as a factory rep for Amal.:ride: