know your limitations

rodburner

Rocker
couple update pics for the tank project...
0_01.jpg

0_03.jpg

strokerlmt

Steve.....when the weather is betta I'm comin to meet you. I like your style and your twisted Bonneville mod vision.....
LMT

D9

Vendor
Damn that foam mockup is sweet. Yes indeed!
You gotta be excited... :headbang2:

rodburner

Rocker
I've realized that my limitations are patience and knowing when I'm being bent over. Nothing has taken place since the last pic except the cost jumped to $1200 and the time table to 'when I can fit it in". Screw that. Make me some axle adjusters for my round swing arm project,maybe a couple of other bits here and there and I'll take that $200 chunk of foam please. It will make a dandy start to a fiberglass tank,I'm thinking....

Nick Morey

Rocker
:screwy: That's a real drag, sounds like the guy ran out of motivation. :yawn:

Reminds me of a friend from my hometown, he was suppose to put another engine in a Chevette I had, 5 months later and snow is falling, I'm still riding a Suzuki back & forth to work. I finally said f**k it and my brother and I decide to go put it in ourselves, even if we didn't know what we were doing! Sometimes if you want something done you gotta do it yourself. A custom metal tank would've been cool, but a custom fiberglass tank should still look pretty sharp.

Craigore

TT Racer
:screwy: That's a real drag, sounds like the guy ran out of motivation. :yawn:

Reminds me of a friend from my hometown, he was suppose to put another engine in a Chevette I had, 5 months later and snow is falling, I'm still riding a Suzuki back & forth to work. I finally said f**k it and my brother and I decide to go put it in ourselves, even if we didn't know what we were doing! Sometimes if you want something done you gotta do it yourself. A custom metal tank would've been cool, but a custom fiberglass tank should still look pretty sharp.

and when painted you won't be able to tell the difference

rodburner

Rocker
Went ahead and carved out the tunnel so I could visualize it on a real bike.Looks ok,but would need to be a little wider for some extra capacity.Also seems pretty high above the engine,but doesn't look too totally ugly. Opinions?
jeris520.jpg

jeris522.jpg

jeris523.jpg

Don't mind the birds nest under the seat.The new mono shock is bigger diameter,so I'll need to whip up a new box.

rodburner

Rocker
I was thinking about 2" wider too. Just cut it down the middle and make 2 tank halves,draped over the back bone.That would lower it some too. The actual profile with an engine under it said 70s Kawasaki dirt bike to me.. Probably why I like it.

D9

Vendor
I liked that foam mockup first time I saw it... I like it even better now... looks as if it
BELONGS on the bike... wow. I'm down with a bit of extra width... but the lines that
tank is generating even as it is now are wonderful.

Personal opinion only... you need different wheels. The three spokers aren't quite right. Too much visual chop...need something with
a finer visual density... IMO, YMMV

Hope this isn't heresy... but the new wheels from the Bonneville SE would look killer... maybe finished all black though, but I'd like to see it either way - or maybe even just back to classic black spokes...

BonnevilleSE_2009_510x347.jpg

Last edited:

rodburner

Rocker
Seth,I still have my stockers and a set of Lester copies ala 1978 KZ650 laying in the driveway.I think they are 15"R/19"F though. Same size axles as the Bonnie though...

nohawk

Rocker
Steve that tank makes your engine look fat. It's gonna be cool. What is that silver box on the right side between the air filter and the sprocket cover?