Yet ANOTHER Powder Coating Wheel Thread...

cynr1023

TT Racer
talk about a necro post.

Sweat, you know any pace down in Austin that'll pull the bearings without trying to empty a wallet? Also, if I'm going to have the hubs and rims powder coated could I save myself some labor charge and de-lace the wheels myself?

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Found a guy to pc for 120 a set including hubs but i have to get them unlaced. Really you should just take bolt cutters to them and get some new SS spokes! Depending on the year don't be surprised if a few of the rear ones are broken.

cynr1023

TT Racer
I've got two broken ones on the rear, why does it seem that people are reticent to de-lace the wheels themselves. I hadn't thought of using bolt cutters myself but that would definitely speed up the process. "SS" spokes? wha'zat?

Texas94fs

Hooligan
I've got two broken ones on the rear, why does it seem that people are reticent to de-lace the wheels themselves. I hadn't thought of using bolt cutters myself but that would definitely speed up the process. "SS" spokes? wha'zat?

Stainless steel. Talk to the folks at buchannans, they are the shit. Then you get stronger spokes, and easier to clean. Plus delacing is a cinch, bolt cutters make ease of the job.

BlackBonNYC

Two Stroke
I've got a rear wheel from a 2005 bonneville, fully assembled with the hub and rim powdercoated black.

I'll sell it to someone. Just PM me if interested

cynr1023

TT Racer
1. can you install heavier spokes or superlace an 07 Triumph Bonneville
no problem circa $225 parts n labor/wheel
2. can you powder coat rims and hubs in a matte black
no problem circa$150-200 to prep/bead-blast/bearing R&R etc/wheel
3. how much would it all cost (estimate)
circa $750-850

gonna find another place

coopv2

Street Tracker
best to take the wheels to a bike shop to get the bearings pulled first.

Sweats is right, also If you are capable of removing the wheels your self, then have a go at removing the spokes too,
First off as he said take your wheels to a shop that has the tool to remove the bearings, Sealed bearing are notoriously hard to remove after time has aged then in place. most times the removal process can damage the bearings, removal tool uses the bearing center to drive them out, but installation uses a press on the outer edge to get them home.
consider new bearings in your costing.
You should use a spoke wrench to remove spokes, as it has a wide bite on the nipple, (dont get excited yet) if the threads are rusted, which happens, it will be hard to remove, pre CRC, RP7, WD40, to make it easier. You can not do any harm by removing them your self. BUT marking them to go back in the original place is and idiotic concept.
I think my 07 bonnie has stainless on the back from the factory...
Anyway let the powder coater do the masking as they will have to sand blast all the bits first to help with adhesion of the coating.
Then find an experienced wheel builder to reassemble with your old spokes or new stainless ones.
If all that is too hard or expensive then as Sweats said before... Spray bomb them your self. I suggest you look for a EPOXY enamel. The drying time is like 6 plus hours.... Brake caliper paint, engine enamel, etc. you will need to hand sand the parts first, and you can leave the bearings in place.
Bonus with that is when you get a tire replaced and the guy scratches the rim, you can retouch yourself ( dont get excited)
Maybe look for some used wheels on the net to experiment with and have 2 sets. chrome and black.

TC_Dick

TT Racer
So I dropped my wheels off yesterday to be de-laced and to have the bearings removed, plus I had them figure in the re-assembly and putting new tires on..

I made the mistake of taking it to the dealership.. They estimated $450 plus the cost of the new tires when I dropped them off, so I figured another $300 for the tires (tourances).

Fuck me. Somehow they have managed to get the cost up to just under a grand.

Bigted

Two Stroke
I may be off my head on this one never having done it myself but I watched a video recently online done by a guy showing you how to balance and true your wheels yourself; spokes are adjusted to achieve the result based on how the wheel stops after a spin (more or less), it didn't look that complicated.
Based on what I saw I suspect that those guys with a bit of wrenching experience wouldn't find it difficult at all.
As for re-lacing, wouldn't you just take multiple pics of the lace pattern before dis-assembly for easy reference later???!!
Like I said, maybe off my head.........
I will see if I can track down the vid.
Ted

p.s. the black enamel job sounds good to me.

Bullitt

Two Stroke
you could spray bomb the whole damn wheel assembled with wheel paint from your auto parts store. It works.

Sweat - a few questions to your comment above:
Would you suggest removing the tire?
Do you need to cover up the bearings or anything else?
Do you need to clean the wheel with anything in particular?
Sand it or primer?

Lastly, if you did it on your spoked wheels at one point, do you have any old pics?

Skeeter

Rocker
I may be off my head on this one never having done it myself but I watched a video recently online........... how the wheel stops after a spin (more or less), it didn't look that complicated.
Based on what I saw I suspect that those guys with a bit of wrenching experience wouldn't find it difficult at all.

yea i watched a video on how to do open heart surgery and that didnt look too hard till i open the dude up and saw it was a lot harder than i thought, that and he wouldnt stop screaming

07black&red

Two Stroke
For the kind of jack y'all are talking about I'd maybe look around and see if anybody makes aftermarket wheels already fu**ing painted!

TC_Dick

TT Racer
got my wheels/hubs back:

asyomammas.jpg

they should be laced/trued/rubberized by Friday.