Where oh where was my Bonnie born?

Bonafide

NBR founder
The 11th digit tells ya where it was made; J = the Hinckley factory in England ... T = Thailand factory.

cycles

moped
Its all about soul.

Or, said another way:

If the 11th digit is a J it is a British motorcycle assembled at Hinkley. You tell people that your Bonnie is a little bit of British motorcycle history.

If the 11th digit is a T it was made in Thailand but it has the "soul" of a British bike. You tell people that your Bonnie is reliable.

cycles

moped
If you don't care then you are in luck. In North America you'll probably be able to pick up a used "T" 2007 cheaper than a used "J" 2006. Many guys who say they don't care also say they plan to hang on to their "J" Bonnies. Funny that. :))

Last edited:

KingBear

Hooligan
There's an intangible element to having a British-made Bonnie but it is just that - intangible. Quality is probably about the same in Thailand, some might say (and have said) they may even be better.

07black&red

Two Stroke
Most excellent info. Next question, then: Does anybody know where I can get a little upside-down triangle, right-side case logo that says: "Made in Thailand" instead of the intentionally misleading and totally bollocks "Made in England"? Kidding of course. Although it did blow off my bike the other day and I haven't replaced it yet...

sportyone

Street Tracker
I plugged my Bonnie's VIN into http://www.pronto-net.com/vin_app/vin.php but it didn't tell me the factory. Don't even know why I care really, just wouldn't mind knowing which continent she's from I guess...

HAHAHA! :lol3:
now listen, I have a 2008 model black Bonneville,
down here in Oz it maybe different, apart from the fact that there are 17 numbers and letters in my Vin #, using your decoder thingie,
my bike is British made, but it says it was built in 1986 ??????
how's that ?

maybe they're recycling the numbers :lol3:

cycles

moped
Most excellent info. Next question, then: Does anybody know where I can get a little upside-down triangle, right-side case logo that says: "Made in Thailand" instead of the intentionally misleading and totally bollocks "Made in England"? Kidding of course. Although it did blow off my bike the other day and I haven't replaced it yet...

Mine says Great Britain. Still misleading but not an outright untruth because Triumph says that it has the "soul" of a British motorcycle. :rolleyes:

Sadly, I already purchased and placed the overpriced OEM Union Jacks (Union Flags) on my side covers. Does anyone know if Triumph sells an OEM flag of Thailand? :brit:

Nick Morey

Rocker
Mine says Great Britain. Still misleading but not an outright untruth because Triumph says that it has the "soul" of a British motorcycle. :rolleyes:

Sadly, I already purchased and placed the overpriced OEM Union Jacks (Union Flags) on my side covers. Does anyone know if Triumph sells an OEM flag of Thailand? :brit:

Hold on a minute now, it's not that simple! Last I knew the engine/tranny was still made in England as well as the tanks, frames, and such(?). Other components were made in Thailand as well as final assembly. I believe the final assembly is what the "J" and "T" are denoting. In this "global economy" things can get a bit fuzzy.

KingBear

Hooligan
Not only that but for those bikes which actually were assembled in England, how many of the parts came from Asia or elsewhere? I don't know about you but my carbs say they were made in Japan, tires in Germany, and God only knows what parts came from China.

Fuggetaboutit, just move on.

wobblygong

Street Tracker
HAHAHA! :lol3:
now listen, I have a 2008 model black Bonneville,
down here in Oz it maybe different, apart from the fact that there are 17 numbers and letters in my Vin #, using your decoder thingie,
my bike is British made, but it says it was built in 1986 ??????
how's that ?

maybe they're recycling the numbers :lol3:

I have the '02 Centennial T100 and when I put my VIN No. into the decoder it says it was built by Triumph Motorcycles Ltd, United Kingdom in 1991.
WTF????:crazy:

Wobbly:australia:

cycles

moped
Hold on a minute now, it's not that simple! Last I knew the engine/tranny was still made in England as well as the tanks, frames, and such(?). Other components were made in Thailand as well as final assembly. I believe the final assembly is what the "J" and "T" are denoting. In this "global economy" things can get a bit fuzzy.

Will Triumph remove the Union Jack from "Triumph Factory Sticker Set 6."? How about the words "Great Britain" on the engine cover? Triumph has certainly promoted the "Brit Bike" angle in the past with announcements and you-tube Hinckley videos. Barely a word was uttered about the Thai factories. I think that Triumph fully understands the intangible appeal that was mentioned by somebody earlier in this thread.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
I have a J and I am happy it was made in England. Nothing against the T Bonnies, they are the same - but I like to think of my bike as British. If I buy another, I would take a T but I would prefer ( read pay a little more for) a J.

kinky stunt

Street Tracker
The flag of Thailand wouldn't look too terribly out of place somewhere on a Truimph.

Attachments

• Thailand_flag.gif
    Thailand_flag.gif
    2.4 KB · Views: 0