What tires do you guys recommend?

NEPatriots9

Scooter
Scrambler owner looking to trade out my crumby Trailwings with some nice street tires, what do you Thruxton riders recommend?

tomville

Scooter
Last couple sets I've had the Pirelli Sport Demons on my Thruxton. I love 'em, just wish I could get more miles out of them.

Bonafide

NBR founder
Sport Demons - been thru several sets now. These things are the tits. As much as I've tried - cant reach a point where they give it up. They will hold further than I'm willing to lean her over - and I'll lean her over til she scrapes the big metal parts. ;)

Tho I will say, Scott's 'old blue' has some Avons on it - and they will stick like glue too.

That would be very dependent on riding style NEP9, & you're only going to get a guide, at best.
If you maintain the same riding style, you should get better mileage out of a road tyre. The thing is, they also hold the road a lot better. So you might be inpired to ride a little more "enthusiasticlly" & that's going to cost you in tyre wear. Tho the increased fun factor makes it worth the price (IMO)

Bonafide

NBR founder
NEP9 - I'm getting about 5k on avg for the rear. sometimes 4k ... other times 6k. I like to replace both tires at the same time. The front is only looking about halfway used up each time.

agro

Scooter
I get about 4000 - 4500 outta the rear, the front is unknown to me - 7000 miles and it still LOOKS good.

Hi John, 4000 miles out of a Sport Demon,thats like 6500 kms, I've got no hope, just fitted my first SD, 140/80, if I get 4000 km out of this tire I'll be happy, sort of, but I really like the way this tire grips and how easy it turns into bends.
I've been getting 7-7.5K kms from radial rears on my Thruxton, Michelin Pilot Road 150/70, Dunlop D205 140/80, Bridgy BT20 150/70.

Cheers............Agro

dirtydutch

Scooter
sport demons on mine. stock size front/140 rear. expect 4-6 thousand miles out of the rear. fronts last almost 2wice as long.

Last edited:

jb's Bonne

Two Stroke
I found the the sport demons cheaper then the Meztlers ME880 and the Avons. I think for my new back tire I'm going with the 140 Avons

OK, I'm going to play Devil's Advocate here, & make one last pitch for keeping dual purpose tyres on your Scram.
There's no doubt that the Dunlop Qualifiers on my St3 had a lot more grip than the Tourances on my Scram. But they really needed to, as the Street had a lot more clearance, & could be leaned further & ridden faster through corners.
However I can easilly scrape the pegs on the Scram, with the Tourances on, no matter how far I lean off the bike. So I really can't see how road tyres are going to give you any improvement in cornering grip, as the bike's ergonomical limitations will keep you from using the outer tread on most road tyres.
But Tourance's aren't cheap (tho they wear well) & if you never use their dirt ability, I suppose they are wasteful. So I can understand why you'd want to explore cheaper alternatives. Like I said,I'm just presenting the other side of the argument. & one thing I do agree on. If the choice is between Deathwings or road tyres, go the road tyres.
Good luck.
When are you going to do the deal?

Last edited:

NEPatriots9

Scooter
Probably tomorrow Scratch, thanks for the advice on the street tires vs. the Tourances.

I appreciate what you are saying, and you are right, I will be doing no unnecessary off roading on my Scram, other than camp roads and the such as needed. The Tourances are expensive and not really in keeping with the street look I am trying to achieve with the Scram. I'm even going to get the rear fender removed in the next couple of months.

Thanks again Scratcher, your advice is always valued very highly, you're the man.

P.S Thrux guys, how hard is it to tear off the rear fender with one of those kits you can buy off NB?

cynr1023

TT Racer
pretty easy to do the fender elimination, I bought the short fender with the led tail light in it and it was really an plug and play issue.

ivar

TT Racer
As for tires, my dealer swapped the front BT45 for a GT501 last year. When it was time for a new rear tire, I went for a GT501 to match the front.
But , got some stange "shudder" from the rear when riding at a relaxed pace (40-55mph). Gets more stable the more I push it. Not figured it out yet, if it is something with the tire, shock setup or something else. Any suggestions.

northcountry

Two Stroke
150/60

AGRO- I see that you have used a 150/70. I have a 150/60 pilot power from a husaberg with a 4 1/4 rim. I'd like to put it on the T-100 with the 3 1/2 rim. Would this work?

agro

Scooter
AGRO- I see that you have used a 150/70. I have a 150/60 pilot power from a husaberg with a 4 1/4 rim. I'd like to put it on the T-100 with the 3 1/2 rim. Would this work?

Well, I had a 160/60 Pilot Road on a stock rear rim, and also had 160/70 Bridgestone BT20. The Michy was too wide had 1 inch chicken strips because the tire pulled in so much the the tread edges were vetical, but the bridgy was ok looked good, tall and helped sharpen up the steering and was able to use the whole tread.

This link below from a european tire chart indicates that the 150/60 would be ok, give it a go, afterall the stock rim is only 3/4 inch smaller, which is fuckall in the scheme of things and the Pilot Power will stick like baby shit sticks to a blanket!!

http://forums.delphiforums.com/acecafe/messages?msg=780.1