How hot is too hot?

Oxblood

750cc
My bonneville seems like the hotest running bike I've ever owned. What is the operationg range for our machines? At the head? Cylinder?

--Oxblood

DandyDoug

750cc
Interesting question.
Some engineering type needs to install some thermocouples and let us know.

I will say this, mine never gave me a lick of trouble idling along in traffic during commutes when I lived in FL.
It was HOT !! and I could feel it but no problems for me or the machine. I cannot say the same about the Honda ST1300 I owned prior to the Bonneville. Bastich burned my leg and blistered my thigh.

Oxblood

750cc
I've got an infared thermometer I'm gonna shoot the head and cylinder with next time I'm out. I'm just looking for something to compare it to.

--Oxblood

Wow just noticed this is an all NC thread so far :)

Bonniebret

Rocker
Hmmm, interesting. You pulled the AI AND this is an all NC thread so far. Well I can say this. Mine has always run on the hot side.

The Scram is no hotter than any other bike I've ever ridded, & a lot cooler than some. I ride mine thru the furnace of a tropical Nth Australian Summer, & I've never had a heat issue with the bike (& it's got high pipes)

CAPTDON

Street Tracker
Hot

t feels hot I agree! I was in a parade on a TFT rally & sat in stop &go for 30+ min. Was concerned since there werwe HD's dropping like flys! Me & 2 other Bonne's inched along & into the site. It was hot but not a bit of a problem!! The seperate oil cooler pump helps a lot I am sure! Never even got an oil leak from the heat! Not to worry!!

Oxblood

750cc
Anybody got an infared thermometer wanna check the temp on the head of their bike for me after a good ride?

--Oxblood

Odysseus

Two Stroke
I'm not sure that it's any hotter than other air-cooled bikes I've ridden. The temperature around here gets beyond 40 ºC most summers, and so far the bike hasn't missed a beat, even in the stop-start traffic riding that I do most of the time.

GEOFF

Scooter
I do have an infra red themometer, but its a little cooler now than it has been. Not to mention rainy. I'll try to get some temp readings over the next few days if I can.
G

MOSES

750cc
Wait till it gets cold out, and see if it bothers you then.
Mine runs warmer than my old bikes but all but 1 had fairings...

Oxblood

750cc
Wait till it gets cold out, and see if it bothers you then.
Mine runs warmer than my old bikes but all but 1 had fairings...

I had an air cooled yamaha when I lived in vegas and this thing feels way hotter at 80 degrees ambient temp than it did at 115. I don't know if my jetting is right with my exhaust mods I've done and won't be able to go to the dyno until next weekend. This is my only form of transportation and I don't want to burn it up.

--Oxblood

hankmarx

750cc
100 c is 212 f and I will second that. I have the oil temp gauge as well.
During a dyno run i watched the technician shoot my motor with a temp gauge and the oil temp gauge was more accurate than i thought.

When It is really hot and i am flogging it the gauge reads 240.

GEOFF

Scooter
Some infra red readings

This morning it was a little cool out, after a 20 mile blast, my left cylinder, on the flat part a couple inches from the spark plug, was 218 F and the right one was 210F
Later this afternoon it was about 85 degrees F outside, and after a fairly sprited 30 miler, the left one was 232F and the right one was 220F.
G

nochicanes

Two Stroke
I put my Raytek gun on various locations after a ride at 95 degrees (blardy farenheit!)

At the base of the barrell- 263
at the case near the oil fill -232
at the spark plug - 252
exhaust pipe at the first bend - 145
at the oil cooler - 210

if you shine the led's into the oil fill window its 208

I should mention that I'm runnning FCR's and was probably averaging 85 on a thrash...

Last edited:

DavidC

Rocker
I would not worry about it mainly because there is not much you can do other than alter the weight of your oil for the season. I've never had any heat related problem with an air/oil cooled motorcycle. [Come to think of it, they're all I've ever had].