Welcome in the CB1100

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
http://www.cycleworld.com/2012/11/12/2013-honda-cb1100-first-ride/

Well it looks like Bonnie's arch-enemy is going to be crossing the Pacific this coming year. Honda is going to drop the dinero to import the CB into the states and start selling it. I have seen this bike all around over here and even had the chance to take it down the road. This is a nice bike! I would love to have this one in my shed alongside my Trumpets but how many roadsters do I need????:mad2::chin: The plan was for me to pick up an America so I can take the soul crushing ball and chain out with me and go two up to have a little fun. Shit is going to hit the fan if I come home with this instead:lol:

Lone Trumpet

Street Tracker
Love it... always wanted a late 70s or early 80s Honda CB. I've been hoping Honda would bring this new CB to the states ever since I first saw it online several years ago. If all goes as planned I'll be getting one. I'd be very interested in a more in depth review since you had to opportunity to ride one.

Last edited:

neuroboy

750cc
clearly, i'm biased, but a i suspect this will be a great bike just maybe less character than the triumph twins. it's pretty even if i don't think i'd want one.

the other 1100R concept bike that was debuted at the same time is a different story. . . it looks the business.

Honda_CB1100R_concept.jpg

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
wow, epic fail making the tank look anything like a classic CB...

That is exactly what the Meriden guys say about our bikes and there is already a pretty strong following for CBs...;)

I don't buy the character/soul argument but to each their own. The CB has it's own following and a lot people (including myself) think this bike has a very cool history/character.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeMgEuf30G4

Last edited:

2Monkeys

Street Tracker
yes, but the new bonnies have a tank that most people would consider similar, the tank for the new CB could in no way ever be confused for a classic CB tank by anyone in the worlds general populace...;)

I'm sure it will be/is a good bike, and I love the balls they have putting that tail light on it. They did get much closer to a caricature of a proper CB tail light than Hinkley bonnies got with their ET taillight.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Keep in mind that I love my Trumpets. I have two in the shed right now and plan on putting a third in there once I get back stateside. But I have spent a lot of time in Europe and Asia and it really blows my mind by how much more choices there are in the motorcycle market. The market in the states is so freaking limited and narrow minded...I guess I am hoping for a good, old fashioned roadster war and that in turn could help the cafe scene. I see the competition as a good thing.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
I'd be very interested in a more in depth review since you had to opportunity to ride one.

Sorry about that...I thought you were referring to the article I threw up. I was only able to take it on a real quick run as I ran into a CB get together during the summer on one of my rides. We ended up having a good time going at each other...I think I did a write up on it. Either way...the bike is nice. It is what you would expect a CB to be...runs tight and spot on. Shifting was butter smooth and the bike is quicker and more agile than the Bonnie. The bike is good in the twisties but it's still a retro roadster so there is better out there for that kind of thing but the same could be said about our Bonnies. I believe these bikes come stock at 87 bhp and they weigh almost exactly the same as a Hinkley Bonnie so it will drop our bikes without even thinking twice. The finish is real clean but even the aftermarket over here in Japan is still extremely limited. I am 6'5" and felt the CB was a really comfortable fit but I also think my Bonnie fits comfortably too. All in all, I really liked this bike but I would never get rid of my Bonnie to get it. I love Brit bikes and I am also a huge fan of the twin engine. In the sound department, our Bonnies are a beautiful opera singer and the CB is a drunk hag singing karaoke at the local watering hole.:D

JimmyR

Street Tracker
FWIW I also think the new CB1100F is better looking in the flesh than in the pics. Very comfy too - possibly more comfy than my Bonnie even! I haven't ridden one but I have sat on a few (!). It feels a lot smaller than it looks.

Bonafide

NBR founder
MSRP $9999 - I like it. Not selling my Bonny for it , but I want one.

I have the same feelings. To me, it looks like they re-created a 79-82-ish Honda CB .. not a 69-76 SOHC version. The lines/shape of the tank/seat looks like shit (to me). I like it to a point of OK and having a garage full of cool-as-shit CB750s helps me to say no to buying one.

dschief

750cc
I love the fact that Honda finally unleashed this bike on the US, I have been waiting for something like this for a long time. I do wish it would have been a Yamaha, but that's a long story (where's my XS1100?).
As far as the weight goes, I have read that it is around 550lbs. full of fuel and fluids, which would make it a tad heavier than a carb'd Bonneville, but probably not noticeable from the saddle.
Personally, I can't wait to try one, my wife has already given me her blessing!

Lone Trumpet

Street Tracker
Sorry about that...I thought you were referring to the article I threw up. I was only able to take it on a real quick run as I ran into a CB get together during the summer on one of my rides. We ended up having a good time going at each other...I think I did a write up on it. Either way...the bike is nice. It is what you would expect a CB to be...runs tight and spot on. Shifting was butter smooth and the bike is quicker and more agile than the Bonnie. The bike is good in the twisties but it's still a retro roadster so there is better out there for that kind of thing but the same could be said about our Bonnies. I believe these bikes come stock at 87 bhp and they weigh almost exactly the same as a Hinkley Bonnie so it will drop our bikes without even thinking twice. The finish is real clean but even the aftermarket over here in Japan is still extremely limited. I am 6'5" and felt the CB was a really comfortable fit but I also think my Bonnie fits comfortably too. All in all, I really liked this bike but I would never get rid of my Bonnie to get it. I love Brit bikes and I am also a huge fan of the twin engine. In the sound department, our Bonnies are a beautiful opera singer and the CB is a drunk hag singing karaoke at the local watering hole.:D

Thanks Brother. I love twins too, but can definitely see one of these in-line fours in my future. Now that we have just about emptied out our nest, I have been wanting something a little bigger, smoother and more comfortable so I can take the Mrs. with every now and then. Hopefully I can swing two bikes and keep my Bonnie, but if I can only keep one I'm willing to let my baby go to make room for what certainly appears to be a great all around bike. I think the Bonnie is a better looking bike, but the new CB1100 may just be more practical for my situation.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
I think the Bonnie is a better looking bike, but the new CB1100 may just be more practical for my situation.

I think that is where the Hondas reign right there....when it comes to practicality and functionality. The Hinkley plant has done an exceptional job taking on that part of their product but the CB comes with that history of reliability. Like I said....there will always be a Bonnie in my shed but I do like this bike a lot.

JimmyR

Street Tracker
I agree about the shape of the tank - I'm a bit disappointed about that too. I wish they'd kept a straight line underneath the tank and seat. But even the Hinckley Triumph isn't as straight under the tank and seat as I would like. But I still say the Honda looks better in the flesh than in photos.

The thing about Hondas is that I have two of their cars and even a generator made by Honda and they NEVER break down. I have had my (actually very boring) Accord for over 10 years and apart from servicing (usually well past the scheduled time) all I have had to do is replace the starter motor solenoid. That's it. It got written off in a hailstorm a couple of years ago but I bought it back from the insurer at wreck value because apart from being covered in little dents there is nothing wrong with it. So I drive around in a very comfortable $1500 car.

So I would imagine the bike to be reliable too. I got a Triumph because it was cheaper used than a new Honda, there are way more aftermarket parts available and I wanted a twin. Having just rebuilt an old Suzuki GS1100 I am burned out on straight 4s!

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Although , this straight 4 has fuel injection - so no carb hassles.

You know, I'm all for the standards, retro's whatever you want to call them. I am not a fan of the niche bikes, I think that the Rossi racer wannabees, and the Orange County Choppers have taken a lot of the fun out of things - and this step back - is really a huge step in the right direction!

Last edited:

JimmyR

Street Tracker
And it's a new bike, so I doubt I would be having issues tuning it. I would love a 4-2 reverse cone exhaust for it. It would not be too hard to make one of these into something even cooler. One thing I noticed last time I saw one is that the engine looks really tall in the frame.

BTW I really like the wheels. The front fender is cool - just imagine a shorter rear fender and lower bars with bar end mirrors - it would look great.