Weird

tchef

Scooter
I was cruising along with 120 mi. on the odometer pretty much time to fill up.
I always wait untill I sputter then flip on reserve, this time it kept going and going.Got to 145, sputters, flip to reserve no fuel! I checked and I wasn't on reserve the whole time.Where did my reserve go? Any input? PS it was a long push home.

KingBear

Hooligan
Check the valve and see if the knob has come unseated. There's a screw at the bottom of the valve that holds the knob in place, and the knob is just a sort of key that turns the valve. See if the screw backed out and allowed the knob to work its way out. It seems unlikely to say the least but I can't think of anything else.

wolfie

Two Stroke
If Kingbear's suggestion isn't it, pull the petcock, and make sure that your reserve tube is still present and intact. After that, maybe a bad o-ring inside the petcock, though I think that would just make it leak.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
I'm betting you were on reserve the whole time, so I'd reverse the way you had the petcock and see if that works. It's a simple mistake to make and a simple fix if that's what it was.:chair:

mikenva

Rocker
you mean if the main tube came off the res tube is at the bottom of the tankthe main tube is the longer one.

wolfie

Two Stroke
you mean if the main tube came off the res tube is at the bottom of the tankthe main tube is the longer one.

Yup. Gotta bear with me, I'm all hopped up on vicodin due to loppin off part of my finger w garage door.

The tube is on the main. if it's missing or damaged, both sides will use all the fuel. I've seen it happen beforte on a friends bike.

KingBear

Hooligan
*ALWAYS* start looking for gas at 100 miles...
Well, know where a gas station is anyway, but I certainly wouldn't waste my time filling up every hundred miles. Unless you have totally screwed your gas mileage with performance mods and aggressive riding there's no reason you shouldn't be riding at least 125 miles before you hit reserve. Today I hit reserve at 142 miles then pushed my reserve to 173 miles before tanking up with 3.836 gallons at Exxon. That's exactly 45mpg which is what I've always gotten on my stock bike.

And that's the key - know your bike. Only you know what kind of mileage you get from your bike setup and your riding habits. Not only will it keep you from getting stuck on the side of the road, but when you see an anomaly you'll know to check for something wrong with your bike.

That's today's contribution from Captain Obvious. :)

tchef

Scooter
Thanks for the input.Before I pull the petcock I will fill up and watch it closer.
I have a few little fuck withs hanging around (grandkids) maybe they turned the valve. I had just changed oil (rotella) I thought wow great oil! More mpg lol

Thruxtonian

Street Tracker
I've only been getting 100-105 before hitting reserve. Baffled stock pipes, no AI, airbox stock...I'm planning to go do a test tomorrow, figured I'll take a gallon of gas strapped to the back, and go until I run dry just to see for sure. When I hit reserve at 105 or so, it's only taking 2.8 or 2.9 gallons.

Thruxtonian

Street Tracker
As mentioned elsewhere, I did 91 miles yesterday, then put in 2.10 gal US. for approx. 43.3 MPG. Not too shabby.

DIRK

750cc
oh ya blame it on the munchkins. it was the theys who turned my gas to reserve argguguggugugugugggg

tchef

Scooter
Update. I finally got away from my salt mine to take a long ride. I forgot to turn the petcock off reserve! I got to 125 miles and sputterd out.So I figured 20 miles on reserve. I also apologized to the munchkins.:lame:

Chris in NC

Street Tracker
If the lever is pointed "down", the petcock is "ON".. if the lever is pointed "up", the petcock is on "Reserve".

If you have a 2009, you have no petcock to worry about... :brit_tit: