Views on a kick start model

I just bought the revised edition Triumph Bonneville by Steve Wilson. It mentions the decision not to include a kick start on the Hinckleys was basically because "the projected customer base looks for convenience over period quirkines" Clifford pg 160

As part of that customer base Clifford is refering to, I would personally have preferred a kickstart, (as well as electrics of course).

As we are all part of that base, what are your views?

http://www.musicswapshoppe.com/triumph_bonneville.html

Last edited:

Carnation

Street Tracker
No need, no point.

Edit: I thought the reason there was no kickstart was that it was too hard to do with the chain on the right.

Last edited:

REVOLT

Street Tracker
I was thinking of bolting a Japanese kicker arm to my sprocket cover...maybe backwards? That would look cool! :confused:

D9

Vendor
Don't see how having a kickstarter would've been a bad thing... IMO looks
damn good on the W650!

xl+2000_kawasaki_w650+engine_right_view.jpg

Well it seems so far. That the majority of the customer base (on this forum) do not agree with Triumphs marketing manager Mr Clifford.
Keep em coming please, would like as many as possible from each New Bon owner. If its a large enough survey, I may even write to Tiumph, as I for one would only ever get rid of my baby if a new one with kick start was available.

http://www.musicswapshoppe.com/triumph_bonneville.html

Carnation

Street Tracker
yeah but..................the transmission is reversed on the Bonnie. The engine is not orientated the same as the W650. you don't want a kicker on the left do you?

Phil-1100

Scooter
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No need, no point, spot on!

KingBear

Hooligan
The kick starter is cool from a purely nostalgic point of view, and while I admit it would be kinda neat to have both ala W650, I'm fine with just the electric. I mean really, how many of you would go out on a cold morning and look forward to jumping on the kick starter half a dozen times to fire it up? Flash back 40 years and take a poll among owners then, I bet they'd all opt for the electric start. To them kick starting wasn't charming, it was a PITA!

These are the good old days!

Texas94fs

Hooligan
I'll agree with the king, would be cool for a bit, but then you'd be wishing for that electric start button

derby boy

Two Stroke
If Triumph would have designed the Hinkley Bonnies with a kicker it would be cool but pretty useless, unless your like me and just like the feeling of kick starting and engine to life. The reality is that you would want the kicker if the battery went dead. The problem is with modern electronic ignition modules if you don't have good battery voltage it doesn't want to start or run. You could fire the old mag systems with no voltage.
So the long winded answer is "Useless with todays technology"