URGENT: Can I replace only the inner tube or need to replace tube and tire?

wiseanhyzer

Two Stroke
I'm not the killing man...

Rangers maybe.

http://www.navyseals.com/forums/showthread.php?p=135686

killerman.gif

Stars&Bars

Two Stroke
As a retired Health Care Practicioner, I can't help but envisioning a herniated tire where the tube(intestines) is forced to bulge up and out of the holes in the tire possibly coming into contact with the abrasive road surface. For the cost of a new tire I wouldn't bet my life on a jury-rigged fix as it will most likely pick a time when you are leaned over and running balls out to rupture.
The old saying about buying a ten dollar helmet if you have a ten dollar head comes to mind while thinking about your question and the fixes that are being discussed.
But I'm a rider who doesn't wait till the wear indicators are clearly present before replacing a tire.
I'd replace that tire and tube, it is all that is keeping you in controll of your ride, but that's just me. I'm not fond of full body cast and the thought of laying in traction for long periods of time isn't worth it to me. I hate to hear about any motorcyclist being involved in a crash and it's all the more painful when it involves something as easy to fix as changing a damaged tire. Hope you have the operatunity to catch the dirtbag who poked a knife in your tire. Treat him like it was an attempt to cause death or dismemberment of your person.
Good luck in whatever decision you make about the tire.

Last edited:

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
I initially didn't respond with much context but I will add that I am very surprised tooble that you would even consider booting that tire. A boot no where near comes close the orginal structural integrity of a tire in the critical side wall area in particular and to me I would NEVER consider that option on a bonneville which most take to high speed on ocassion.
Hey, some skydive out of airplanes without parachutes too. :)
A blowout at a fair speed...tire stress goes up proportional to speed and why tires have speed rating...can be life ending. IMO motorcycles are dangerous enough without introducing one additional risk element.
GOOD LUCK.
PS: The reason why anybody who knows about tires would never recommend a sidewall be booted is because of the stresses on it.
When hitting bumps in the road the side flexes i.e. compresses. When booting a sidewall, the adhesive is under considerable shear force which peels the boot away from the sidewall over time. This btw doesn't occur only when you hit bumps...but every time the tire goes around as it displaces its footprint. A rubber inner tube also doesn't have nearly the structural integrity of a corded sidewall either. This is a very different dynamic than booting the tread portion of the tire where the principle stresses are elongation or strain which have a much higher success rate of keeping the boot glued to the inner ply of the tire. I personally would never boot a motorcycle tire period but would absolutely not boot one with a sidewall tear...ever.
Lastly I will share my two biggest fears when riding a motorcycle. Somebody pulling out on me when I am up to speed and a catastrophic tire failure at high speed. I prey every day I ride that neither will happen to me or any of you guys.

Last edited:

normandy

Street Tracker
In an earlier post you said the cuts were in the tread. With a newer tire I would think about patching that as described. However, your photo shows the cuts in the sidewall. Turf the tire as the cords could be cut.