URGENT: Can I replace only the inner tube or need to replace tube and tire?

So today I woke up to find the front tire of my 2007 Bonnie flat. Turns out someone took a knife poked a couple holes in it. The holes/slits are about 1/4" in length and they are about an inch apart from each other.

Now normally for tubeless tires you would have to replace. However given that my wheels use inner tubes, can I get away with just replacing the inner tubes and not needing to get new tires?

Bonniebret

Rocker
First off, that sucks man. My gut says replace both. I'd be concerned with the belts being sliced and compromising the integrity of the tire and risking your safety.

MES

750cc
That really sucks.

If the tires were slit on the side wall then you have no option but to replace both.
If the slits are on the tread part then it is up to you.

If however, you decide to only replace to replace the tube, you should patch the tire on the inside so that you don't get repeated "pinch" flats.

the tire deforms under stress and load causing the cut to open up. The tube gets pinched and then rips or chafes and you get another flat.

I'm not a wussy about patched tires, but, because the cuts are so close together I would replace the tire also.

Last edited:
I,m with MES on your problem.
If your tyre still has plenty of tread left and it's the rear, I'd glue a piece of the old tube directly to the inside of the damaged tyre. If it's on the front and still good tread left it's a harder call. Make the patch smaller and have the wheel balanced. Caution the first time you get up to the higher speeds. What you have to look for will be a bit of a shake at high speed, unlikely but possible.

I,m with MES on your problem.
If your tyre still has plenty of tread left and it's the rear, I'd glue a piece of the old tube directly to the inside of the damaged tyre. If it's on the front and still good tread left it's a harder call. Make the patch smaller and have the wheel balanced. Caution the first time you get up to the higher speeds. What you have to look for will be a bit of a shake at high speed, unlikely but possible.

It happened on the front tire. There is still plenty of thread left. So take piece of old inner tube and have it glued to the small slits on the inside of the tire?

steamfitter

Two Stroke
sorry, not trying to be a jerk, but how much is your life worth? i know in this economy, it is easy to skimp and find cheap ways to avoid spending money, but you are risking a major accident for a few hundred bucks or so. do yourself a favor a get the new tire and tube. we really don't want to have anybody post on here that you were in a bad accident.-keith

Bonafide

NBR founder
toob .. If it were me, I'd replace the tire. The fact is, the structure of the tire has been compromised and there's a lot of stress placed on the tire even through normal riding that could cause it to come apart at the punctures. I know it sucks, but the $100 for a new front tire could mean the difference of you riding safe or eating asphalt.

TC_Dick

TT Racer
Put me in the "replace the tire camp."

As my grandfather used to say, "a new tire is a lot cheaper than a new ass."

Also, the person that cut your tires is a fucking douchebag. Never mess with another person's ride..

Chris in NC

Street Tracker
Tire slashers beware.. I'm not the killing man, I'm the killing man's son, but I'll do the killing til the killing man comes ...

It happened on the front tire. There is still plenty of thread left. So take piece of old inner tube and have it glued to the small slits on the inside of the tire?

If it was mine, from what you said I'd go about 1 inch all around the cut with well glued old tube. If the two cuts are very close to each other I'd like to see a photo before further comment.

sorry, not trying to be a jerk, but how much is your life worth? i know in this economy, it is easy to skimp and find cheap ways to avoid spending money, but you are risking a major accident for a few hundred bucks or so. do yourself a favor a get the new tire and tube. we really don't want to have anybody post on here that you were in a bad accident.-keith

Keith, you are technically correct, BUT, motorcycling is a big game and for me it's a matter of calculated risk taking and without actually seeing this one I'd say patch and ride. I wouldn't do it on a high powered bike or a track bike but on my day to day ride yes.

Details...(photo intensive)

If it was mine, from what you said I'd go about 1 inch all around the cut with well glued old tube. If the two cuts are very close to each other I'd like to see a photo before further comment.

Keith, you are technically correct, BUT, motorcycling is a big game and for me it's a matter of calculated risk taking and without actually seeing this one I'd say patch and ride. I wouldn't do it on a high powered bike or a track bike but on my day to day ride yes.

I'm on the same mindset of "otherwise." Here are detailed pics so you can better asses the situation:

IMG_0898.jpg

IMG_0897.jpg

IMG_0896.jpg

IMG_0895.jpg

IMG_0894.jpg

IMG_0893.jpg

IMG_0891.jpg

IMG_0890.jpg

tezza

Street Tracker
if its a rear do a masive burnout and take photos then toss it in the bin .why risk it, a bad trye is exactly that, bad

After viewing the photos all I have to say is if it was mine I'd cut the old tube into one banana shaped patch, making it about 1 to 1.5 inches beyond the extremities of the cuts, glue in place and fit a new tube. When reassembled pump it up to double running pressure and make sure it isn't starting to open up, then deflate to normal running pressure. When I worked in bike shops I saw many customer repairs come in for correction, that tyre if patched is nothing. Having said that, for litigation reasons, we would have told the customer to change it. Hope your village vandal doesn't return.

After viewing the photos all I have to say is if it was mine I'd cut the old tube into one banana shaped patch, making it about 1 to 1.5 inches beyond the extremities of the cuts, glue in place and fit a new tube. When reassembled pump it up to double running pressure and make sure it isn't starting to open up, then deflate to normal running pressure. When I worked in bike shops I saw many customer repairs come in for correction, that tyre if patched is nothing. Having said that, for litigation reasons, we would have told the customer to change it. Hope your village vandal doesn't return.

What kind of glue would you recommend?

What kind of glue would you recommend?

Brand names change from country to country so that's a hard question. The type of contact adhesive where you place a small amount on each surface and when it is tacky (not wet) you offer the two surfaces together will work. All you are trying to do is hold it in place until the new tube is pressurized and then it aint going anywhere. I'd say try to avoid the type of glue that when dry becomes brittle like "super glue". I have a friend who repairs shoes and he used that contact type to good advantage on my race leathers before stitching the edges after my getoffs.:hurt:

It's obvious and understandable that many wouldn't agree with my comments. It's about being practical, if money isn't an issue, what the hell just replace the tyre. If money's a bit short just now then it's a 95% bet it will be OK, just remember when on a country road and starting to open the twist grip up, as fast as it can go may not be a good idea. Hell I've joined a broken chain with fencing wire when out in the bush, easy when taking off, baby it a bit and it got me home.
All of my comments are what I'd do for myself, not saying to do it, your call.

Last edited:

T-boy

Rocker
Tire slashers beware.. I'm not the killing man, I'm the killing man's son, but I'll do the killing til the killing man comes ...

I'd like to know where this came from, also.

toob...vandalism sucks big time. I'd replace the tire. Better safe than sorry.