track day preps for the thruxton

ashwinc

moped
I'm thinking of going for a track day sometime and was curious what kind of mods does an almost-stock 2010 thruxton require to fly through the corners on the track ? Having never been on a track before, watching vids on youtube makes we wonder if knee-downs are possible on this bike ?

While riding on the tail of the dragon earlier this year, I noticed the side stand scrapping on the right side rather easily 'cause of the predator pipe mod. That does restrict the lean angle on the right. I can fix that, but I'm still curious if any Thruxton riders raced on the track, scrapping footpegs and what mods they did, if any ? :)

cheers!

I'm thinking of going for a track day sometime and was curious what kind of mods does an almost-stock 2010 thruxton require to fly through the corners on the track ? Having never been on a track before, watching vids on youtube makes we wonder if knee-downs are possible on this bike ?

While riding on the tail of the dragon earlier this year, I noticed the side stand scrapping on the right side rather easily 'cause of the predator pipe mod. That does restrict the lean angle on the right. I can fix that, but I'm still curious if any Thruxton riders raced on the track, scrapping footpegs and what mods they did, if any ? :)

cheers!

I'm not sure how good of a rider you are, but the Thruxton should be ready to go for the track right out to the box. Check the track organization's policy for bike prep and what will pass tech.

I would tape up all your lights...brake, headlights, turn signals. Hell, see if you can remove the turn signals and and the brakes. Because if you go down at least you wont ruin them. If there is a way to remove and make the bike run without the headlights even better.

I would think with the predator pipe mod you should be able to have the same lean angles versus stock. If you're scraping hard parts, you may need to modify body position so you're more inside and can take a turn faster without having to lean the bike much. I know one of our forum members on here (Texas???) tracks his Thruxton. Maybe he can chime in.

For our bikes, is the track you're going on have any off-cambre turns? Those are what I would be concerned about scraping hard parts. If its flat or has some positive camber then you really have nothing to worry about. Again, concentrate on form where you are inside the bike so you dont have to put as much lean angle to take turns. But again, lean angle is relative to speed.

The other thing to consider is make sure you get the proper track pressures for your tires. They are different than your typical street pressures.

Sorry if I added more to worry about, but trackdays are all about fun. Just go at your own pace and don't rush it. Pick up the pace as you get comfortable. If you try to go gung ho right away, it will bite you in the ass hard.

In the end, its not the mods that make a bike go fast...its the rider. I can't tell you how many times Ive burned liter bikes on the track with my Daytona 675...and how many sportbikes Ive burned at Palomar Mountain on my Bonneville. I actually plan on taking my Bonneville for the first time to Chuckwalla Valley Raceway possibly in December. And my Bonneville is COMPLETELY stock.

EDIT: Ive added photos of me doing Palomar Mountain with pictures (I think) are proper form so you can go fast in corners and not have to lean the bike as far. Its impossible for me to drag knee and when I use dragging pegs as equivalent to dragging my knee. Ive dragged muffler at times and its pretty bad. Drag hard enough and it will shoot you straight up!

Attachments

• Palomar Mountain 08-15-09.jpg
    Palomar Mountain 08-15-09.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Palomar Mountain 08-15-09_002.jpg
    Palomar Mountain 08-15-09_002.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Hwy 94_05-08-10.jpg
    Hwy 94_05-08-10.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Hwy 94_05-08-10-073.jpg
    Hwy 94_05-08-10-073.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

cheers!

If your bike is bone stock at least wind the spring preload as hard as it will go at both ends and remove your sidestand. This means you will need a race stand and hopefully, a helper (mate, girlfriend etc) at the track with you. For track days, start with 30psi cold in the front and 28psi cold in the rear then allow 2 or 3 laps to get the tires up to temp before you get serious. Presures normally rise about 4psi when hot.

To start with, DO NOT focus on scraping things whether it be knees or hard parts (leave that to the wankers) but focus on smooth lines and finding a comfortable pace that you can build on. After a few track days you will find your lap times will come down and you may have to fit longer rear shocks to quicken up the steering and keep the hardware off the deck.

ABP_7636.jpg

Last edited:
If you bike is bone stock at least wind the spring preload as hard as it will go at both ends and remove your sidestand. This means you will need a race stand and hopefully, a helper (mate, girlfriend etc) at the track with you. For track days, start with 30psi cold in the front and 28psi cold in the rear then allow 2 or 3 laps to get the tires up to temp before you get serious. Presures normally rise about 4psi when hot.

To start with, DO NOT focus on scraping things whether it be knees or hard parts (leave that to the wankers) but focus on smooth lines and finding a comfortable pace that you can build on. After a few track days you will find your lap times will come down and you may have to fit longer rear shocks to quicken up the steering and keep the hardware of the deck.

ABP_7636.jpg

Yes!!! While I did mention it, I should have really emphasized on this! Just ride your own ride.

ashwinc

moped
awesome snaps !! and great advice ! I'm thinking of going to VIR which I believe has a good mix of ups,downs and nasty curves. Should be fun ! I wasnt aware of the tire pressure bit there. Thanks for the heads up ! It makes sense that you'd want slightly lesser air to get more traction in the corners.

Anyone raced their thruxtons/bonnies at VIR before ?

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Sorry I'm late to the party.

My main piece of advice to you will be this.

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

Don't get out there thinking you know it all and can ride the pants off of the bike straight away. I will tell you right now, you are in for an ego check of epic proportions never having ridden track. The stock thruxton will be fine for the track. You however running tubes will be running a higher pressure than what the guys with tubeless tires might offer you as advice. (the tube creates more friction in the tire and causes it to heat much faster) You will not scrape parts for a long while, not even the side stand. I've ridden two tracks one with off camber turns and all that and even at large lean angles nothing has dragged yet even with the edges of my much larger than stock tires rolled completely. When you go out onto the track focus on the lines. Get the lines down and then start to pick up your pace and work on other things like body position etc etc. RELAX and enjoy yourself, I could preach on and on about the stuff to say but mainly just go out and have a good time and remember the one thing. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. PM me if you have any other specific questions.

I've ridden VIR south on my thruxton. I don't think I even get close to dragging hard parts. Dragged knee in one turn. If you are dragging hard parts, you are pushing the bike down underneath you. You want your body to be inside of the center line of the bike. Read some books. Lee Parks Total Control. Nick Ienatch Sport Riding Techniques. As others have said, ride your own pace. Relax - you will get strafed on the straightaways - don't flinch - just hold your line. Your trackday org will tell you what prep you need to do to your bike. As for upgrades, concentrate on suspension. I have emulators and constant rate springs in the fork. ZRX shocks in the back.

FoothillRyder

Two Stroke
Lad, there's been much good advice here. I've done a track day on the Thruxton I had a couple years back, and it was a fine machine. If you have the OEM shocks, you definitely need to crank up the preload. I would accept Dave's advice on tire pressures, although track temp has an affect. The 30/28 numbers should be a good starting point; but be sure these measurements are made with the tires COLD (not right off the track or the road). Remember... if you run lower pressures to start with, the tires will heat up TOO MUCH (and you won't like that!). The 4psi pressure rise Dave mentioned is about right. Much more than that and you started with the pressure too low.

Make sure everything is tight (to spec). If you still have the OEM mirrors I would take them off. Bar ends should be okay (but may take it tough if you go down).

Here's my riding list...

1. RELAX. You cannot be smooth if you're tense. Riding at speed on the track should be fun, not a chore.

2. FOCUS ON LEARNING THE COURSE FIRST. Most track-days have 'instructors', or at least track-savvy guys who know the course and are willing to do some teaching.

3. RELAX. When you do get some speed, know that the bike will move around a little - LET IT (it is quite normal).

4. LOOK WHERE YOU WANT TO GO, and chances are good you'll end up there. Focus your attention on the exit of the corner you're in!

5. RELAX. The Thrux will NOT let you down. I've had my knee on the deck on mine; but then I've got a few thousand race miles under my belt. 'Getting a knee down' is NOT something you should focus on (ever!).

Remember, riding a motorcycle should be fun. The Thrux is a very good machine to learn track techniques on, as it won't overwhelm you with power; but it has enough to go surprisingly quickly.

Enjoy lad, and keep us posted!

Last edited:

ashwinc

moped
Hello,

just curious about the kind of maintenance you guys do for your efi thruxtons, if you ride hard. chain lubing, slack adjustments, oil changes aside, what other frequent checks and care is helpful if you red line at every gear shift ?

Cheers !

JRMSR

Scooter
Lad, there's been much good advice here. I've done a track day on the Thruxton I had a couple years back, and it was a fine machine. If you have the OEM shocks, you definitely need to crank up the preload. I would accept Dave's advice on tire pressures, although track temp has an affect. The 30/28 numbers should be a good starting point; but be sure these measurements are made with the tires COLD (not right off the track or the road). Remember... if you run lower pressures to start with, the tires will heat up TOO MUCH (and you won't like that!). The 4psi pressure rise Dave mentioned is about right. Much more than that and you started with the pressure too low.

Make sure everything is tight (to spec). If you still have the OEM mirrors I would take them off. Bar ends should be okay (but may take it tough if you go down).

Here's my riding list...

1. RELAX. You cannot be smooth if you're tense. Riding at speed on the track should be fun, not a chore.

2. FOCUS ON LEARNING THE COURSE FIRST. Most track-days have 'instructors', or at least track-savvy guys who know the course and are willing to do some teaching.

3. RELAX. When you do get some speed, know that the bike will move around a little - LET IT (it is quite normal).

4. LOOK WHERE YOU WANT TO GO, and chances are good you'll end up there. Focus your attention on the exit of the corner you're in!

5. RELAX. The Thrux will NOT let you down. I've had my knee on the deck on mine; but then I've got a few thousand race miles under my belt. 'Getting a knee down' is NOT something you should focus on (ever!).

Remember, riding a motorcycle should be fun. The Thrux is a very good machine to learn track techniques on, as it won't overwhelm you with power; but it has enough to go surprisingly quickly.

Enjoy lad, and keep us posted!
Good advice and if I could add one more thing, enjoy yourself.

Cheers
Jeff:motorbike2:

ratlab

Scooter
maintenance

Hello,

just curious about the kind of maintenance you guys do for your efi thruxtons, if you ride hard. chain lubing, slack adjustments, oil changes aside, what other frequent checks and care is helpful if you red line at every gear shift ?

Cheers !

check your not vibrating things loose and change the oil after track day-power falls off near redline-should be shifting a little before-if you redline every gearshift you should buy a backup engine