Reasons NOT to buy a Bonneville...

strokerlmt

I call bullshit on the previous mod comment.....
Brit Race Green....excellent.....
Now stop talking about it and go find and buy the fucking bike...
LMT

koifarm

Hooligan
I'd been thinking of painting my Goodwood green tank with gold where the white was on the one pictured but now that I see that one, I'm thinking cream might be an option.

Nick Morey

Rocker
be64926d.jpg

This one is Goodwood Green/Aztec Gold from 2004. One of my favorite color combos. :)
The newer models are Forest Green/New England White.
There ain't no cream or British racing green on stock bikes. ;)

Last edited:

simpson

TT Racer
I have a much stronger resolve than that...

You won't find me getting tempted by fancy upgrades and the like....:ride:

yeah...me too.

my bike is done now.

...but there is that big-bore kit, and while I'm doing that I might as well do the FCR carbs...(etc. etc.)

-simpson

strokerlmt

Koifarm.......the gold would look good IMHO if the swoosh was much much smaller. I have often toyed with going solid British Racing Green.
LMT

koifarm

Hooligan
colors

Koifarm.......the gold would look good IMHO if the swoosh was much much smaller. I have often toyed with going solid British Racing Green.
LMT

Stroker,
I stand corrected on the forest green/new england white call but still, I think it might look pretty good on my rig.
However, is there any major difference between the goodwood green and forest green and british racing green? Seems like they should all be pretty close to me.
Also, can you give me an idea on your idea of the smaller swoosh? Like 1/4 less 1/3 less or something like that?
And along with that, I'd need to figure something out for the sidecar as well although if I don't do the stripe on the fenders maybe the car can go without. My sense of it is though, that some sort of decoration on the car would make the pair stand out. (you can find pics of the rig on the search function) If I could incorporate a similar swoosh on the car it might look pretty special...
thanks Stroker..

monty

Street Tracker
Arkwright, for goodness sake get a grip.

Just buy a bonnie and start using it. We are in the middle of the best summer we've had for years. If you wait any longer you'll miss it.

If there was a reason for not buying one then you have to look at the finish. Early ones lifted the paint on the crankcases and barrels. Also the wheels were prone to the tin worm with rusty nipples { OOO ER MISSUS !:eeek:}

Why not buy one within your price range or cheaper. It'll still stop and go the same. Then save a bit of dosh and get a paint job done to your choice.

I've had mine for nine years now and I would rather shove wasps up my arse than get rid of it.

There.

Monty.

Okay...I can't take it anymore...

...time for some tough love....

Oh for fuq's sake just get a one now!!! :mad2:

All this whining about getting the right color and price...you're worst than the high school chick "waiting for the right moment and guy to break her virginity!" :poke:

This is the peak of the riding season...and every day you tell yourself reasons not to get a Bonneville is time not spent either looking for a Bonneville to buy...or riding one.

Color is THE LAST thing you need to worry about. If it bothers you that much, then just get it repainted. You'll only need to paint fenders and tank so it wont be that much...or just get it vinyled over if it really bothers you.

As for the color green...I lucked out and bought a Goodwood Green

(Please don't get offended...but seriously...just get a gotdang Bonnie already!!!!)

To give you some perspective...Im an avid rider and only drive 4 wheels when absolutely necessary. I own a Bonneville and a Daytona 675, but also have access to ride a CBR600rr, a Triumph Sprint RS, and a Kawasaki Concourse 1400.

Can you guess which bike I ride the most??? (I'll give you a hint...its the bike you're looking to buy)

Can you guess the bike that gives me the most smiles??? (I'll give you a hint...its the bike you're looking to get)

Last edited:

strokerlmt

Koifarm.....don't want to interfere with this great amusing thread....start a new one on paint schemes.....

PS...Arkwright...I agree with all....get the Bonneville.....enjoy the summer...if its not the correct color in the fall take the fenders and tank off and get them painted.

LMT

Stars&Bars

Two Stroke
You can always go with a classic black one now and just ride hell out of it. Save ya a few bucks too and as far as your wife goes, Tell yer ol lady, "Tough" about the color/colour and to just lean with the bike in the turns.
Allow her to wax your ride and polish knobs later after you get home from your ride!
Stop crying and start buying

dschief

750cc
I know I'm coming into this late, but the only reason I could think of for not buying a Bonneville is if you are looking for a bike that power wheelies on command, and will do 0 to 190 in .5 seconds. If that's what someone wanted, a Bonnie is the wrong bike.

Arkwright

Two Stroke
Now.. Now guys

Let's all just calm down a little. I'm touched that you're all getting frustrated that I haven't bought one yet and yes it is beautiful weather at the moment here in the UK (of course being the UK that could changed as I type and snow could be on it's way)

So here's the latest...

Yesterday I went to look at 2 Bonnie T100's (neither in the right colour scheme, but had already considered the repaint option) both were ideal candidates and I was on the verge of making a decision *Honestly*. Then out of the blue, the salesman said "Don't know whether you're interested bu I've got a Thruxton coming in at the end of the week.

Of course I wasn't interested, I'd made up my mind, all you fine tolerant Bonnie owners on both sides of the pond had convinced me the 'Bonnie' was the way to go, so I told him straight, I said,

"Tell you what mate, I'll leave it for now and give me a ring when the Thruxton comes in"

Oh the trials and tribulations of buying your first bike in 30 years. Nobody told me it was going to be this tough...

phil

Street Tracker
Here's the bottom line mate.....if you do not buy a Bonneville, every man jack on this forum will hunt you down and hurt you! Not only that, your wife will leave, your mother will disown you ,your Father will cut you out of the will, aside from that you will always feel the guilt of non Bonneville ownership, this guilt will render you impotent forever or until you actually own one!
Your house may burn down when you leave on holiday, your dog will die, your cat will turn into a fierce claw and tooth animal that will latch on to your gonads and claw them to shreds.
You will be the laughing stock of your neighborhood and as you ride around in your beater cage they will point and laugh at you, talk about you when you are gone and ignore you totally.
Your local pub will not allow you to drink there anymore, for that matter you will lose your taste for a pint.
I could go on but you get the picture....so...please post pictures of your Bonneville as soon as you are the owner.
We will be watching you!

Well said sir. well said.:rocket:

Pete R

Banned
"Tell you what mate, I'll leave it for now and give me a ring when the Thruxton comes in"

Uh oh.......that's what happened to me!

Salesman told me on a Saturday morn that I could have a red&black T100 for a certain price but his boss over-ruled him and wanted $400 more. The boss said "if it doesn't sell over the weekend you can have it on Monday".

On the Sunday I went to look at a Thruxton...:cool: And then the boss called me on the Monday only to be told "sorry mate!"

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Reasons not to buy a Bonnie:

1. Your wife/gf will start referring to Bonnie as "the other woman."
2. You will enter a world of obsession where you will either be riding or spend your time thinking about riding...that's right, while you are in the middle of an important project, you will space off and think about Bonnie.
3. Wife and friends will be concerned that you have become retarded as you sneek off to the garage just to stand there and look at Bonnie.
4. You will refer to your motorcycle in the first person as I am doing right now where she simply becomes Bonnie.
5. You will have to endure rants and complaining asking why you can't keep the car clean like how you keep Bonnie clean.
6. You will begin calling your bike Bonnie which will only intensify the wife's responses about her.
7. The myth that you have to own the latest and greatest technology will be completely shattered after your first ride as an owner with Bonnie.
8. You will now be helplessly lost and begin to wonder who owns who.
9. If a situation arises where you can't ride, then you will become a prick to be around and 99.99% of all your conversations will somehow work its way back to Bonnie.
and finally #10...
You are a boring, stick in the mud shcmuck that is happy to let life pass by rather than getting off your ass and doing it, when you know you want to.

Other than those reasons, there are no good reasons not to bring Bonnie home and put her in the stable. The Hinckley motors are rock solid, they kept the integrity of the classic Bonnie, and you are already pulled to the Triumph name. Go get yourself one and start sharing the stories with us!!

Arkwright

Two Stroke
Oh how I love the internet...

I'm going to turn this thread into a booklet entitled "Mid life crisis guy needs a Bonnie to help alleviate symptons essential guide"

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Your wallet won't thank you. Neither will the missus most likely, but then when she gets a reprieve from you and has time to herself more, she won't mind as much. . .until you spend that money that was for a vacation on upgrades and new bits for the bike.

KingBear

Hooligan
Uh oh.......that's what happened to me!

Salesman told me on a Saturday morn that I could have a red&black T100 for a certain price but his boss over-ruled him and wanted $400 more. The boss said "if it doesn't sell over the weekend you can have it on Monday".

On the Sunday I went to look at a Thruxton...:cool: And then the boss called me on the Monday only to be told "sorry mate!"
That is what I call bullshit. If a dealer will take a price on Monday, then he can take it now or shove it up his ass. That's just him putting greed ahead of the customer. You might as well tell him you will pay him X for a bike right now, or X minus 15% the first day of Autumn.