Top 10 tools to carry on you

Be aware that AAA (in the US) does not cover motorcycles unless you have expensive supplementary RV coverage. I found this out the hard way, they left me by the side of the Baltimore beltway, when all I needed was some air in my slowly-leaking tire so I could get home.

I have AMA Motow now, haven't had the "opportunity" to try it yet. I also have friend with a commercial van and a good motorcycle ramp.

In above-mentioned case, I was able to convince my lovely neighbor to pack up her baby, get the bicycle pump out of my garage, and bring it to me. God bless her!

Senor Siesta

Scooter
In addition to the already suggested screwdriver, sockets and allens, I added a jump drive with the shop manual, illustrated parts guide, and a couple of random things like fuses, electrical tape, etc. The tow coverage and VISA come in damned handy if you can't fix it or you're stuck in the middle of BFE. ;-)

Texas94fs

Hooligan
crescent combo wrench (like the fold out ones shown- 8-14mm)
Mulit allen key set (again like the fold out shown 3-10mm)
zip ties
Vice grips (have used these as both a hand lever, or shift knob before)
electrical/duct/gorilla tape
knife
needle-nose pliers
few vacuum caps and make sure the spare spots in the fuse box are full
some cash if i need to flag down a pickup or whatever that might have a fuel can and some fuel

Small Jumper Box

Now that the technology makes it possible, DEFINITELY add to your emergency kit one of those small jumper boxes. Antigravity makes one.

Motley

750cc
I don't carry any tools. CAA/AAA for when my bike craps out. Haven't needed it with this Triumph, yet.

ttbonnie

Scooter
appropriate wrenches to take of a wheel,
Co2 cartridge tire patch kit, a center stand helps
and a container that carries ~1/2 gallon of gas or so- saved me more than once on the back roads

marty

Scooter
Agree with carrying gas, I carry a 1 ltr container most of the time, particularly useful in Scotland where gas stations can be few and far between. No amount of tools would fix an empty tank, although I do carry a few bits and bobs just in case.

I would carry a 15/16 open end wrench and a 3/4 in wrench. They are used to adjust the chain when travelling. the chain can be adjusted without removing the silencer or chain gard.

Happy trails to you