Thruxton vs New Norton 961?

UALCapt

moped
Hello all,

First, let me say thank you for allowing me to join this forum! I'm brand new and look forward to gaining insight and advice, and eventually hope to contribute.

I am searching for a Thruxton ... either a new 2013, or a pre-owned (maybe modified) late model.

I read that Norton recently gained US certification for its new (to North America) Commando 961, and is accepting deposits for genuine April/May deliveries. (I'm familiar with the long development delays associated with the new Commando) This bike looks awesome but, at twice the price of a new Thruxton, is it worth it? (It would be a stretch for me to afford the Norton)

I realize that I'm asking for opinions and advice from Triumph guys, and that this may be a somewhat polarizing subject. I have about a week to make a decision.

New Thruxton - with some money left over to modify to my taste?
Or New Norton - and try to come up with an extra $10K?

Thank you all in advance for your opinions and advice! I look forward to participating here.

Mark

The Norton is overpriced. You're paying for exclusivity. They don't make many of them a year and even fewer come to the States.

If you want something that's going to be extremely rare then get the Norton.

The Thruxton is a perfect motorcycle. There's arguably nothing wrong with it. It does everything very well. It is still fairly uncommon to see one out on the roads, so the exclusivity thing still applies, but to a lesser degree.

If I'm throwing out advice I would suggest buying a used bike as you will save a lot of money, but that's your decision.

I love the Norton, but also worry about reliability and accessibility if something goes wrong. The Triumph is proven to be bulletproof.

sanjuro

Two Stroke
There have also been rumors of the new Norton not being very honest/reliable with customers. Stories of people paying full price deposits and waiting well over a year for a product that is never delivered. Do your research, buyer beware.

Chris in NC

Street Tracker
Mark, Good question. My son and I put deposits on 2 new 961 SEs in October '09. Two-plus years later we asked for, and were damned lucky to get our deposits back. Absolutely no communication from Norton, even after numerous emails asking for the status of the bikes, which were promised to be delivered in the Spring of '10, then Sept '10, then the Spring of '11, and so forth. Do you see a trend developing here? It's now January '13 and the bikes still aren't here.

Meanwhile we bought two new Triumphs (I bought a leftover '10 1050 Tiger, he bought a new '12 800 Tiger and a very nice used custom Thruxton from a member of this esteemed group). For what we would have paid for 1 new Norton, we could have purchased both of our new Triumphs.

That's not to say the new Norton isn't a nice looking bike. I saw a cafe version last year in Charlotte at the IMS. It was sweet.. but I'm not sure it was $18K sweet.

If you have time, you might spend a few minutes scanning some of the comments in this UK oriented consumer forum. They're telling ...

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?313658-Norton-motorcycles-warning

Caveat Emptor ...

My money says buy a Thruxton, then put a few dollars in it to make it 'yours', then go ride the pants off it.

UALCapt

moped
Thank you for your replies and sage advice! This morning, I placed a deposit on a 2013 Norton 961 Sport through an established and reputable New Jersey dealer. I ensured that the documentation protects my interests with a fully refundable deposit should I, the buyer, elect for any reason not to take delivery of the bike within a reasonable delivery date in the second quarter of calendar year 2013. I feel that this is a good course of action that protects my interest in the Norton while allowing me the freedom to change my mind should a great Triumph project come available. We'll see!

Skeeter

Rocker
plus there is a HUGE after market for the triumphs and oem parts are easy to come buy. with the norton i dont think youll be able to buy an oil filter off the shelve of walmart like you can do for the triumph.
id love t have a new norton but....

(and yes my walmart sells a black FRAM oil filter and my local oreilys had wix filters)

Cereal KLR

Two Stroke
Norton was pitted next to us at Bonneville in 2010 and they set a record for pushrod motor that year. It seemed to hold together just fine. Other than that have never seen one on the street.

Attachments

• bonneville 2010 014.jpg
    bonneville 2010 014.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 1
  • bonneville 2010 013.jpg
    bonneville 2010 013.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 1

UALCapt

moped
I have to smile, because my wife said the same thing about asking for advice. I guess I was predisposed to the Norton all along. I had to pull the trigger yesterday because the window closed on the first deliveries at the introductory prices. I don't think it was a poor decision - just a forced one that still keeps my options open. Thanks again guys.

strokerlmt

I have to smile, because my wife said the same thing about asking for advice. I guess I was predisposed to the Norton all along. I had to pull the trigger yesterday because the window closed on the first deliveries at the introductory prices. I don't think it was a poor decision - just a forced one that still keeps my options open. Thanks again guys.

Good luck enjoy
LMT

In the end you have to make your own mind up, I have been riding over 30 years and had many many bikes. i currently have a blade and a pan and my Thruxton with those TORS is simply just one of the most delightful machines i have ever owned. It is brilliant value for money and i am so Happy that triumph made it's comeback to produce such a bike.

The Norton is nice and it sounds really good but personally I would save the cash and still have something very special in your garage for half the price:D

JimmyR

Street Tracker
For me the choice was easy because I couldn't afford the Norton even if it was available where I live. Plus for me a lot of the point of owning a bike is not just to ride but to make it my own, and the Bonneville I have is really easy to make my own. I get loads of people thinking it's either an original old Trumpy or a Thruxton - even the local dealer thought it was a Thruxton. I don't think it would be as easy to modify a new Norton. The bike pictured on the first page of this thread didn't really look very "Nortonesque" - it looked kinda generic sportsbike.

I hope it goes well for you and you get what you want. That's all that matters!

jhillier71

Street Tracker
make sure to get a Norton t-shirt to go with your bike. Maybe they'll throw it in for free....my tri dealer did. :boob::boob:

Kirkus51

Hooligan
When you go to the dealer to get your deposit back because there's yet again another delay on delivering the Norton, plunk the money down on a Thrux.

I wouldn't personally miss a riding season waiting for a bike to be delivered, but I only have one bike and have no idea if you have one already available to ride.

By the way there's a few ways to get some better bang out of a Bonneville engine, like a 904 kit and if you want to get crazy you can stroke that to a 988. 38mm Keihens (sp) and you're good to go and..... voila! you've also spent close to a new Norton's price to boot.

drlapo

Hooligan
get the Norton

I have a Thruxton and its a great bike, I'll keep it for a very long time
but the NORTON!

it's a bargain compared to a blinged out HD

Last edited:

cashman

moped
get the Norton

I have a Thruxton and its a great bike, I'll keep it for a very long time
but the NORTON!

it's a bargain compared to a blinged out HD

I sort of agree. I LOVE my thruxton but if I had the opportunity to own one of these new Commandos, I would take it. Personally, I do not believe they will survive as a company or ever deliver even a fraction of the bikes they've accepted "deposits" for but, assuming it was possible, I might give up the thrux to get one. If you tell my bike I said that, however, I will deny it 'till death.:)