Need some guitar advice

Kframe

Street Tracker
I'm thinking of getting an acoustic guitar. I currently have a Stratocaster (5-7 yrs old, natural finish, 98% condition, Fender but made in Mex.) and a few effects pedals, as well as a 25w Fender amp.

When I first wanted to get into guitars I thought electric was what I wanted so that's how I set myself up.

Now, several years later, I've actually started practicing everyday and I'm finding that I like playing regular old classical and folky stuff and realistically I'm not going to be a rock star and with a kid on the way all my accessories are taking up too much space.

So, I'm thinking of trying to trade in all my stuff and get a decent acoustic.

My questions: Is it reasonable to think I could get a decent guitar for what I have? What is a decent starter acoustic?

The pedals I have are a
Jimmy Hendrix Wah,
Boss BD-2 Blues Driver,
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone,
Zakk Wylde Overdrive,
a Danelectro Fish n Chips equalizer
and a Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner.

Any advice is welcome. The only acoustic I've practiced with is my brother's cheapo Norma acoustic that won't stay in tune and the strings are a mile off the fretboard so it's hell on the fingertips.
Thanks!
:)
-K

Oil Burner

Scooter
Martins and Taylors are nice, but will likely never be in my budget. I don't currently own an acoustic, but have wrapped my mitts around a few here and there. I used to have a Washburn that was pretty nice, but I really liked a Seagull guitar that my friend has. Really nice tone, and the neck and body just feel right to me; real natural. Unless something else intrigues me more by then, my next acoustic will be a Seagull.

Head down to your local music store and try some guitars out! That's the only way to really find the right one for you.

:kiss:

D9

Vendor
K...from what I've found... you have to find a decent shop and sit down and play a bunch of different ones... no two alike...I did that recently, drawn to the Taylors, not impressed with the Martins but I'm a percussive strummer not a picker, I'm looking for clarity and
down and out non-electrified volume... did not buy that day though, still have two Guild acoustics, one is the awesome F212XL (12-string) the other
is a D4 NT, not as good as the 12, just so so... both are over a quarter century old and american made... keeping 'em. My 12 is same as this but
with a neato dark brown>amber sunburst finish, kinda rare
1984-Guild-F-212-XL-12-String.JPG

Last edited:
My advice would be to keep what you've got and add to the collection, rather than trading it all in. I've always liked Taylor and Guild, but it's been a long time since I've strummed on any.

I have a Gibson Les Paul, a Jap Strat, a nice Ibanez Soundgear Bass, and a crappy 1/2 scale 6 string acoustic that's lots of fun to play. I don't have a nice acoustic, but I'd like one. Also, I've been thinking a lot about a banjo lately, although I know nothing about playing them. I haven't really touched any of my guitars much in the last 3-4 years.

koifarm

Hooligan
Can't go wrong with a Guild for sure, but as stated above, head to a guitar shop and try em out, you'll find one that you just feel right about.....get it, keep your other ones...

panick

moped
Unless you are truely stapped for cash I am with Sweatmachine, store your electric gear away. You will want it someday trust me!

An acoustic guitar is great to have and I love that you can play it anywhere.

Seagull makes great guitars for the money as mentioned. I am a fan !
These are set up nicely, play easy and sound very nice. Read up on them and if possible try one out. There are plenty of guitars out there but for the money Seagull gets my vote.

I have two guitars that I've had for many years. A Martin OM18V & and Gibson J50. Neither is cheap or really a beginner guitar. My Martin is for sale since I don't play as often as I use to.

cheers
John

Savantjk

Street Tracker
If you want to break into it and stay easy on the bank, I have a Taylor 110 that I will let go cheap. My 1964 Gibson B25 has stolen my heart and the Taylor just doesn't see any action. Some blemishes to the surface, but nothing affecting tone. Pm me for more details and with an email for pics.

Kirkus,

I once saw a classic les paul for $500 at a small town pawn shop. Ratty condition, but still.. I would have loved to have it. Went back once I had the cash and it was gone. Never seen a good deal at a pawn shop since. All kinds of department store crap with a jacked up price. Now if you can find a second-hand music shop, that's another story. Our just closed down unfortunately.. I was just about to buy another amp to accompany the twin reverb and replace the marshall 100 watt tube head I just sold. 1970s silvertone amp. Housing built of cardboard and vinyl.. but man.. they sound so raunchy. Jack White of the White Stripes / Raconteurs / whatever projects he has going now uses one.

Last edited:

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
I know its a little oddball but I just bought an Ovation roundback electric acoustic. Love it and it was not very expensive, a couple hundred bucks. Seems to have more volume than other acoustics too. Very nice sound and a bit more comfortable against the body.

Bullitt

Two Stroke
I got a family full of musicians and we have Martin, Gibsons and Taylors. My personal favorite is Taylor for acoustic. Their Big Baby is a great value and a great guitar starting around $450.

I'm not saying you need to spend that much money to get a guitar you'll like and enjoy playing. A few years back I went down to my local music shop and bought a $99 "Johnson" acoustic as my beater travel guitar. Put on some Martin strings and it sounds great. I still play that one quite a bit.

Don't forget craigslist too. Tons of people trading in their gear for something else. You can really find some bargains. Good luck!

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
You really need to go to a store where they have a ton of guitars and just sit down and start playing . After a couple hours you will find one that you like. Thats how I buy guitars.

jhillier71

Street Tracker
You really need to go to a store where they have a ton of guitars and just sit down and start playing . After a couple hours you will find one that you like. Thats how I buy guitars.

+1

I did at least three trips per guitar for my last 2 guitars, a Taylor 410CE and an Epiphone Flying V...and never sell a guitar...just keep adding!

I also have a Norman acoustic, which is in the same family as Godin and Seagull.

kinky stunt

Street Tracker
What is a decent starter acoustic?
Seagull, Takamine, and Yamaha make decent guitars that are easy to play and won't break the bank. One of the nicest sounding mid-level guitars I've ever played is an Alvarez-Yairi dreadnaught. Clear and well balanced. Not too boomy like the Martin or Taylor dreads tend to be and several hundred dollars cheaper. If you can find a used one, get it. If you get a starter, you'll notice what it's missing.
Oh, and keep your Strat. :kiss:

Kframe

Street Tracker
Yeah, I'd love to keep the Strat, I mean, I keep nearly everything, which is part of the problem. Townhouse living is the deal right now, and space is at a premium.
With the baby on the way the room I've used as my office/archive is being converted to a nursery.

That's why I'm thinking of trading, I could get rid of the amp, the pedal board and Strat and get an acoustic that takes up less room.

I will definitely go to some local stores and hack on some gits for awhile, but I needed some direction to start looking.
Those Seagull's could be nice, the reviews look good. Also considering a Gretsch G100 (but not the E or CE versions).

Thanks for the ideas so far, -K

Two Stroke
I'd definitly look for a used Seagull S-6 model.
If you have a guitar center you can visit get the S-6 down and compare it to anything. It sounds fantastic and is easy to play because it is a 3/4 scale neck. The S-6 should run around 380.00 new and to find anything that plays and sounds better than the S-6 will cost several hundred more. I have not played the Big Baby Taylor so as one poster mentioned it may be better at 100.00 more than the gull. Epiphone Masterbuilts are good entry level guitars to.
Search Craigs list for the used S-6 in good condition and don't look back.

Tomintoul

Two Stroke
I know its a little oddball but I just bought an Ovation roundback electric acoustic. Love it and it was not very expensive, a couple hundred bucks. Seems to have more volume than other acoustics too. Very nice sound and a bit more comfortable against the body.

I've got an Ovation roundback, too (CC057). Very nice starter jobbie, nice sound, and not expensive. I've also got a Crafter D8 12-string that has a suprisingly nice tone.