Thinking about a new thruxton need advice

Bulldog

moped
Guys love the thruxton sexy as hell.but not very tall 5'7 and seem a lil tall plus the forward feel was heavy on the hands ...Love the bike just thinking I would be uncomfortable long distance and riding two up also.advice welcome

Bonafide

NBR founder
The Thurxton is not a tall bike by any measure. Climb on a big dual sport like a Tiger or BMW 1200. What do you consider long distance? Feels heavy? Did you actually ride a Thruxton or just sit on it in a showroom?

Bulldog

moped
Rode a short distance,less than a mile due to area with dealer.my feet at stop are on the balls I'm not flat footed unless I tip to one side.also the shifter lever seemed small for my boot just a little.Also felt heavy with my weight going slow on the stop.Used to sitting up so was different feel.just wondering how it would be say a few hours into and out of small towns with multiple lights and some highway with two up.

Hello Bulldog,

I agree with theartic sea, I'm 5'6", there are no issues with riding a stock Thruxton, practically flat foot it around.

I have a Scrambler that I need to move aound with my toes.

Reg,

BB

henrys

Street Tracker
The best thing about these bikes is how easy they are to customize to your liking. Don't like the riding position? Change the bars. Don't like the height? Change the shocks. It's taken me a few years but I've dialed in my bike to exactly what I want it to be.

2Monkeys

Street Tracker
If you want a bike shorter than the thruxton look at the Bonneville SE. BTW welcome to the forum.

qwenzel

Two Stroke
The heavy on the hands is only when your going slow....simple solution don't go slow.....

Don't worry about the height. You are almost the perfect size for a Triumph Twin. Since most are made to the ergo's of a 5' 9'' person.

As was said get lower shocks, shorter seat and move the forks up in the triple trees by the same amount that your rear shocks are shorter than stock. Then you have to also shorten the side stand.

You can't beat one of these twins. Go for it, you won't be sorry.

2 weeks after I totaled my 05 T100 I went and bought a 08 T100, I still couldn't walk right, but now she's mine.

Bulldog

moped
thanks guys I was worried as test rides were limited to short distance,I was on my toes I just love the looks of the bike awesome ......I will check out some of the options mentioned.just waned to ride it longer to see if I would change my mind.

jhillier71

Street Tracker
best to go to a H-D site in order to get advice to NOT get a Trumpet.

I'm 5'8"ish ( like to pretend I'm 5-9) and ride a thruxton. No problems here and I've done a few long rides over the last 2 years. I changed out the bar to a clubman for about 2 weeks but went back to the stock m. The clubman was a wrist killer....

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Its hard to get an appreciation of any bike. You need time.

The worst thing about it in my opinion is the stock rear shocks.

The best thing is the retro feel and look. Nice torque, even better handling. Good character. Good at everything really, best at none. Very easy to ride well. There are a lot of intangibles that you need time to appreciate. But there are few who don't fall in love with them. After 18,000 miles mine still gives me a huge grin.

drlapo

Hooligan
I'm 5'7" and 63 years old
I ride an 05 Thruxton with clip on bars
I had a Sportser: too slow and heavy
no mods needed to the Thruxton but mods are fun

I too am am converting from street bikes to the classic style. Gettinga new thruxton ASAP, can't wait. I'm tired of the whole crotch rocket deal. Time to pilot a bike with some class!

RumRunner

Street Tracker
Guys love the thruxton sexy as hell.but not very tall 5'7 and seem a lil tall plus the forward feel was heavy on the hands ...Love the bike just thinking I would be uncomfortable long distance and riding two up also.advice welcome

Welcome to the forum!
- Yes the Thruxton is Sexy as hell (well at least my girl is ;) )

- If the height is truly an issue the bike is really easy to modify and lower. You'll want to put on better shocks eventually anyhow, so you can do with Bonnie Shocks (which are about 1" shorter) and then lower the front end.

- As far as heavy on your wrists, you'll get used to that and doing a few situps will help out too...

- Now 2up... This really isn't the best bike for long distance 2up riding. The seat isn't the best for the pillion, and the passenger pegs will put her feet on top of yours. Then throw in the suspension and what not... For short blasts yes but other than that no.

- The Thruxton is going to be more suited to twisties and canyon carving than cruising from town to town. I can ride my bike all day 300 + miles a day no problem, but after about 40 miles of it's not as much room. Keep in mind you're only going to get about 125 to 150 miles out of a tank so you're going be getting off the bike every 100 miles or so anyhow.