The Starter Motor that wouldn't Start

Hedge

American Infidel
Nobody ever has to worry about jacking any of my threads; mainly because I don't care, but secondly because guys like us with abstract thinking usually get another idea while we are working inside of an original problem! That's what's so cool about participating in these discussions! :)

....you sure you didn't hit the kill switch?

;)

Well, I just got back from Hedge's house. Was prepared for the worst:
Hayne's and Triumph manuals, digital vom, test light, etc..
12.4 volts at the battery, turned key to on position, had bright
head light, but no nuetral or oil lights, and no response from the
starter button.

Turned the kill switch to the run position, and she fired right up!

I couldn't bust his balls 'cause I did the same thing once on the
Bridgeport to Port Jeff Ferryboat.

Yes, he was filled with shame!
Uncle Charlie

RonD

Scooter

So this morning I pushed her outside and flipped the petcock, turned on the key, and pushed the starter button and she came right on.

This is the part of the post that made me eliminate kill switch!!!

Hedge

American Infidel
Hmmm...I think I'd probe the safety switch on the side stand, kill switch, neutral switch, etc.

yep what david said

....you sure you didn't hit the kill switch?

;)

Yep - I was in a hurry and probably bumped it with my knuckle gloves. I always leave that switch on and only use the key to turn the bike on and off so it has been so long since I've used that switch that I forgot completely about it. Dam I felt stupid when Charlie fired her right up!

OK fellas - case closed! There's nothing to see here now move along! :pick:

OK fellas - case closed! There's nothing to see here now move along! :pick:

Not so fast there Hedge,
I gotta bone to pick with you.
Since you touched my laptop,
I can't get on AOL!!!!!!!!!
Yeah, I'm computer stupid,
But, I can start my bike!

One of those tix better hit!
Uncle Charlie

koifarm

Hooligan
Not a problem Hedge, you are excused, seems like you've had a lot on your mind lately....what with the work thing, and the mistake is a good example of how pressure can cause you to make simple mistakes...Have a cold beer, take it easy and go for a nice long ride.....relax your mind....now repeat after me......I am okay...I am a special snowflake, unique, valuable and will not melt under pressure.....
koifarm

Hedge

American Infidel
Thx Bill - I'm gonna take the pass on this one!
Charlie - I gooned up your laptop on purpose so you would have to come over my house tomorrow so i can un-goon it and you can help me do some work! :)

Seriously - you probably had your Internet Explorer pointing to your AOL Page. Yes people, he still pays AOL for service even though he has a cable modem. Hell, I'll take the $12+/- a month and yell "You got Mail" to him! :D

Go to Start/Programs/ AOL and click on the program and it should launch. If it don't work - call me tomorrow morning and I'll fix it!

Way to go!

Well done Hedge! Nice to see you around every now and again. Kill switch huh. Really? Nice one. And to think I got some of the best tech advice ever...FROM YOU!!!!!!

Be well Bro.

Cheers,

SK

Jeez Hedge. I'm impressed with your commitment to owning up to your mistakes. You really walk the walk.
But the kill switch! It'll be a long time before this one gets forgotten.

"I gooned up your laptop on purpose so you would have to come over my house tomorrow so i can un-goon it and you can help me do some work"

Oh yeah,
I still gotta adjust your chain.

When I was a kid i had an xr100 and my friend had an older honda dirtbike, I don't remember what size. He got it for free from his neighbor b/c the kickstarter had broken off and it leaked oil out of the kickstarter hole. Being about 10-12 years old, our solution was a cork from a wine bottle and some duct tape and it worked! Anyway, we had to pushstart it every time we wanted to ride. Once it just wouldn't start! I swear I pushed the fucker a mile! Then my buddy goes, "oops, guess this needs to be on 'run"

bastard!

Reminds me of the time--many years ago--I was so drunk coming out of the bar that I couldn't start the bike--had bumped the kill switch--dropped it a couple times, finally got a taxi home. Kill switch probably saved my life, no kidding.

Hedge

American Infidel
Well . . . Just think, if I was really busy this weekend and Good Ole' UncleCharlie didn't come over, I might of taken all the way to New Haven and dropped it off and told them to call me when they figure it out! They love ya at Greenwich Mercedes & Darien BMW when you drop your cars off blindly! "Ahh, yeah we replaced the cauliflower jammer and the FaGawi switch and it works like a charm now!"

$750 should do it! :stupid:

Well . . . Just think, if I was really busy this weekend and Good Ole' UncleCharlie didn't come over, I might of taken all the way to New Haven and dropped it off and told them to call me when they figure it out! They love ya at Greenwich Mercedes & Darien BMW when you drop your cars off blindly! "Ahh, yeah we replaced the cauliflower jammer and the FaGawi switch and it works like a charm now!"

$750 should do it! :stupid:

:wave: Thanks for cummin....Cha Ching!!!

Never Mind Hedge, I worked at a tyre and suspension shop here in Aus for ages...This poor bloke had pushed his old Suzuki GS850 shafty all the way from Civic to Braddon...about a kilometer maybe, but slightly up hill all the way...I'm in the shop, this bloke staggers in puffin and panting in a suit (Public Servant) and says can ya have a look at my bike mate...it was fine this morning...walks out, turns the key...gets dash lights, hits the starter, and she's cranking merrily (As older suzis did) but no fire. I've casually looked across and gone flick with the kill switch to the run posi and bang!!!...up she come....just turned to the bloke and said, theres ya problem mate....and I walked inside. Couldnt bear to poke fun at him, he was already fuckin shagged from the push...poor bastard!!!...So there ya go my friend, it could have been much worse!!!

Now buy Uncle C a beer while he does your chain and you fix his portable PC thingy!!

Cheers mate,

Bret....:wave:

RonD

Scooter
If you shot everyone that accidently left his kill switch on ,there would not be many of us alive .your mistake was telling the truth and you should know thats not a good idea..

bonZa

Street Tracker
Hedge, I think all of us have been caught out with the kill switch at some stage.

usually after cranking for a while in front of an audience and wondering "why the hell wont it start". look around the bike from side to side checking side stand, gear is in neutral, choke in choke out, try and look like you know what you are doing, gosh! kill switch is flicked over, discretely flick it back to run, starts up, whew..

is more embarrassing if you only have a kick start, as happened to me trying to start an 850 Norton. about 20 kicks later sheepishly flicked the switch....