Steering Stabilizer

ray694

Scooter
Read several articles on Head Shake / Tank Slap and it doesn't look like fun (Youtube).

A preventative measure for this was a steering stabilizer......

My question is has / does anyone on here use one...?

D9

Vendor
I have the Norman Hyde damper on my T100... has held up well on street and track.
I'd say it adds a subtle feel of additional stability in certain situations... never had a tank slapper with or without
a damper though

Last edited:

strokerlmt

I have one as well. I have never had a speed wobble or front end shake. I do reach down and crank it up if I am going to break 100mph. It certainly feels like the front is more stiff and solid. Remember to crank it down so when you move the bike around in the garage you can turn :)
LMT

ray694

Scooter
Thanks for the replys. I talked to some friends who have been riding a while, and they said that head shake /tank slap happens very rarely on the street, but mostly on a track at higher speeds. They made it sound like I had a better chance of lightning striking me than having this happen. Being a new rider, I take advice about these matters at face value, so am I being too cautious...? I just didn't want to end up with one of those "awe crap" moments at 70 mph....

qwenzel

Two Stroke
I don't have a stabilizer on my bike. Nor did I have one on my other T100. Only felt the need for one, once in 10 yrs. That need was caused by a bad stretch of road, not speed.

Texas94fs

Hooligan
If you are really gonna be coming out of corners hot, then it may make sense. Otherwise, it's really not necessary, to get that headshake you pretty much have to be breaking all traffic laws

ray694

Scooter
Guys, thanks again for your input, I value your opinions....

With that being said, I believe I will hold off on getting one for now and see how things go.....

Thanks again
Ray

I bought a Bonneville this week,when it gets to about 95mph it becomes very very unstable,scary,although it is fitted with a triumph windshield which may be the cause

ray694

Scooter
I bought a Bonneville this week,when it gets to about 95mph it becomes very very unstable,scary,although it is fitted with a triumph windshield which may be the cause

I spoke to the head tech where I bought my bike, about a similar problem I had with feeling a little unstable at higher speeds, and he said that the two-piece frames on the Bonneville made them a little shaky at speeds around 70 or higher.....

Motley

750cc
I spoke to the head tech where I bought my bike, about a similar problem I had with feeling a little unstable at higher speeds, and he said that the two-piece frames on the Bonneville made them a little shaky at speeds around 70 or higher.....

I wouldn't believe that for a second! I would suggest a windshield may be the cause, or your tires. Possibly even the jacket you wear.

I have the Norman Hyde steering damper on my Thruxton, and I've found it does make a noticeable difference.

Last edited:

ray694

Scooter
I wouldn't believe that for a second! I would suggest a windshield may be the cause, or your tires. Possibly even the jacket you wear.

I have the Norman Hyde steering damper on my Thruxton, and I've found it does make a noticeable difference.

...more than likely it is the windshield, or possibly the tires.....but I do know my 2014 T100 with no windshield and new tires does get a little squirrely over 75-80...which lead to me questioning the head tech at my dealership...
which base on personal experience and expert feedback validates the possibility....at least for me.

I've never felt any shake or anything unstable with sustained speeds of 70+, but when getting on the throttle and quickly accelerating, there are times that I've felt the front end get light. I once felt a front end wobble on my T100 when hitting the throttle to pass a car. But again, when already up to speed and the speeds are sustained, I've never had an issue.

ray694

Scooter
The "front end feeling light" were my exact words I used to describe what I was feeling at that time. And it was at a time of acceleration.... It made me a little nervous, so I backed off, which started me inquiring about steering stabilizers... I guess this feeling is inherent to this model...?

Motley

750cc
I know the Thruxton can feel a little vague on the front at times. That's why I went with the steering damper, and the Ricor intiminators, although I don't think the intiminators helped that much.

strokerlmt

I think the "head" tech is smoking something. I have never heard anyone talk about "2 piece frame" being shaky. My 2 piece frame takes me from 70-100mph smooth as can be. In fact I did it twice on Sunday. I have progressive springs in the front and Work's rear shocks. IMHO 2 piece frame has nothing to do with the issue. (unless the frame bolts are loose):cheers:
LMT

drlapo

Hooligan
The "front end feeling light" were my exact words I used to describe what I was feeling at that time. And it was at a time of acceleration.... It made me a little nervous, so I backed off, which started me inquiring about steering stabilizers... I guess this feeling is inherent to this model...?

my 05 Thruxton has never felt "light" just put some weight on the front end when stuffing it into a turn

retrorider

Scooter
A bike's tendency to produce a tank slapper is directly related to the steepness of the steering head angle and is inversely related to the steering trail. Sport bikes, which have more vertical steering angles, are more likely to produce this effect (that, and the fact that sport riders like to do wheelies, which sometimes induce steering wobble on landing), which is why they usually have integrated steering dampers. Bonnies are less likely to have this problem because they have larger steering angles and longer trail. Nonetheless, I installed a steering damper on my Bonnie. I think of it as life insurance.

Skeeter

Rocker
i have the DCC stablizer on my thrux.
reason i wanted it is, because here in az we have "tar snakes" on the road and it can pucker you up sometimes. made a huuge differance