Home Protection...what do you use?

Here are my vicious hell hounds:

165264_1497104748938_1273707195_1150448_7107696_n.jpg

Oh man...Airedales!! Personality with curls! Great dogs indeed!

Thanks! They're awesome dogs. Jerome, the one I'm holding, is now 2.5 years old and almost 80 lbs. Pepper, the real lookout/watch dog (with the pink collar) is almost 10 years old now. She is the business end of things, he is my right hand man. She means business, he wants to play. For reference, I'm 6' and about 275#. Jerome looks small with me holding him, but he's a big boy.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
My male, Zak, is 85 pounds and is the one curled up on the couch like a cat above my son. My wife found him dumpster diving on the city streets when he was about two years old. We brought him in and he had a testacle kicked up inside him and had wood shivers inbedded into his hip. The vet said that he was convinced that Zak was caught up in the dog fighting ring and was able to get away somehow. Zak has been nothing but a gentle killer since that day too...I would never think twice about him being with my son. I honestly think that he realizes what we did for him and his loyalty to us is as solid as a boulder. Dogs are freaking awesome...if I was half as good as my dogs, then I would be a freaking saint!

Yep. Dogs man, dogs. Good on you guys for what you've done for Zak. I "rescued" Pepper from my Ex-girlfriend. She didn't really mistreat her, she just didn't spend any time with her. When we split up after 5 years together, I told her "I'm taking the dogs" and she didn't even put up a fight. I'm so thankful to have them. Jerome is mine, outright, but Pep has been hers since she was a pup. I've known Pep since she was 3 years old. She is a really, really great dog. Very well behaved and always alert. Jerome, well, he tears shit up, but he's my boy.

Last edited:

koifarm

Hooligan
Hmm, interestingly enough the gun forum has turned into a dawg forum, just another great example of how fluid the membership is, it's a good thing now, don't get me wrong, I'm still reeling from Dude's Suzuki/women posts....

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Hmm, interestingly enough the gun forum has turned into a dawg forum, just another great example of how fluid the membership is, it's a good thing now, don't get me wrong, I'm still reeling from Dude's Suzuki/women posts....

Actually the title was home protection and dogs fall into suit with that quite well. I know that I have a good sense of security knowing my pups are home with my wife and boys when I have to deploy. It might be a false sense...who knows...but I still have it.

Those were Suzukis that were posted up before? :D

Paddyboy30

Two Stroke
The dogs are great threat alarms, no doubt! I'd hate putting mine in harms way though...too important as a member of my family (I know, I'm a softie!)

Home defense guns in order of which ones I grab:
Cell phone, Dan Wesson Valor 1911 right next to a Surefire flashlight until I can get to the...
...LWRC M6A2 (like an M4 only semi auto) with a light attached or possibly, but less likely my Remington 870 12 gauge.

I really like a handy rifle, and the lighter high velocity rounds (in theory) don't penetrate the walls as easily as slow heavy ones like my .45 and 12 gauge rounds.

Also, if Mr. Homeinvader sees me there ordering him to stop and stay where I can see him with my 30 round 5.56 launcher pointed at him, he's liable to stop and poop his pants. (disclaimer: if you're going to be wielding any weapon in the house or other confined space, please seek professional training on close quarters tactics...they can save your life, and those of your family)

Kirkus51

Hooligan
Any 3 or 4 cell mag-lite is a pretty good club if need be, almost as good as a bat.

Tang. My family had boxers when we were kids. Chips was one that if we did anything wrong and Dad was looking to give us a spanking we'd real quick run between the garage and the fence with Chips between us and the angry man. Dad couldn't get to us till he cooled down. Chips got us out of a lot of spankings.

Another boxer Duke was a real marshmallow with everybody...... unless you wore a hat.

Last edited:

Kframe

Street Tracker
Any 3 or 4 cell mag-lite is a pretty good club if need be, almost as good as a bat.

Tang. My family had boxers when we were kids. Chips was one that if we did anything wrong and Dad was looking to give us a spanking we'd real quick run between the garage and the fence with Chips between us and the angry man. Dad couldn't get to us till he cooled down. Chips got us out of a lot of spankings.

Another boxer Duke was a real marshmallow with everybody...... unless you wore a hat.

That's funny about quirky dogs. My Dad had told me stories about the dog at his grandparents farm: It wouldn't make a sound when people showed up, but if it saw you leave it raised hell and would even become aggressive until the owner got involved.

Well, one time his grandparents returned from church and found that their home had been burgled (burglared?) and upon further inspection, found that the thieves had arrived, locked the dog in the barn, and robbed the place. Dog didn't see them leave, so it never put up a fuss. :d Doh!

Kirkus51

Hooligan
I think all dogs have some kind of quirk. My Papillon get nervous when I chew gum. My Maltomutt gets down from the bed if I lay wrong way on it, which I do when I watch TV.

ivar

TT Racer
found this on the interwebz:

REDNECK HOME SECURITY SYSTEM:
1. Buy a pair of size 14-16 work boots.
2. Put them on front porch with a copy of Guns & Ammo.
3. Put some giant dog dishes next to boots & magazines.
4. Leave note on your door: "Bubba: Me & Bertha went for more ammo & beer. Back soon. Don't mess with the pit bulls; they messed the mailman up bad this morning. I don't think Killer took part; hard to tell from all the blood. I locked all four of 'em in the house. Better wait outside. Be right back.