Spring Startup: Running a bit rough, why?

Kframe

Street Tracker
Dug the 07 Bonneville out of the garage on Monday (before we got another 8" of snow on MAY FRICKIN 2nd).

Started, died, started, died, started, died, started, idling a little rough.
Let 'er warm up a bit and then when for a little spin, it tried to die a few times when taking off from stops.

Also, I have an Innovate WB A/F sensor and gauge installed, at idle it was leaning out terribly, like in the 17's occassionally higher and would then cough and die.
Same thing when accelerating from stops but more like the 16's.
I was able to richen things up a bit by turning out the screws 1/4 turn.

At cruise 1/8 throttle (just rolling down city streets at 35-40mph) I was seeing 15-16.5 on the gauge; when accelerating at 1/4-1/3 throttle the A/F was about 14. Heavy acceleration the needle would pop to 16 and there'd be hesitation but as the throttle became more open, approaching WOT the AF was right in the 13-14 range.

Everything ran well last fall, I did forget to drain the bowls though. I use non-oxy gas in it always.

Let me know if I'm on the right track with my thinking.
I think that the pilot jet may be a little clogged from rotting gas since it's so lean at idle and just off idle. The larger main jet seems to be unobstructed since the AF is okay approaching WOT.

I'm never thrilled about pulling the carbs off the bike, so for now I just poured in some SeaFoam and went for a 40 mile ride. No noticeable improvement yet, but maybe it'll take a tankful or two?

Any other thoughts?
:ride:
-K

whyme

TT Racer
sounds like mine after sitting for a few months. I did much of the same but sent it in for a carb cleaning when i gave up....not back yet, but the dealer said they clean carbs all the time now.
I'll let you know what they say.... it should be back on Saturday.

I also tried the CDI swap and that was not it.

Kframe

Street Tracker
Thanks, yeah let me know if that fixed it.
If after two tanks with treated gas it is still rough and lean I'll pull the carbs and blast out the passages with compressed air and floss the jets.

Kframe

Street Tracker
I'll let you know....I was just too lazy to take the carbs off myself...

If you take your time it's not a knucklebuster, just tedious and time consuming.

The VT700c Honda, on the other hand, is a total bitch. Twin carbs wedged in between the 45° engine V. Very tight and almost as bad as taking a rack of 4 off a CB550.
Now that will make the Pope curse.
:rocket:

Kframe

Street Tracker
the vacuum caps, between the carb and the head, on the manifold, are cracked or missing

Good thought, I took a look and they are cracked.
I don't know if they're leaking but to be safe I just bought 4 new caps and see if that helps.
Thanks for the tip.

whyme

TT Racer
got my bike back today...all they did was clean out the carbs and flush the tank...seems ok now. They said the ethenol gas is causing a lot of problems and you really have to start the bike often and use a additive.,,, that was an expensive lesson.