Sports Cars?

Definite muscle car. Pontiac is dead - lost to the economy. GM kept the G8 platform and have tweaked it a bit. The new Chevy Caprice (Police Package) coming out next year will be that car in a 4 door. Scary, huh? :headbang2:

"Define muscle car". I figure that's in the eye of the driver, for me they have eight big cylinders and go much better than I can drive :).
I'm obviously out of touch out with the Pontiac situation but when the economy normalizes I figure GM can re badge / bring the brand back as long as the didn't actually sell it.

Gretsch

Rocker
I don't get the direction that Chevy has taken with the Corvette. I think the 67 Stingray is one of the best looking cars ever produced. The modern ones do nothing for me as far as looks.

henrys

Street Tracker
Then to be honest the C6 is the best bang for the buck true sports car. As much as i loathe them.

Or maybe the C5 because you can pick them up pretty cheap now... The GM LS based engine is (IMHO) the best V8 design ever. It's light, compact, easy to work on and has an endless supply of performance parts.

I really wish GM would bring the holden commodore back (was badged as Pontiac G8 GT). However its desperately needs a 6 speed.

Bonafide

NBR founder
I really wish GM would bring the holden commodore back (was badged as Pontiac G8 GT). However its desperately needs a 6 speed.

As noted, GM kept the G8 platform. Rumormill is they are going to market it to the US public. Here's their new Caprice (Police Pkg) that's based on the Holden VE Ute. Under the hood, GM says the Caprice will have a 6.0-liter LS2 V8 engine rated at an estimated 355 HP and 384 lb-ft of torque mated to a six-speed auto transmission.

http://www.0-60mag.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/16337016.jpg

As for a true sports car ... dont give me the 'eye of the beholder' as handling matters. Big ol V8 cars that weigh 4,000 lbs do not perform up there with a high rpm turbo'd go-kart when it comes to handling and braking. If someone thinks their big V8 rear wheel drive muscle car is a sports car - then you're showing your ignorance and have zero experience in the driver seat of something other than your own love affair. I love Ford Mustangs, have a garage full of them, but I dont confuse them with true Sports Cars.

Drive one. Yes, that requires more than reading an article in MT.

Noble M12 - 0-60 in UNDER 4 secs. Curb Weight 2100lb. twin turbo V6 (350hp)
2000_noble_m12_gto-1.jpg

Lotus Elise - 0-60 in 4.3 sec. Curb Weight LESS than 2k lbs. The SC model makes 220 hp
2010_lotus_elise_f34_fe_1_815.jpg

Gretsch

Rocker
A used Lotus Elise seems to be in the price range. I bet you have to pay out the ass for maintenance though.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
My Grandad thought an Eldorado Caddie was a sportscar. So I guess it's in the eyes of the beholder. My definition is something that's a 2 seater that goes and handles better than the average car. Something that is purpose built.

Gretsch

Rocker
it uses a tweaked out the ass Toyota motor ... so I wouldnt think so.

Yeah the engine wouldn't be difficult but I'd be concerned about the suspension etc. I've been snooping around on the Lotus forums for a few months and there seems to be some hidden costs but not too bad.

I'm going to test drive one of these for sure. You can get the SC model and get 220 hp, or (even better) buy an aftermarket supercharger that will turn it into a fire breathing monster.

As for a true sports car ... dont give me the 'eye of the beholder' as handling matters. Big ol V8 cars that weigh 4,000 lbs do not perform up there with a high rpm turbo'd go-kart when it comes to handling and braking. If someone thinks their big V8 rear wheel drive muscle car is a sports car - then you're showing your ignorance and have zero experience in the driver seat of something other than your own love affair. I love Ford Mustangs, have a garage full of them, but I dont confuse them with true Sports Cars.

Agree completely, I put the Monaro forward as an alternative and didn't suggest it was a true sports car. And I am the bloke with "zero experience in the driver seat of something other than your own love affair". I usually ride quickly and drive like the old man that I am. Having said all that, I'd still recommend a big engined coupe as a fun car instead of a nimble hard suspension true sports car, that is unless you intend carving up the mountain passes.

mark66

TT Racer
Going back to the "ol" days, I owned both a muscle car and a sports car. First I had a 1967 GTO, got it in 1968, I sold it in 1970 to my buddy and bought a 1965 Austin Healy 3000. They were absolutely two different platforms. Nothing about them was even close. I realize that was a long time ago but true muscle cars and true sport cars today are still different animals. You've got to figure out which way you want to go.

I guess I'm more of a sports car person than a Motorcyclist. I love the old British two seaters and have owned several.
I still have a Bugeye and a TR-7, along with a Honda S-2000 and I just bought the wife a Genesis Coupe "Track". No verdict on the Genesis yet.
The one that has impressed me the most is the S-2000. 240HP, but you need to keep the RPM's up to get the full experience.

Going back to the "ol" days, I owned both a muscle car and a sports car. First I had a 1967 GTO, got it in 1968, I sold it in 1970 to my buddy and bought a 1965 Austin Healy 3000. They were absolutely two different platforms. Nothing about them was even close. I realize that was a long time ago but true muscle cars and true sport cars today are still different animals. You've got to figure out which way you want to go.

Back in 71 I got involved in a race with a Healy 3000, I was on a new CB750 K2. Windy mountain road, and he did me over fair and square, I only held on to his tail because my brakes were better and I had more speed on the little straight sections. Man he had amazing corner speed.

ivar

TT Racer
for carving up the mountains, I'd love to have an Elise in the stable.
you can't fault Colin Chapmans logic in that light weight is paramount to good performance.

However, for the ultimate in non-practicality, some of those Busa-powered Lotus seven replicas also comes high on the lists.
http://www.super7cars.com/cars overview.html

Bonafide

NBR founder
So Dude, if you were a traffic cop would you just pull that thing over on principle? :D

The Lotus7? You see them around here from time to time. And no, not unless he's waving a flag that says, "I got drugs!" or blasting triple digits. I live on the nicer side of Atlanta. You get to see all kinds of nice cars (and bikes) around here. Lots of richie-rich and professional athletes. I've also managed to make friends thru the years of people who let me drive their bad-ass autos too.

attachment.php

Attachments

• lotus7.jpg
    lotus7.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 0

ivar

TT Racer
that roll cage wasn't pretty , but I'm sure its functional
(and as they say, pretty won't win races)