Sports Cars?

strokerlmt

The Lotus7? You see them around here from time to time. And no, not unless he's waving a flag that says, "I got drugs!" or blasting triple digits. I live on the nicer side of Atlanta. You get to see all kinds of nice cars (and bikes) around here. Lots of richie-rich and professional athletes. I've also managed to make friends thru the years of people who let me drive their bad-ass autos too.

attachment.php

I was reading this thread thinking I have nothing of interest to contribute when I saw the Lotus 7. Back in the late 70's I was living in the Cayman Islands and they are a British Crown Colony so we got deals purchasing from England. A friend bought a Lotus 7 kit in a box. Frame panels complete engine in box. We put it together and of course I got a chance to drive it. It was like a big gocart, low to the grd super fast. He moved bac to england a year later and took the car. Thx for posting this...I had no idea they still make these. The kit my friend bought was $1500.00 delivered....bet they cost at least 2 grand today.
LMT

DandyDoug

750cc
There is a company that makes an authorized copy of the Lotus 7 here in the states, I believe it is called Caterham 7 now.
If you can find that kit you mentioned for $2k let me know and I'll order one too. I'll bet it's more like $20k !!

Bonafide

NBR founder
the fast guys at the autocross around here are driving Mazda MX5s

Here too, but it's not the best drivers in them - seems like it's the drivers who cant stand to be in the middle of pack so they replace the car instead of improving their skill levels.

I drive a 2005 WRX. Guess it's a sports wagon. And amazing what these sound like with an aftermarket exhaust! Would love one of the new STI's. But mine's paid for and will not complain.

If I could afford a muscle car it would be a 68 Camaro SS. My uncle had one in the mid 70's and I fell in love with it!

Attachments

• GCar1.jpg
    GCar1.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 0

Gretsch

Rocker
Nice ride OBryan! I like the Mitsubishi Evolution too. I know that's blasphemy to say to a WRX owner :)

Mitsubishi-Lancer_Evolution_MR_2011_800x600_wallpaper_01-600x426.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks! Average around 20-22 mpg in the city. Mid 30s on a long highway trip. Fill it up on super.

I've wanted one for a long time but it's just not in the cards right now. I have to drive my car for work. I log between 3,000-4,000 miles per month and I need something a little cheaper to operate. I drive a Honda Fit. 35-37mpgs on low grade.

henrys

Street Tracker
I drive a 2005 WRX. Guess it's a sports wagon. And amazing what these sound like with an aftermarket exhaust! Would love one of the new STI's. But mine's paid for and will not complain.

If I could afford a muscle car it would be a 68 Camaro SS. My uncle had one in the mid 70's and I fell in love with it!

I had one of the first WRX wagons in the US (ordered it in 2001). I loved that car! I'm still kicking myself for selling it. It ran a low 14 sec 1/4 with a few bolt ons and it could take 4 + camping gear with no problems.

The wrx has a really bad interior, but i guess people don't buy them for the fit and finish.

I want a sports car often until i start thinking of all the motorcycles I could buy with the money.

Dave

Street Tracker
I was looking at the Subaru Impreza STI... until I realized that 35 grand was out of the budget... I'll stick with TDi VW for a while

I would love to have a Lotus though, definitely the coolest looking sports car of the ones on trial here. The Cayman S is still an old man Porche

nohawk

Rocker
Jeremy Clarksons test of the evo on top gear is classic. I dont know how to post links but its on youtube.