Shaping a Davida Hemlet - anyone try it?

jhillier71

Street Tracker
So....my noggin is the shape of a watermelon and consequently my 'new' Davida helmet has a few pressure points that I want to soften. The inside core is just styrofoam, albiet quite compressed. I am thinking, llike a surfboard, I can shape the foam core a bit with just some sandpaper. Anyone out there try this out yet, or am I delusional and about to destroy an expensive helmet?

RyanRobot99

Street Tracker
...I suppose you can. In theory. But doing so will compromise the helmets integrity to perform as a helmet in an emergency.

Get a Loser or Biltwell helmet if you are just wanting a style.

jhillier71

Street Tracker
Ryan - I thought about the Bitwell but the lack of DOT cert (or any other safety std) is keeping me clear of novelty hemlets. It's bad enough my wife made me double the life insurance when I got the bike :)

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Helmet tips...

So....my noggin is the shape of a watermelon and consequently my 'new' Davida helmet has a few pressure points that I want to soften. The inside core is just styrofoam, albiet quite compressed. I am thinking, llike a surfboard, I can shape the foam core a bit with just some sandpaper. Anyone out there try this out yet, or am I delusional and about to destroy an expensive helmet?
There hasn't been a helmet I haven't reshaped fractionally. The key is to find one close to the shape of your head. In the world of sport bikes, there are different head shapes and therefore different allegiances to different brands of helmets...Arai head versus Shoei head yada. I have a long oval shaped head for example...narrow but long front to back and Arai makes a helmet that fits this.
There are many schools in reshaping the styrofoam and Ryan mentioned one of them. I don't come down quite this strongly as a...motorcycling is no fun if your helmet doesn't fit very snug wlth inner shape matching your head and b...if you don't take off much material, then there will be little influence on protection which all depends on the hit anyway. A little tweak can make a big difference in comfort. I only ride full face helmets to maximize my odds in a crash but that is a different discussion.

Your two options are:
1. locally sand the foam for the hot spots
or
2. Compress the foam for hot spots.

I am of the school that compressing is better than sanding because volume of foam is conserved but either will fractionally reduce impact protection.

A good starting point is identify your hot spots and either use a spoon for localized pressure or your thumb to locally indent the foam.

The best tip I can provide is don't be overly zealous in getting the fit perfect with compressing or sanding. The reason is the foam will assimilate to your head shape over time. You may curse the helmet initally and then after riding for a couple of months forget that you even have it on. As a result many buy a helmet too big by trying it on in the store and it feels more comfortable than the next size down. Big mistake...literally. Helmets loosen over time and best to buy one a bit snug as it will agree more to your head shape the more you wear it.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
I had to tinker with my Davida when I first got it as well. It felt like the helmet was going to close in on my jaw hinges like a vice. I would occasionally take the helmet at the chin strap points and just pull east to west with my hands. I wouldn't try to do a Hulk on it but rather, slow and gentle pressure. I continued doing that for a while. The good news is that the Davida will confirm to your noggin' and it is probably the best helmet that I have ever owned. I am not sure where the pressure point is getting to your head though; I would definitely try compressing gently before sanding.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
Stick your helmet on your head and give it a few slaps where the pressure points are. I know it sounds dumb, but it occasionally works.

Flaco

750cc
O.K. Melon Head!
Here is another trick used by many!
Remove the liner to expose the foam.
Do not sand!
If you know exactly where the pressure points are then thats half the battle.
If not, some have used old fashioned carbon copy paper on the skull. Place the helmet, remove and where the dark areas are the pressure points.
Then heat up a large spoon and sculpt the area to the desired shape by pressing the hot spoon in the area.
Replace liner...This technique doesn't ruin the integrity of the outer foam shell as sanding does.
Sand and you'll have foam powder all over your skull!
It works, if done correctly...
I wouldn't recommend head banging...:chair:

Last edited:

RyanRobot99

Street Tracker
Ryan - I thought about the Bitwell but the lack of DOT cert (or any other safety std) is keeping me clear of novelty hemlets. It's bad enough my wife made me double the life insurance when I got the bike :)

It took a month of daily use for my Fulmer v2 to fit well...

Before you do reshaping I recomend just using it for a while.

jhillier71

Street Tracker
Great advice guys and thanks for the thought put into the responses. I will let you know where I end up with this. I wont be sanding, so if after another month this thing doesnt conform to the melon some gentle love taps and a hot spoon might be the recipe