Scrambler and Bonneville

Texan

moped
I'm new to the forum. I thinking of buying a Scrambler but it seems be a little low on power, why not buy a Bonneville add high pipes, do fork mod new rear shocks. Standard mods to the Scrambler with the more powerful motor at no charge????? What else would need to be done?

rodburner

Rocker
Welcome. Don't depend on specs alone. The firing order of the Scrambler is aimed more at the bottom end torque than the top end HP of the Bonnie. But in either case,you won't go wrong..

FoothillRyder

Two Stroke
Owned a Thruxton before, own a Scrambler now. The Scrambler is just a little more entertaining and 'user friendly' with the 270 motor.

At least ride both before you make the decision.

Iceseven

750cc
Yes either one is a good bike and either would be a good choice. I have had both and prefer the Scram for my use. I live off of a steep and windy USFS road and the 270 does have more tractability than the 360 did and it puts the torque down differently and is actually pretty good in the rough so I traded in my Bonnie and a KLR 650 for the Scrambler.

Also the Scram frame is shorter by 1/2" with a little different geometry and of course a little taller so I fealt it handles a little quicker than my Bonnie did, the Bonnie fealt more planted in the curves but the Scram takes less effort. There a power difference but after some pipes and jetting it doesn't seem like a huge difference to me. Like Rodburner said don't just rely on specs but ride both and see which one really grabs you, but you can't go wrong with either one. Enjoy whichever one you pick!

FoothillRyder

Two Stroke
Yes either one is a good bike and either would be a good choice. I have had both and prefer the Scram for my use. I live off of a steep and windy USFS road and the 270 does have more tractability than the 360 did and it puts the torque down differently and is actually pretty good in the rough so I traded in my Bonnie and a KLR 650 for the Scrambler.

<snip>

I'm curious how you would compare the Scram with the KLR off-pavement.

nofate

Scooter

I bought the Scrambler after selling the KLR650. The main difference for me is noticed in the amount of suspension travel. I don't think I ever bottomed out the KLR shock. The stock Scram rear shocks bottom out quite easily. I have upgraded the suspension (Works Performance shocks in rear, Intidators in front) over the winter and will see if that makes a big improvement or not. Spring hasn't arrived here yet so I haven't got much riding in ths year yet.

I had Kenda 270 tires on the KLR and liked them especially offroad. With the same tires the Scram would do OK in tractibility because of its 270 motor, but its no thumper.

FoothillRyder

Two Stroke
I bought the Scrambler after selling the KLR650. The main difference for me is noticed in the amount of suspension travel. I don't think I ever bottomed out the KLR shock. The stock Scram rear shocks bottom out quite easily. I have upgraded the suspension (Works Performance shocks in rear, Intidators in front) over the winter and will see if that makes a big improvement or not. Spring hasn't arrived here yet so I haven't got much riding in ths year yet.

I had Kenda 270 tires on the KLR and liked them especially offroad. With the same tires the Scram would do OK in tractibility because of its 270 motor, but its no thumper.

Thanks for the quick reply. I've enhanced the suspension on my Scram, as the OE shocks are just cheap and the fork, while okay, deserved the help. I don't expect it to be a dirt bike, as I don't plan on climbing any rocks or jumping any triples; but I'm hoping it's reasonable for trails that don't get too serious. Guess I'll find out next month!

I put Kenda 761's on the bike, as my 'mix' leans heavily toward pavement. As long as I stay away from deep sand and mud I'll be okay.

motomaniac

Street Tracker
I've taken my Scrambler up some pretty nasty off-road tracks that had been tore up by logging trucks. Did just fine because of the torque and the fact that I was taking it easy. Would be fine for most normal off-road activities in stock form.

Iceseven

750cc

Hard to beat the KLR for it's versatility and I really miss it but I am just too into Triumphs so when the Scrambler came out I traded it in. The KLR was much better at everything off-road and even in the twisties the KLR was a blast, it reminded me of riding a bicycle when I was a kid, just totally fun, light and flickable and very Mad Max cool but really the Scram isn't too bad within it's limits on forest roads, for me the Scram fit the bill just for getting me up to my house and allowed me to keep into the Triumphs.

I went with the Avon Distanzias which really improved the road handling but did take away some of the security on gravel.

FoothillRyder

Two Stroke
Hard to beat the KLR for it's versatility and I really miss it but I am just too into Triumphs so when the Scrambler came out I traded it in. The KLR was much better at everything off-road and even in the twisties the KLR was a blast, it reminded me of riding a bicycle when I was a kid, just totally fun, light and flickable and very Mad Max cool but really the Scram isn't too bad within it's limits on forest roads, for me the Scram fit the bill just for getting me up to my house and allowed me to keep into the Triumphs.

I went with the Avon Distanzias which really improved the road handling but did take away some of the security on gravel.

Back many years I had an NX-650 Honda - didn't ride it so it was sold. I don't expect the Scrambler to be close to the NX in off-road capability, just hoping the Scram isn't so much of a handful that it's difficult to ride.

I considered the Avons; but decided to try the Kendas as they've gotten pretty good reviews and should suit my riding habits reasonably well.

casper

Two Stroke
Any bike is a compromise to an extent. I've had my Scrambler for over 3 years now and not one small or large thing has gone wrong with it. I bought it as a 2 year old machine with only 2,000 miles on it. It has now done 12,500 miles; so I've done 10,500 miles in 3 years. I don't use it from about September to March. Sad I know but I'm just soft ! :)

I keep saying to myself I must put new rear suspension units on board, but haven't even adjusted the stock OE set up.

For where I live it is real world riding and it get plenty of nice comments too!

Casper

nofate

Scooter
I was wishing I still had the KLR on Sunday when I took the Scram with stock tires into the bush to check out a mine exploration site. First time down for it...probably not the last. No damage so all is well.

P1000695.jpg

wiseanhyzer

Two Stroke
Looks like you picked a good place to let it rest nofate. It looks soft.

I do a good bit of riding on dirt roads with a guy on a KLR. He drops the KLR all the time. It seems so top heavy where if it starts to go over there's little you can do to keep it upright. The KLR certainly has a better wheel and suspension set up for rough dirt roads but I'm not so sure it's a better bike for cruising forest roads. YMMV.

FoothillRyder

Two Stroke
Looks like you picked a good place to let it rest nofate. It looks soft.

I do a good bit of riding on dirt roads with a guy on a KLR. He drops the KLR all the time. It seems so top heavy where if it starts to go over there's little you can do to keep it upright. The KLR certainly has a better wheel and suspension set up for rough dirt roads but I'm not so sure it's a better bike for cruising forest roads. YMMV.

I'll be able to report on this in a couple of weeks. My riding buddy for the Carrizo Plain rideabout is on a KLR. :cheers: