Rocket riders

Any here except me?

I'm here, but my Rocket's not. I bought a Rocket III Classic Touring new in Sept of '07. The wife and I loved the bike, her for the comfort and room on the back and me for the grin factor every time I rode it. On August 19th this year I left work at 4:30 pm and headed home like most work days. 4 days later I became aware that I was in the hospital, just coming out of ICU, with no memory (still) of what happened in between.
According to the police report, I had passed a woman in her auto. Her statement was that she was doing 60-65 mph and I passed her, the road was clear. She said suddenly I appeared to lose speed, lose control of the bike, and crashed in the middle of the road, the bike and I going end over end and skidding for I don’t know how far. Another person reported that it appeared that my rear tire had locked up causing the crash. The bike ended up on the right hand shoulder in flames and I was in the middle of the road. The bike is totaled, I'm in a little better shape.
I was wearing my leather jacket and chaps but not wearing a helmet. I suffered some massive head trauma, chest pain and messed up my back but hopefully no permanent injuries. No broken bones and I have just recently returned to work, light duty. I feel that someone was watching over me, and I thank everyone that was involved in my rescue. The first responder was with me for 2 hours until I was life-flighted to the nearest trauma center. He told me I stopped breathing twice but he was able to keep me going. I apologized to him and everyone involved for the ordeal I put them through. My wife spent the first four days at the hospital with me and was there each day for the next four days until I was released.
Now I never claim to be a good driver, but I have been licensed and riding for more than 30 years. I don’t believe I could have done anything to cause the accident, and I don’t have any history of blackouts or anything like that. Anyway, the reason I’m posting here is to ask the membership if anyone knows or has heard of any instances where a Rocket III has had the rear tire ‘lock up’. I’ve not found any instances through my own search. If you are aware of any cases would you please pm me with any info you have.
I’m not planning to replace the Rocket, my wife has decided she is not going to ride anymore ( I think she’ll change her mind in time) and I have a 1975 Triumph Trident in the garage I’m working on for next season. It's going to be the ultimate solo bobber!
Thanks, and keep it on two wheels!
Paul

Soulrebel

Street Tracker
Is the back tire locked up on your bike now? Have you looked at your bike to see if you can make any sense of what may have happened?

R

rndtaylor

Oh yes, I am here!

I normally just go to the Ace Cafe, and not the other forums. I will start to check in other places as well.

elecsup1, I hate to hear about your troubles, but I would love to know what the story is on the cause.

get well quickly.

R

rndtaylor

I don't want you to grow up, but I do want you to ride my rocket, on one wheel.

Anytime you are ready, it is yours.

TonUp

Street Tracker
Maybe at the BASH

That is a big bike to wheelie on! I just might! I will be turning 50 soon and I need to slow down a bit! LOL :)

Ton Up!

R

rndtaylor

Slow down! You gotta be kiddin me?

50 isn't old, unless you act like it is.