flooded? won't start...

GuyM

Street Tracker
Yesterday at the end of a ride in 104 degree temp, I got silly and popped the side-stand down, killing the engine, but right at my house.

This morning I went to go start the bike. Smells like fuel... Starter turns over vigorously, but engine won't start... I've got the petcock shut off, and have tried with and without the "choke." No dice... Warm here, morning temp today was about 80 degrees.

She's always fired up so quickly. What's up and how do I fix it???

2006 Scrambler. All stock.

Thanks in advance, Guy

GuyM

Street Tracker
Yup. Just went out and checked the air filter. It's soaked with fuel. Drained and swabbed out the airbox - it had a LOT of fuel just sitting in there. The filter is sitting in the sun now drying out.

Normally I shut off the petcock, but I must have forgotten it yesterday. I had no idea it could/would let That Much Fuel go into the airbox. A little disconcerting... My old bike, really old, a 1980 Suzuki GS 750, had no petcock, so I never developed that habit, until now.

Yikes... That's a lot of fuel just sitting in there...

DavidC

Rocker
Perhaps a float in a carb? You can drain the float bowl with the allen head screws on the outside part of the bowl; they open up the nipple on the bottom.
But a lot of guys, or at least some, say they leave the petcock open. All the bikes I've had had petcocks, so I'm in the habit of shutting it off.

GuyM

Street Tracker
Dried the filter in the sun. Swabbed out the airbox with a rag. Put 'er all back together, crossed my fingers, and she fired right up! Runs fine too. I've put about 50 miles on her since getting the filter & airbox dried out.

Will have a look at those carbs too. Might be a stuck float I suppose... She's been so trouble-free, this really caught me by surprise. I must have forgotten to shut off that petcock... Dang...

It has to be a stuck float valve IMO. I never turn my petcock off, as i always forget to turn it on, & I don't like stalling 2 min into my ride. But I've never had that happen.

GuyM

Street Tracker
"I don't like stalling 2 min into my ride. But I've never had that happen."

Me neither... :)

Right....

Mista Vern

Scooter
Guy, it's a little late now, but check your oil level to see if any gas seeped past the rings and into your crank case. :eeek: If it is high drain it and put in fresh before you run the bike further.

I've had this problem as well Guy, with the same end results. Mine came (the first time) after I gave throttle to make up a large, steep driveway and hit the kill switch while still at a good clip (stupid) so I could stylishly roll to a stop (even more stupid). Wound up popping off the air cleaner and letting it sit for a half hour, then it fired up fine. Second time, killed it with the kickstand, same problem/same solution. After I dehorned and put on the K&Ns I tried to duplicate the problem and couldn't- I have no idea why this would/could make a difference, but I tried a few times and just couldn't get it to happen again. I also leave my petcock open all the time.

I don't think killing the motor would cause the petrol to drain out. I kill mine & roll into my u/g crapark, everytime I park mine at home.

MOSES

750cc
I kill mine with the kickstand, and use the key about equal (rarely use the kill switch)and I've never had that happen. only flip my cut-off if i'm being paranoid.
It had to be a stuck bowl.

drlapo

Hooligan
Dirty needle valve
floats don't stick the needle valves get hung up when dirt gets into them
could have been a flake of paint from the lousy paint sealant triumph puts in the tanks
you might want to put an in-line filter in place

If it happens again, you may have to flush the tank and cleaned the petcock strainer
maybe a good idea to pull the floats and shake them to see if they are leaking

EncoreJoe

Scooter
Is it good practice to turn the petcock valve off every time you park it for a few hours?

I'm probably one who would forget to turn it back on!

Thanks.

Joe

Depends on the Bike

If you have one or more carbs and a manual petcock it IS a good idea. Lots of bikes have a vacuum operated petcock which may or may not (my FXDX does, the DR 650 does not) have an OFF position. Most fuel injected bikes don't have a manual petcock.
There is no guarantee one way or the other about whether or not it will happen, but IF the needle valve in the carb sticks open for any reason, gas will flood the carb, air box and given time the crankcase. I can assure you from personal experience (wasn't on a bike but...) that gas makes a really poor lubricant for the cylinder walls.
It can be a pia learning to remember to turn it on and off but if you don't switch bikes often it just becomes part of your routine.

Bruce

EncoreJoe

Scooter
I've started turning mine off when parking after reading this. It also has another benefit - you find out by feel where the petcock is.

I went to reserve last night for the first time (2nd tank of fuel) and was able to find it on the go with a minimum of fumbling.

Joe

GuyM

Street Tracker
Pretty funny seeing my old post from 2008 dredged up again - have not had a problem since then.

When I put the bike up over the winter I poured some "Seafoam" into the tank and ran it through the carbs.

Early this year a local tuner-guru went through the carbs, but they didn't need any cleaning.

I've gotten real good about the petcock since that incident over a year ago...

Regards, Guy