Riding weather

JEnfield

Street Tracker
What temp do you call it ? I ride when ever I can as long as there isn't salt slurry left on the road . Its a tradition for me to ride on Jan 1 been doing it for 24 yrs brings the new year in right on a ton run down the highway.

Jimmy

Bonafide

NBR founder
Whenever my testicles don't stick to the seat.

Nice. appreciate that visual. :eeek:

In the South, when it's below 40 deg (which aint often), you'll hardly see a soul out riding. Even with heated everything, your body isnt climitized for it and wants to lock up from muscle seizure.

Been doing a long standing Cobra drive on/about Jan 1. Usually about ... I always have to work all night on NYE and earn my money, every last penny of it.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
I call it over 50, but it's got to be a warm 50. Ain't hitting the ton in Delaware kinda hard? I mean it's a smallish State and there's lots of people.

MOSES

750cc
50 is usualy my cut off down here. If its gonna be nice in the afternoon I might brave
the 40's in the morn.

cynr1023

TT Racer
I've ridden in 36 degree weather, but I don't have the gear for it, so i generally don't go out "social" riding if it's below 40. And I'd prefer that it be in the mid 50's for anything longer than an half hour ride.

FrankBlack

Two Stroke
I'm 30 mins away from heading up to Scotland (500 miles north of here). It's in the low 40s at the moment but should drop to 37 tonight. I have lots of layers on but once you ride above 40 mph it gets cold really fast. My fingers feel it the worst. I have heated grips but they don't heat the back of your hands, which is where they get coldest. Just ordered some heated inner gloves and waistcoat which I'll pick up when I arrive, so I'll have a good comparison journey on the way back down.

Stay warm.

Who gives a flying fuck you whimps!!!...if the sun is out you fuckin ride man...if its cold you wear a neck warmer and gauntlets!!!..wake up fuck ya!!!....we are only here once...just fuckin ride!!!...Bourbon usually warms the cockles!!!!!...and yes I get my Thrux in a couple of weeks!!!!whoo hoo motha fuckers....I'm ridin again@!!!!!!!

:gsxr:

Cheers dudes....Bret!!!!

Bonniebret

Rocker
50f is about it for me. I went out on Thanksgiving morning to meet a friend at his turkey bowl game and it was 27f out. That was insane! With the wind chill that made it 12f!

I put the cover on the bonnie this weekend will probably see her again in about 6 weeks.

loxpump

Rocker
When it gets below 50. That's my comfort limit with no windshield and my regular jacket with liner.

R

rndtaylor

I have been out twice in the past week, about 400 miles total, at @freezing, and I froze my ass off. No heated gear, or grips, or windshield, so unless I purchase some more stuff, I am gonna call 40F my lower limit.

DandyDoug

750cc
I used 40 as a cut off point for years unless I was out on a trip, then you just deal with it. I'm leaning toward 50 degrees now but some days I just gotta ride.

One absolute is my annual new years day ride. Doesn't matter the temp or conditions I manage to get out even if it's just a putt through the neighbor hood. How bad can a new year be if you start it out with a ride.

When I was young and stupid I rode all year in MI. finally parked it on the way to work one morning when I had the front wheel in one tire track and the rear in another, sort of like a flat track racer. I fell down twice before I got a block from home. Ah youth !!

buckstoy

Street Tracker
Well I rode to work today and it was 37*, the saving grace was that it is Sunny and Clear and will get into the 60's later on today. Also I just come straight in, which is only abouit 5 miles with stop and go traffic so the wind chill don't get me to bad, hopefully Santa will bring me a scarf to block the wind going down my neck:eeek:.

buckstoy

Street Tracker
...and yes I get my Thrux in a couple of weeks!!!!whoo hoo motha fuckers....I'm ridin again@!!!!!!!

:gsxr:

Cheers dudes....Bret!!!!

Sorry I missed something, did you wreck your old bike or are you patiently waiting for your first? Was it you who posted the black and gold?

And for the rest of you worried about the cold, check out this guy

Last edited:

KingBear

Hooligan
See, it's not that I couldn't ride in cold weather, I just don't want to. It's a big enough pain in the butt riding in nice weather when I just put on my boots, jacket, gloves, helmet, and glasses. Add an extra layer of clothing to that just so I can go out and accidentally find the only patch of ice within ten miles to slide out on? Screw that, I ride for fun!

JEnfield

Street Tracker
Thats why you do the ton on New Years Day all the LEOs are tired from arresting drunks and figure if your stupid enough to be out on a bike you wont be out long LOL.

Jimmy