Preparing for Phillip Island in Dec

Preparations are underway to run the Scrambler in the BEARS supporting races at the Bel Ray 6 Hour at Phillip Island December 3-4. We hope to have a new muffler end pipe fabricated and a small handlebar fairing installed by race day as well as a bit more dyno time to eek out some more power. Here are some pics of the bike as it currently stands...

Scramblerraceprep002.jpg

Scramblerraceprep004.jpg

Scramblerraceprep006.jpg

The bars are genuine Triumph Thruxton items so we cut 25mm from the bottom of the headlight brackets to fit the bars in. The LH clutch lever clamp is off a KTM so that is probably worth an extra 5mph down Gardiner Straight! Note the snap-lid food storage container holding all the wiring tucked in behind the front numberplate! Pretty cool eh?

Last edited:

Kiwi

Two Stroke
How do you rate your chance's against the Duc's, Aprilia's, BMW's, and KTM's? Not knocking you, just wondering what mods you've done to lift the performance, and wondering if maybe your BEARS are split into different classes. Over here they're all in the one class and I wouldn't consider running a Triumph twin in it - a triple like a 675, yes, but not a twin.

Pete R

Banned
Go for it Dave! You'll have a ball I'm sure. :up: PI is a corker of a track, I hope the weather's good for you.

Here's a pic of Peter Hinton hooning in the BEARS on a Thruxton at Eastern Creek -

IMGP8261.jpg

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Damn, really awesome. I'm now dissapointed as hell that the last trackday of the year for me is cancelled due to the weather. Have a ton of fun and always remember ifyou aren't on the brakes you are on the gas

tribear

Street Tracker
How do you rate your chance's against the Duc's, Aprilia's, BMW's, and KTM's? Not knocking you, just wondering what mods you've done to lift the performance, and wondering if maybe your BEARS are split into different classes. Over here they're all in the one class and I wouldn't consider running a Triumph twin in it - a triple like a 675, yes, but not a twin.

Dave's Scram is far from stock. He'll be just fine.

nohawk

Rocker
If there is a more badass Scrambler out there I have not seen it. You going to shoot some video of the race?

Deano

Two Stroke
Dave's Scram is far from stock. He'll be just fine.

Is it possible to see a list of the mod's of why he will be right, and just what a real difference they must make?
Just interested, cause I went to a track day recently, and watching them all scoot around (I mean fly) I was thinking to myself on the way home at 110km on the old scram that there was no way my bike would 'fly' Just wish there was a quicker, cheaper fix to make these bikes a bit more remarkable or even a bit more normal, by todays standards.:scooter:

Some good questions there KIWI. First off, BEARS racing is divided into five formula's (or divisions) and the new Triumph twins get to race in Formula 4 so although all those fancy Aprillias Ducatis et al in Formula 1 might be grouped in the same race, there are five 'races' within the main race if you get what I mean.

Second thing, I have ridden a number of track days on the Scrambler and Speed Triple 1050 this year. I normally ride the Scrammy in the morning sessions and the Speed Triple in the afternoon sessions. At Queensland raceway which has long straights and favours horsepower, the S3 ran times of only 1sec/lap quicker than the Scram at around 1:28/lap on the S3.

Then at the lengthened Morgan Park circuit which is a little tighter than Queensland Raceway my times on the Scram where 1 sec/lap faster than the S3. During the last session on the Scram I held court with a RSV4, a 1098 and a jap 1000 of some sort but as some will be quick to point out, a lot depends on the rider! Best time on the Scram was 1:34.2.

For those who havn't followed my postings on the Scram, the bike is currently pumping 82.5hp at the rear wheel. The Scram with its 270 degree motor produces a little more torque and at lower revs than the Thruxton/Bonneville motors which makes the bike very strong on the drive out of corners. I suspect that this is the 'leveler' between it and the S3 which runs 130rwhp on the dyno. It may be that I am a little less chicken on the Scram than the S3 due of it's lower power but whatever the reason, the Scram is ten times more fun to ride!

ABP_7636.jpg

Tyres, 17" Continental Race Attacks (Street).
scan0003-1.jpg

AD3_2083.jpg

Tyres, 17" Continental race slicks, soft front, med rear.

Last edited:

FoothillRyder

Two Stroke
Some good questions there KIWI. First off, BEARS racing is divided into five formula's (or divisions) and the new Triumph twins get to race in Formula 4 so although all those fancy Aprillias Ducatis et al in Formula 1 might be grouped in the same race, there are five 'races' within the main race if you get what I mean.

Second thing, I have ridden a number of track days on the Scrambler and Speed Triple 1050 this year. I normally ride the Scrammy in the morning sessions and the Speed Triple in the afternoon sessions. At Queensland raceway which has long straights and favours horsepower, the S3 ran times of only 1sec/lap quicker than the Scram at around 1:28/lap on the S3.

Then at the lengthened Morgan Park circuit which is a little tighter than Queensland Raceway my times on the Scram where 1 sec/lap faster than the S3. During the last session on the Scram I held court with a RSV4, a 1098 and a jap 1000 of some sort but as some will be quick to point out, a lot depends on the rider! Best time on the Scram was 1:34.2.

For those who havn't followed my postings on the Scram, the bike is currently pumping 82.5hp at the rear wheel. The Scram with its 270 degree motor produces a little more torque and at lower revs than the Thruxton/Bonneville motors which makes the bike very strong on the drive out of corners. I suspect that this is the 'leveler' between it and the S3 which runs 130rwhp on the dyno. It may be that I am a little less chicken on the Scram than the S3 due of it's lower power but whatever the reason, the Scram is ten times more fun to ride!

ABP_7636.jpg

Tyres, 17" Continental Race Attacks (Street).
scan0003-1.jpg

AD3_2083.jpg

Tyres, 17" Continental race slicks, soft front, med rear.

Good stuff Dave.

I've done some roadracing in my deep dark history (and was pretty good if I do say so myself), and just for fun I did a track day on my Thruxton a few years back. I had tidied up the breathing and she dyno'd 67.5 hp at the wheel and (IIRC) 57 lb-ft. I'd also taken some weight off so she was well under 500 lbs ready to roll. At that track day (at Laguna Seca in CA) I ran laps quicker than everyone other than racers on track bikes. 1:47's (the MotoGP lap record is around 1:22, so...). What most guys don't get is that a properly setup Triumph twin is a reasonably quick bike.

And yeah, it has a lot to do with the pilot.

Cheers! :ride::brit:

Kiwi

Two Stroke
Thanks for the detailed answer Dave. I'd never considered any of the Triumph twins as race bikes before, but you obviously know what you're about and have the bike well set up. Good luck at Phillip Island.

Thanks for the detailed answer Dave. I'd never considered any of the Triumph twins as race bikes before, but you obviously know what you're about and have the bike well set up. Good luck at Phillip Island.

Thanks KIWI.

FootHillRyder, Laguna Seca... I am in awe! We were in Monterey three years ago on the weekend before the MotoGP so we slipped out to the track on our rental bike and rode the pedestrian footpath around the track. Apart from the chipmunks (none of those critters here, just kangaroos) I was most impressed with the corkscrew which looks way more fearsome in real life than on the TV. I still reckon Rossi should have been penalised 10sec for taking a shortcut on Casey on the way down. Hell that was criminal.

USAJuly2008126.jpg

USAJuly2008129.jpg

Last edited:

FoothillRyder

Two Stroke
Thanks KIWI.

FootHillRyder, Laguna Seca... I am in awe! We were in Monterey three years ago on the weekend before the MotoGP so we slipped out to the track on our rental bike and rode the pedestrian footpath around the track. Apart from the chipmunks (none of those critters here, just kangaroos) I was most impressed with the corkscrew which looks way more fearsome in real life than on the TV. I still reckon Rossi should have been penalised 10sec for taking a shortcut on Casey on the way down. Hell that was criminal.

Speed on a racetrack is (as I'm sure Dave will confirm) all about conservation of momentum. Brake less, ride the line that maximizes average corner speed, and get back to WFO as soon as possible. Pretty simple principle really. Then you have to connect each corner with the next while remembering the 'COM' principle. Racing against other machines/riders? Different every time, and not really something that can be explained. My personal approach was to look beyond the guys in front of me, and basically go for that spot.

As for the Cork Screw, it's a tough corner to get right. You can't see the corner at all until after the braking point, you can't see the first apex until after the turn-in point, and you have to get the bike from full-left to full-right lean whilst going over the edge of a cliff. Sure feels good when you get it right. :c

:ride::brit:

Deano

Two Stroke
Awesome stuff you guy's.
AussieDave, I just educated myself by checking your old posts and you deserve this for sure. So impressed with what you have acheived with your scram. Must admit, owning a fairly stock one I am a little envious of the power your has, and not having the resources can only wish. But mostly wish you luck.The time differences you have stated between the triple and the scram have made me think different about the 865.

G,Day Dave
Just a short note to wish you luck with PI, i,m sure the scram will attract so much good press for you. Awesome bike. Also just wondering what way you intend to travel down to PI, if you are following the hume hwy i would love to meet you some where for a chat. i live just ten min from the hwy just south of albury. i could also give you a wonderful bottle of rutherglen durif or shiraz for your victory celebrations.
Cheers John

78gold

Two Stroke
Good Luck at the Island.
I would love to be there but its my sons 21st on the 5th so no way I am allowed to be away.

Time gets flies, the last time I was at the island Doohan was still riding and Randy Mamola was having a ball popping wheelies. Actually I think gardiner may have still been around and now his sons are racing. Man I feel old.

Probably because I am.lol.

Anyway good luck and keep us posted of any other races you guys are attending on eastern seaboard and I will try and get there.
Would love to see and hear a Triumph twin racing again.

Last edited:
G,Day Dave
Just a short note to wish you luck with PI, i,m sure the scram will attract so much good press for you. Awesome bike. Also just wondering what way you intend to travel down to PI, if you are following the hume hwy i would love to meet you some where for a chat. i live just ten min from the hwy just south of albury. i could also give you a wonderful bottle of rutherglen durif or shiraz for your victory celebrations.
Cheers John

Thanks for the offer John, maybe I can call in on the way home... I'll be in a more relaxed frame of mind to share that bottle of Rutherglen's finest! Pls PM your contact no and I will phone ahead for directions if I come home via the Hume.

Hey Nigel, you're never too old mate!

The race organisers emailed the BEARS rider list for Phillip Island yesterday and was pleased to see 39 riders entered and of those, three Triumph 865 twins including myself. Hopefully I'll have someone to race with while all the big Ducati's, Daytona 675's, Bimota's, KTM's, MV's etc clear off into the distance! In addition there are a number of KTM690 Dukes one or two Buells and a couple of 900SS two valve Ducati's entered so it's going to be fun!

Here's the link http://www.the6hour.com.au

Last edited: